android
Old 07-07-2009, 09:46 PM

Default My first thoughts on the x1061

Ok, so I've had my X series 32gb for 5 days now and I thought that I would give you my first impressions.
A little background, I have an A series (A728) 8gb and also used an E but if your reading this then you have probably read my review on that piece of trash. I thought that I really wanted and needed 32gb but in hindsight after maxing out the X I realized that 16 would have sufficed for me. With 7000 songs on my player I found that I really only listen to about half of them. Perhaps I'll find the extra capacity to be usefull by loading some dvd's on it.

So the good and the bad..........

The Good:
Typical high quality sony build standards. Fit and finish is perfect. And to those here complaining about the 80s' retro stonewashed look, don't worry, it's only on the edge and you only notice it by feel which is a good thing.
Sound quality is great. I initially thought that it was lacking a little base compared to my A with the same sound setings but now I have decided that it's really just a flatter, truer, cleaner sound kinda like the Clip or Fuse. The volume seems as if it's just a hair lower then my A. Normal volume level on my A is 16 and on the X is 17.
The oled screen looks awsome. The colors are alot more vibrant then I anticipated. But bewarned, it's very tempting to jack up the brightness for enjoying the screen at the expense of draining the battery.
The youtube link is very cool but other then being at home, how often can you actually access an open/free wifi signal?
I really like the ability to set the hold for touch screen only and still use the buttons and I just love the big home key at the bottom. Very easy to start or restart your searching through the player.
Full compliment of Sony settings and enhancements but I don't think that the volume normalizer works as well as on the A series.
The volume rocker switch seems better then the A series.
I also like the ability to change the wallpaper to any photo you want.
The large Album art is very nice and you can tap the artwork to get rid of the overlapping buttons.
The search by initials is also great, even more convienent then the A.

The Badand there's lots of it)
Look, I really wanted to love this player. Who wouldn't after dropping $400, but I am just so disappointed in it that I ALMOST regret buying it.
ABI first started talking about this thing on 12/12/08 and I've been really anticipating it.
Now I said ALMOST. Everyone seems to concur that the touchscreen interface and firmware on the X is the best, most responsive technology on the market, even better then the S9 or P3. Well if thats true, then I don't want to touch any of the latter because the Sony IMHO is slow and unresponsive. Everything on this machine is SLOW. The album art has a lag to it on the now playing screen and if you choose to scroll through all album art at a quick pace, it's like the Roadrunner waiting for Wiley Coyote to catch up in regards to display write/refresh times.The virtual buttons require too much patience to hit them just right at the correct angle and length of press.I have encountered alot of non presses. Even the physical button commands are slow to respond and require a steady rate of pressing. Weird, huh? My A can move as fast as I can press buttons. This thing moves so slow it almost makes me think that it has a harddrive and not flash memory.
Speaking of buttons, the hard ones at the top are of nice quality but they are too small and crowded by the headphone jack, especially if you use phones with a right angle plug. Sony should enlarge the buttons and move them more to the right, and/or put the headphone jack back on the bottom where it belongs.
At the now playing screen you are now missing the year and genre info plus you are unable to drill through the album, artist, songs, genre, and year links like you could on the A series.(my 2nd biggest gripe w/the X)
The fonts are all very small making them not only harder to read (especially while driving), but harder to press accurately.
When you have the touchscreen on hold and are using the hardware buttons to control play you will find that the screen displays whatever the last display was, even a menu. This should always show the now playing display when on hold, when actived. Also if you press the home key the display will pop up if you want to see whats playing, but if you press it twice then the main menu shows up and you will have to take the player off hold and hit the now playing button to restore music info.
Noise cancellation is kinda worthless. Yea, it works a little but also introduces some kind of low hum/hiss into your listening enviroment. I would have rather the NC switch be used as a on/off for the wireless connection. The wifi is both a battery drainer and a pita to quickly enable/disable. It really needs a switch ofr shortcut, either hardware or virtual.
Wifi: Pathetic, absolutly inexcusable. I cannot begin to describe how bad this is. It's so frustrating that I refuse to use it.
Lastly, my most frustrating, irritating point is the !@#$ing creating library that happens everytime you charge via usb. This began with the E series and Sony seems determined to piss me off with the X. Basicly what happens is even when you charge with no changes to the player, it acts as though you have synced new files and reverts back to the first song in your player. Extremly frustrating when you have 7000 songs on shuffle and I have to start over each and every day.

