android
Old 06-17-2006, 11:33 AM

Default MSC vs MTP - Which mode do you prefer and why?

So I've been trolling the forums and trying to see which mode is better and why, however it'd be nice if a single thread could some up everything.

Right now, I'm using MSC since I put it on that mode for the firmware update. Haven't tried out the other mode really since I haven't felt a need. A little disappointed in the time it takes to refresh the database in MSC mode once disconnected however that's the only drawback I'm seeing.

So, which do you use and why?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-17-2006, 11:38 AM

Default MSC Mode Preferred

I agree the database refresh is a pain - but it only happens after a disconnect from PC and start.

I like having it as a drive letter and not a connected player device. I don't use WMP to sync, and MSC is fastest with MediaMonkey.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:11 PM
Editor

Dave, from Microsoft started this thread about MTP vs UMS(MSC). He worked with iRiver designing the software for the clix so he has alot of great information on MTP in that thread.

Personally, I preferr UMS... much easeir and less problems than MTP. Plus i feel like i have more control over my music.

Anyway check out the MTP vs UMS debate thread. Good stuff.

MSC = UMS -> the are interchangeable.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBAFROMCA
I agree the database refresh is a pain - but it only happens after a disconnect from PC and start.

I like having it as a drive letter and not a connected player device. I don't use WMP to sync, and MSC is fastest with MediaMonkey.
Does MediaMonkey allow syncing of album art and ratings via MSC?
I'm still deciding which player to go for and syncing with MM (my fav software) is a major factor.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:59 PM

Default MediaMonkey Album Art

Quote:
Originally Posted by StretchArm
Does MediaMonkey allow syncing of album art and ratings via MSC?
I'm still deciding which player to go for and syncing with MM (my fav software) is a major factor.
Yes, it sync's album art but only if you have placed it in the tag. It doesn't move any external graphic files. I just make sure I "Auto-Tag from Amazon" and have "Options" > Save image to tag (if possible) selected.

I just tested and the "Ratings" don't transfer.

Side Note - I have a HP 4700x PPC and it seems to conflict at times with my e270 in MSC mode. If you can see your e200 or it is transferring files erratically check whether any other UMS/MSC devices are attached to your PC.

Old 06-17-2006, 04:56 PM

I prefer MSC as well. It gets all my albumn art across properly. I personally just like to drag my "My Music" folder across each time and it works properly. I have not yet experienced a working MTP transfer.

Note* In WMP there used to be a setting to maintain rating globally. However this doesn't appear to work for me. I'm not sure if I am mis-undestanding this feature or if teh Sansa does not read that information.

Old 06-17-2006, 04:59 PM

for me this is a strictly for fun and recreation player. I use it for working out 90% of the time. So transferring music via UMS is just easier to go back and forth with selected songs. All my music, well a vast majority of it, is kept in folders by artist and album so it's easier to just drag and drop as needed. Could care less about album art so it doesn't matter to me if it goes over or not.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:34 PM

Default To each his own...

It's interesting how different everyone's preference is. My e270 had problems when I first got it. My PC would not recognize the player if it was in MTP mode so for the first week, I used it it MSC. Worked okay, except for ghost files, no easy way to add playlists (may be my ignorance), and no support for Napster purchases. After finally getting it to work in MTP mode, and getting WMP 11 to synch in a reasonable amount of time (others have also had long lags between songs when synching), I don't see a need to go back. I may be in the minority but I actually like the playlist function in WMP 11 and have no problem with auto-synching after I got my system worked out. Whenever I add a song, I drag and drop it into my "everything" playlist and also into a specific purpose playlist i.e. "jazz". This method has worked great for me. I also have no need for album art as I don't watch the player when it is playing. After one very frustrating week, I now love the player.

