android
Old 07-16-2009, 11:21 PM

Default S9 file issues

Hey all,
Thanks to some of your prodding I decided on an S9 and I couldn't be happier. Like others have said, the build quality really seems excellent and it's not too light at all. And the sound... T_T Definitely better than my D2 (to my ears, at least, could be shopper's high).

Anyway, I'm having problems with certain files refusing to play (typical finnicky Cowon firmware, but I'm used to these issues...). This first happened with some mp3 files that work perfectly fine on my D2 (320 kbps - looking at the tag info I noticed they were encoded by iTunes). I tried converting them to ogg and still no dice. Later, I ripped a CD to my comp and encoded it to 500kbps ogg using Grip (on LinuxMint) and these files also gave back an invalid file error. Sooo, is there anything I should be looking out for in terms of tag info? Should I reencode? Not quite sure why these files work on my D2 but not my S9.

Thanks a lot for any help anyone can offer.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-18-2009, 01:53 AM

Nobody?

Old 07-18-2009, 04:52 AM

you using windows??? windows apparently has the least problems with the S9.
Maybe u cld try using mediamonkey, apparently its the best free program for conversion and tagging etc as it almost always works for the s9, according to the guys here anw

Old 07-18-2009, 02:38 PM

No windows... I'm using linux. Maybe I'll have to install the w7 rc on a partition. I did, however, find a program called rubyripper which seems to do a better job of ripping cds. Now I just need to find out what's wrong with the few mp3s and oggs that I already have that don't play.

Thanks for the advice.

Old 07-18-2009, 05:28 PM

The S9 sucks when it comes to tags but I dont know if thats your problem.
I spent all night fixing tags that were making my flacs come up as Unknown Artist/Unknown. Ive also found a couple vids that for whatever reason crash the S9, never had that error with music though, I've been using MP3tag in windows to fix my tags, might not be the fastest but Im able to delete tags, download proper tags and link the album art properly.

Old 07-18-2009, 07:38 PM

im using vista, i can just tag the mp3 files via the explorer, they work just fine, i use mp3tag too. but maily for my flac files, my tag problems with s9 disappeared in one of the firmware updates... like... three updates ago

Old 07-18-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prettyclassy View Post
The S9 sucks when it comes to tags
I maybe wouldn't use the work 'sucks' but it's certainly far more picky than my ZVM. I too have spent ages getting album art embedded into the files via WMP11 and JA, which showed on my ZVM so long as it showed in WMP11. Not the case with the S9. Also, capitalisation was an issue. if there were some songs tagged with, for example, the abum name 'Ride The Lightening' and some with 'Ride the Lightening', the S9 would see these as two different albums. The ZVM didn't. You've just got to invest some time if you want to get the most out of your S9.

That said, the S9 is the superior PMP compared to the ZVM which is a great device itself. But then, you'd expect that with the ZVM being several years old now.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:33 PM

Yeah, I've definitely been having problems with tag info showing up correctly. I spent a while today using easytag to add album art to several albums and then retransferring them to my s9 only to find that, not only did the album art not show up, but it also caused the rest of the tag info to go bye bye (unknown artist, etc.) The tag info is definitely still there on my computer though. Guess I need to make sure they're all jpgs.

Maybe it's my program... Does anybody know if mp3tag works well under wine?