Other misc. thoughts:

The player is quite heavy. I have not decided if this overall is good or bad. The weight of it tends to keep it in your shirt pocket but if it falls, it will certainly hit with greater force and stress on the headphone jackand player. In contrast when my Clip falls, I feel like there is almost no stress or damage to the player or headphone jack/plug due to the lack of weight/stress.

While we are on the subject on headphones, the ones included w/ the X are very good just like most Sony's but for some reason they do not connect well to other devices. The plug looks a little different, mabey due to noise cancelling. Also, when is Sony going to start putting a right angle plug on their included IEM's. Although a staight plug is actualy better in this case until it goes bad because the straight ones always seem to go bad quicker then the right angles. Also the headphone cord is very short with no included extension making it difficult to carry in your back pocket.

Pics: look great due to the OLED.

Podcasts: I have no experience.

Radio: Don't use it, EVER.

Slacker: Have not had time to try it but I've checked out their web site, sampled their offerings, and I'm really looking forward to it.

Videos: I really want to put some dvd's on here (especially my music videos) but I have no idea where to begin or what software to use. The sample videos do look really good.

Conclusion:
I fell in love with this player prior to it's release but now it's more of a love/hate relationship. It sounds great and has a great screen but has too many shortcomings. Based on the current offerings of players, if, like
myself want 32gb, good build quality, internet/youtube, and Slacker radio then the Sony is it but I will not recommend it. The saddest thing is all they had to do was bump up the flash memory in the A or S players, they were as close to perferct as you could get without external/expandable memory. Why does Sony insist on fixing stuff till it's broken? Almost all the problems/quirks I listed could be repaired (including a better browser) with a firmware update, but we all know how Sony feels about that.

Bottom line is there is no excuse for any of these problems in a $400 player especially when they had obtained perfection in the A & S series. This will be my last Sony purchase at initial release and perhaps my last Sony mp3 player purchase period. I am sickened and disappointed beyond mere words after waiting 7 months for this thing to come to market. I really expected Sony's flagship player to be perfect. But it may be the best of the worst in the 32gb class.

After all the anticipation of this model, on a scale of A to F I grade it a "C".

Just my opinion, and I may update at a later time. I'm sure that I missed some stuff along the way.
Please comment if you find any error in my conclusions.

BTW: I know, please don't remind me that my spelling is probably poor

Last edited by dmnoland; 07-08-2009 at 06:12 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-07-2009, 11:58 PM

Features presented as negative, need not be perceived as such by others - in fact, possibly on the contrary regarding at least some of the "issues":

Many users will appreciate the new localization on the top of the players, for obvious reasons: One is that the cabel then has a natural way up from your shirt-pocket.

I have also had the experience with the A model (A-829), and I like it. But I have NOT experienced the X model as being slower. Can there be something wrong with your device?

Noice Cancellation really works well, astonishingly well on my X series device, and many other reviewers have reported the same.

You Tube worked surprisingly well, and also the touchscreen.

Agree that WiFi could and shold be better, but this feature is not very important for me.

Also: Hope someone in this Forum can give us links to converting software that WORKS for Videos and also give us the correct settings, settings that work. (Most of us have have litte motivation to waste several days trying to make this right.)

My most positive and important experience with the x series: The sound quality is the best I have ever heard for a device in this segment.