I guess we will each find which one works best for our own purposes.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:04 PM

i use mtp with musicmatch
it just puts all the files in a big list sorted how i want
but i dont do any auto-syncing i just manually drag and drop the music i want into the little portable device window
and no database refresh required
what stinks is that for some reason wmas dont transfer over (even when they arent drmed)

Last edited by steviep; 06-18-2006 at 01:25 PM.

Old 06-18-2006, 12:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I use MTP mostly because I use Yahoo To Go. And I will switch to Urge once Sandisk makes it Album Art compatible with Urge. I also use WMP10 auto-sync the same way as Winste2. Playlists work very well in Winamp with MTP, but without album art.
MSC mode doesn't work well when you don't listen to music in the same folders/genres. It makes Album Art a headache. I would be doing doing more drag and drop or making playlists then I would be listening to the music.

Old 06-19-2006, 08:25 AM

I prefer MSC mode but one single issue has made me use MTP mode instead, the database refresh, the fact that every single time you unplug it even if you were just charging the unit when in MSC mode is horible as it is rediculously long once you have the player loaded up, with around 4.5-5gb on it it's like 6 mins.

Old 06-19-2006, 06:59 PM

I'm just a bit lost, what is the difference between MSC and MTP? I haven't changed the mode on my player since I bought it, and I haven't had any problems except some album art not transferring. I too use MediaMonkey, and use the same settings as TBAFROMCA stated on the previous page. But then again, even when I have listened to it, I kept it in its case and in my pocket because the screen is developing some small scratches from me cleaning it. So I don't get a chance to view the album art, and honestly you cant enjoy it for maybe more than a few seconds.

Old 06-20-2006, 08:24 AM

In MSC mode the player is a USB mass storage device and shows up under my computer as a drive letter and can be used just like any drive can be, and you can stick music anywhere you want on it and the player will play it, however everytime you unplug the player from the computer it reads everything on the player too recreate it's database of music.

In MTP mode it shows up as what looks like a little mp3 player icon called Sansa e2x0, you can still drag and drop music but only into the media\music folder, but it automaticaly updates the database realtime as you add or remove stuff so you can unplug and use it right away without the database refresh which can get very long with lots of stuff on the player. MTP mode is I belive also needed for transfering using media player and for putting on any DRM "infected" mp3's from the online places you can buy them from.

Old 06-20-2006, 10:12 AM

I use MSC mode, but only because MTP mode doesn't work right on my computer. Whenever I plug it in, the Sansa icon appears in the tray, but when I click on it, it disappears. I've tried reinstalling the 12A firmware, but it's no use. I figure it will work alright once the new firmware comes out. If anybody has any ideas, please share.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiltz
In MSC mode the player is a USB mass storage device and shows up under my computer as a drive letter and can be used just like any drive can be, and you can stick music anywhere you want on it and the player will play it, however everytime you unplug the player from the computer it reads everything on the player too recreate it's database of music.

In MTP mode it shows up as what looks like a little mp3 player icon called Sansa e2x0, you can still drag and drop music but only into the media\music folder, but it automaticaly updates the database realtime as you add or remove stuff so you can unplug and use it right away without the database refresh which can get very long with lots of stuff on the player. MTP mode is I belive also needed for transfering using media player and for putting on any DRM "infected" mp3's from the online places you can buy them from.
Thank you for this explanation. I assume, then, that my player is in MTP mode, and I have had no problem whatsoever until this point. The only confusing thng is that the player has the DATA and MEDIA folder, and the DATA folder has a subfolder name "PHOTOS", and the MEDIA folder has a subfolder named "PICTURES"...and what I'm assuming is the PHOTOS folder is used for the user pictures to view, and I'm assuming the PICTURES folder is used for the album art? I'll do some experiments, and maybe I'll learn something new.

I have another question...If I were to take my player to school and plug it into one of the school's computers, in MSC mode, would it identify the player as a mass storage device WITHOUT having to install the software? (The school's computers have a deep freeze, which keeps only programs that are "frozen" into place left on the computer after every restart).

