android
Old 07-14-2009, 03:10 PM

Default Very slow boot up, any way to fix this?

I have had my S9 for a few months, and up until a few weeks ago, it booted up speedily, at less than 10. However, I never had much more than 10 gigs on it (16 gig capacity). Now I have about 15 gigs on it, and it boots up very, very slowly, my estimate is about 30 or 40 seconds. Could the amount of space I have taken up effect the boot up speed?

Normally I use a PC with Mediamonkey to sync up and load files, but I am at camp and am away from that computer. I have been using a Mac Powerbook to charge and add files onto my S9.

I noticed the slow boot up after the first time I connected and disconnected my S9 from my Mac. It was accompanied by my OS freezing several times, which I fixed by reconnecting it to my Mac and disconnecting it again. Now, after everytime I plug in to charge my player, my now playing is wiped clean and it has no memory of what I was playing before my connection.

I am hoping that either the small space left or the Mac is causing this problem, that it's not actually a problem with the player.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-14-2009, 03:13 PM

Don't take my word for it, as I have no experience with Macs, but you may be having an issue with ds_store files. You'll need a tool to wipe them. Other people here know better than I, but that's a start.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Blame the Mac. 95% of the problems I've seen at ABI can be traced right back to the mac. I'm almost convinced Apple does that intentionally since it's not an iPod.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
I'm almost convinced Apple does that intentionally since it's not an iPod.
Or perhaps iPod is just designed to overlook the crap Mac stores, since both run Mac OS (iPods run a modified minified version).

Old 07-15-2009, 01:59 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Is there any way to get rid of the ds.store?

Old 07-15-2009, 02:07 PM

You could create a batch file that gets rid of it. I have no idea how that would work on OSX, but I'm using one to get rid of jpg/txt/pdf/etc files I transferred to the S9 on Windows.

Old 07-15-2009, 02:17 PM

I have no idea how to do this on a Mac, but if you can find a PC to plug it into, you can do the following to get rid of the files.
  • Plug in the S9 in MSC mode
  • Windows should say which drive letter was assigned to the S9, if not, check in My Computer
  • Click Start > Run... and type: cmd to open a command prompt
  • At the command prompt, type: F: [return] (where F is the drive letter of the player)
  • Then type: del /s ds.store [return]
It may take a little while to run through all of the data on the S9, but this'll delete all files called ds.store in all directories and subdirectories on the S9.

Hope it helps.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:27 AM

Okay, thanks for the replies. I finally found a PC to plug in to. However, when I tried deleting the ds.store files off of my S9, Windows said that it could not find any ds.store files. I looked through the directories and could not find any either. My S9 still boots up slowly. I am thinking about doing a factory reset...would that help?

Old 07-23-2009, 04:04 PM

sounds like a prob with your mac, cause i have got a 32gb filled nearly completely and it boots up in < 5 secs. Can't help fix your prob tho, gl.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:33 AM

You sure it can't find any?

What Windows OS is the computer running? This technique is for XP, if you're running Vista, it's slightly different...

1. Go to your S9's root folder on your computer.
2. Click the icon labeled "Search" on the top bar...somewhere, I can't tell you exactly where.
3. Go to the options that have appeared on the left, and if prompted, select to search for all files and folders.
4. Go to Advanced Options at the bottom, and select to look for hidden files and folders and to not look in subfolders.
5. Leave the search keywords blank, and click Search. If done right, you should be looking at the root menu of your S9, and there may be a few files, one of which is called ds_store, as someone pointed out.
6. Delete all files not supposed to be there. The way you can tell is that their icons will be transparent.

You should be fine after that.

If you need directions for Vista, message me, because it is slightly more complex and confusing.