Last edited by mandersen; 07-08-2009 at 06:45 AM.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:37 AM

You said that the touchscreen of the X isn't responsive - sorry but I have to disagree with you there. I've been playing with a few touchscreen mp3 players, like the iTouch 2nd ed., Samsung p2 and the Cowon S9 and I have to say that the Sony has the best touch responsiveness by now. Like mandersen said, maybe it's your device?

And you mentioned about the volume - well, we may have different type of ears/hearings but the volume on the X sounds louder and much clearer than my old a818. Or maybe you were referring to the a829 which I didn't own.

About the library thing - This behaviour is normal. I have 25GB loaded on my X1060 and it takes just about 2-3 seconds to finish creating the library. And also, if you charge the device via an AC adapter, it won't bother you with the library thing.

You're right about the browser. It looks cheap and isn't user friendly at all. I wish Sony had used Opera mini or Safari for the browser.

Last edited by robiceli; 07-08-2009 at 04:10 AM.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:44 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The slowdown may get worse as you add more songs to the X. Most reviewers try and demo it with just a few in place. Obviously the more files it has to cull tags out of them more it has to work. Just a theory.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:12 AM

I have filled up about 16GB of the x-1061's 32GB, and I don't notice any slowness or sluggishness at this level.

Last edited by mandersen; 07-08-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Old 07-08-2009, 01:04 PM

I do not find any sluggishness in terms of response to touch input, however when scrolling down 'All Songs' list there are occasional blank lines/gaps where song names should be. The names appear after a second or so once I stop scrolling so it's no big deal. In addition there is a very slight lag while album art loads occasionally. Again, no big deal, just confirming a couple of dmnoland's observations.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:44 PM

How strange...I have the A728 and a E series too xD

but I want the Cowon S9...but the size....its too big -.-

BTW...how the x compare with the A728 in sound quality ??

the A728 SQ with the EX082 Headphones is great

Old 07-08-2009, 06:43 PM
ABI Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR Mclaren View Post
Both very good, but i would describe the X series as less cold or less digital compared to the A728.
Check out the SQ section in my review.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTR Mclaren View Post

I agree with Enzo and it's like I said, the sound is very flat, pure, true, however you want to word it. It really sounds similar to my Clip and Fuse.

Old 07-08-2009, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnzoTen View Post
Both very good, but i would describe the X series as less cold or less digital compared to the A728.
Check out the SQ section in my review.
So Enzo, You have had your X longer than anyone here. Do you find my experience to be about the same as yours or do you think that my player is a lemon?
I did some research today and found the following:
Now keep in mind that I have all 32gb filled, but while playing it takes approx.:
3 seconds to advance/skip to the next song, with another second or two to produce album art.
2-5 hardware button presses to go back to the last song.
2-3 hardware button presses to resume play from pause/stop/power off.
45 seconds to show menus when hiting the search icon and selecting album, artist, songs, genre and then another 10 seconds to begin play once a selection is made. Really? 55 seconds to access one track?

Looking for any advice here. Is this normal? Should I format the player? (I would hate to have to reload 32 gigs from scratch) Is it A lemon? Would corrupted files play a part? I'm at a loss. This is why I expressed such disappointment.

Also is it normal for the player to power down/standby after just 1 second of being paused?

Last edited by dmnoland; 07-08-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Old 07-08-2009, 08:19 PM

do you use album art for ur music files? i have a cowon s9 and accidently put a jpeg that was 900x900 as the album art. when i came across that file it took 10 seconds for the song to play and display the art. just a thought, maybe your album art is too big? ill be getting my walkman im about 3-4 days and will test this out. btw, i use 500x500 for album art.