Thanks again for the explanation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encen
I use MSC mode, but only because MTP mode doesn't work right on my computer. Whenever I plug it in, the Sansa icon appears in the tray, but when I click on it, it disappears. I've tried reinstalling the 12A firmware, but it's no use. I figure it will work alright once the new firmware comes out. If anybody has any ideas, please share.
If I am not mistaken, that icon that appears is simply to hide the "Choose an action" wizard that shows whenever you plug a device into Windows XP. If you don't know what I'm talking about, plug it in, and a window will pop up saying "What do you want Windows to do?" and it allows you to choose a default action for the device each time it is plugged in. At least, that is what it is on my computer, but I don't know if the same thing goes for the newer firmware.

Last edited by l337killa07; 06-20-2006 at 12:09 PM.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by l337killa07
I have another question...If I were to take my player to school and plug it into one of the school's computers, in MSC mode, would it identify the player as a mass storage device WITHOUT having to install the software? (The school's computers have a deep freeze, which keeps only programs that are "frozen" into place left on the computer after every restart).
It should work fine, I am locked out from installing anything on my computer at work and I can use my player fine on it, both in MSC and MTP mode actualy. Though you're school's computers sound like they are locked down even worse than my work computers so i'd say try it and see, if you are able to use any other usb storage devices though like flash drives then MSC mode will work fine as in that mode it acts the same as any one of those flash drives.

On the pictures and photo folders that would be my guess, one is just storing for transfer to another computer and the other for viewing on the player, though you can't drag and drop to use in the player, you need to use the software it came with to convert and load the pictures on.

Old 06-20-2006, 12:48 PM

^^^^
Yeah, I'm able to use it in both MSC and MTP mode at work also with no problems. I didn't think it would work seeing as how I can't even install Flash player or upgrade WMP by myself. I would say try it out at school and see how it works out.

Oh and yeah, when I click on the icon, I get the choose an action, but the icon disappears. I thought the icon was also there to be able to disconnect the player safely from the computer though. When I plug it in MSC mode, the generic USB icon stays there and I can click on it to "safely remove hardware".

Old 06-21-2006, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiltz
It should work fine, I am locked out from installing anything on my computer at work and I can use my player fine on it, both in MSC and MTP mode actualy. Though you're school's computers sound like they are locked down even worse than my work computers so i'd say try it and see, if you are able to use any other usb storage devices though like flash drives then MSC mode will work fine as in that mode it acts the same as any one of those flash drives.

On the pictures and photo folders that would be my guess, one is just storing for transfer to another computer and the other for viewing on the player, though you can't drag and drop to use in the player, you need to use the software it came with to convert and load the pictures on.
My friend's have used FlashDrives/ThumbDrives with absolutely no problem. The freeze on our computer doesnt stop us from installing, its just what we install isnt there the next reboot. I wont have a computer class next year, but I might drop in occaisonally to print a report :P.

I figured out the hard way that you can't just D/D pictures onto the device, because like I said I was confused by the folders, and expected to see the pictures on there but put them in the wrong folder. The program isnt really necessary for me, since my camera saves in .JPEG format, so the program doesnt need to convert, and any other pictures I have (desktop/game snapshots, etc) I convert into JPEG mode since they take ALOT less space (~170kb compared to a 1,300kb BMP file).

Thanks for the help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by encen
^^^^
Yeah, I'm able to use it in both MSC and MTP mode at work also with no problems. I didn't think it would work seeing as how I can't even install Flash player or upgrade WMP by myself. I would say try it out at school and see how it works out.

Oh and yeah, when I click on the icon, I get the choose an action, but the icon disappears. I thought the icon was also there to be able to disconnect the player safely from the computer though. When I plug it in MSC mode, the generic USB icon stays there and I can click on it to "safely remove hardware".
That's a good function of Windows, that it detects removable storage and stops file transfer before disconnecting. I feel icky disconnecting my player while it still has any status screen on it, because I think its still transferring.