android
Old 08-01-2009, 02:41 PM

Default Noise Cancelling

Ive recently bought this MP3 player, but i cant seem to get the built in noise cancelling to work, when i click on the noise cancelling icon on the main screen it says noise cancelling unavailable. unable to execute, then when i put noise cancelling on by the switch on the side of the Walkman, the icon shows at the top but it doesnt cancel any noise. any help?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 08-01-2009, 07:07 PM

You need to use the bundled Sony NC earphone, or buy a noise canceling earphone. Regular earphone will not work.

Old 08-02-2009, 06:07 AM

Are you sure? i read it had noise cancelling built into it, i dont use the headphones that came with it because they dont fit in my ears.

Old 08-02-2009, 07:14 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm positive you have to use the included earbuds. In the box were two different sizes of tips for them, so you might find one that will fit your ears. If you look at the tip of the plug you'll see five contact rings. Those are there so the microphones in the earbuds can communicate back to the player for processing/noise cancelling.

And those in-canal phones are a critical part of the noise cancelling strategy as they go a long way toward blocking external noise on their own.

I'll add: When it works it works extremely well. If you can suffer into using the included buds the benefit is worth it.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The X1000 series DOES require that you use the enclosed IEM's, and almost every review that's been written about it will tell you so.

Here's the link to the ABI>>> review, but I'm too lazy to skim it to see if it's mentioned:
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...000-review.php

Old 08-02-2009, 01:08 PM

The original headphones need to be used because they use a microphone inside the earpiece to work the noise cancellation
Although this raises the question; why wont it work with UE metro.fi 220vi? Couldnt it use the iphone mic on that?

Old 08-02-2009, 01:37 PM

http://stuff.tv/review/Sony-Walkman-...-X1050-review/

^The review above says "Cons Design lacks iPod Touch’s sophistication. Web apps scuppered by dodgy keyboard. Built-in noise cancelling no better than sound isolating headphones" and i thought this is great since i just use standard headphones. Now i feel slightly ripped off although the walkman itself is great. One of the main reasons i got this is because i thought it had built in noise cancelling

Old 08-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Sorry for your confusion, CFCJAM. If you're dissatisfied I suggest getting your money back. Sony never claims noise cancelling works except with the included earbuds. It's built-in because the processing isn't done at the headphones. It requires sound input from the headphone mics to work, though.

As for the review you linked to, ignore any reference to the Touch. Doesn't matter. The included buds ARE sound isolating, and if the reviewer had taken time to set the noise cancelling right he/she would have been more than impressed. First, there are different settings for the environment you're in. I set mine for Office as I don't ride a bus. When active, it eliminates my PC's fan noise (PC sits atop my desk nexy to the monitor), the squeeks of my chair, the sound of the house air-conditioner, all traffic noise from outside, and any plumbing sounds from inside the house. It's hard even to hear my hands clap or fingers snapping.

Tags
noise cancelling