Old 07-08-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixed_gears View Post
do you use album art for ur music files? i have a cowon s9 and accidently put a jpeg that was 900x900 as the album art. when i came across that file it took 10 seconds for the song to play and display the art. just a thought, maybe your album art is too big? ill be getting my walkman im about 3-4 days and will test this out. btw, i use 500x500 for album art.
No, At least I don't think so since all of the delay that I encounter is the same regardless of individual files/album art. Also I have had all these same files on my other Sony at one time or another. However I did run across one track yesterday where the player told me that the file was corrupted and could not play it. My line of thought was perhaps that corruption was bleeding into other player operations.
Funny, with my guessing at whats wrong you would think that we are discussing a Sansa or Cowon product, Damn, this is Sony, it's supposed to just work, no matter what!

Old 07-08-2009, 09:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnoland View Post
Funny, with my guessing at whats wrong you would think that we are discussing a Sansa or Cowon product, Damn, this is Sony, it's supposed to just work, no matter what!
Hey now, my Clip and Fuze work like a charm! But I've had lots of good luck with Sony products over the years too.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Hey now, my Clip and Fuze work like a charm! But I've had lots of good luck with Sony products over the years too.
yea, I have both also. But I had to exchange the Fuse once and the Clip twice. At least Sansa puts out regular, player enhancing firmware.

Old 07-09-2009, 12:25 PM
ABI Founder

@dmnoland
I haven't been able to replicate your problems on a 16GB version. However, i dont think you have a lemon- i think its likely a firmware issue in not being able to properly handle the cache or not handling maybe as someone suggested above album art properly. Or perhaps they are not properly allocating the cache when the player is near full like in your case.

I'm now running into some issues where my sony x is not handling some files correctly. Today it was crashing on every single track near the end and spitting back "this file will not play" messages.

I am curious to know if there are any other 32GB X owners that are having the same issue.

What you should do and what i have already done is go to sony style and go to support and bring this issue up. Also point them to this thread so they have more information to go with. I know it has helped Samsung and others in the past correct issues. So we will see how responsive Sony is to our complaints.

Old 07-13-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Podcasts: I have no experience.

Radio: Don't use it, EVER.
Podcasts is buggy, very poor and badly implemented. Subscribing and downloading is an absolute pain, and is very hit or miss. The default podcast directories are quite out of date. Sony seriously needs to look how Apple does things here.

The radio is really very good, one of the better radios I've used on this type of device. Add RDS and it would be perfect.

Old 07-21-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
do you think that my player is a lemon?
I did some research today and found the following:
Now keep in mind that I have all 32gb filled, but while playing it takes approx.:
3 seconds to advance/skip to the next song, with another second or two to produce album art.
2-5 hardware button presses to go back to the last song.
2-3 hardware button presses to resume play from pause/stop/power off.
45 seconds to show menus when hiting the search icon and selecting album, artist, songs, genre and then another 10 seconds to begin play once a selection is made. Really? 55 seconds to access one track?

Looking for any advice here. Is this normal? Should I format the player? (I would hate to have to reload 32 gigs from scratch) Is it A lemon? Would corrupted files play a part? I'm at a loss. This is why I expressed such disappointment.

Also is it normal for the player to power down/standby after just 1 second of being paused?
Anyone else having problems?
I have checked all my tags/album art, reformated the player, reloaded all my music, and still this thing is SLOW!
I only have a week left to exchange/return it so I was wondering if there are similar problems out there. BTW, my problems seem to start at about the 16 gb level which leads me to believe that it's just a crap processor.

Old 07-21-2009, 11:05 PM

Hi,no problems & mine is fair full,4.92GIG Free,as been fuller as well.Just tried as per your post,Milli Sec's near enough for most,if not instant.

Cheers BOB

Last edited by bibio; 07-21-2009 at 11:11 PM.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:22 PM

I just got mine yesterday and so for, it's disappointing. The sound quality is no better than my iPhone 4. The OLED display is crap compared to the Retnia Display. No artwork when using WAV. files. Stock headphones sounds like crap compared to my MDR-EX300. I am a Sony fanboy, but this is a failed compared to the iPhone 4.

Old 02-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Thanks for bringing back the Necro Thread,...