android
Old 07-01-2009, 09:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Lightbulb Sony X1000 available @Dell

The X1000 series is selling on the Dell website, and both the 16 & 32gb models are in stock: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/c...0%7e148359&p=1

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-02-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
The X1000 series is selling on the Dell website, and both the 16 & 32gb models are in stock: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/c...0%7e148359&p=1
That or you can check the Sony Style in your area if they have it on stock but call first before going to the Sony Style store. i call & they had it on stock on June 30,2009 in 550 Madison Avenue in NYC.

Old 07-02-2009, 04:51 PM

Became availabe now on Amazon very early this morning. Snatched mine up w/ 1 day shipping, should be here friday. Paid a whopping $95 due to a bunch of gift certificates and no, I would not have paid full retail for it otherwise.
Also I heard a news story that Amazon is doing away with all sales to North Carolina starting tomorrow due to the crazy liberals here trying to tax the internet. So I'll be busy tonight shopping while I still can. Damn, I really hate the government!!!

EDIT: After extensive research on the web I cannot confirm that Amazon is completly dropping NC, but my UPS driver did confirm this.

Last edited by dmnoland; 07-03-2009 at 05:43 AM.

Old 07-02-2009, 06:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Dang. I'd have one for $95. Not $299 though.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Retail price at Amazon is $392.97
Where did you find one for$299?

Old 07-02-2009, 10:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmnoland View Post
Retail price at Amazon is $392.97
Where did you find one for$299?
I think Olley meant the 16gb model, though I might be mistaken. And, I'd DAMN well snatch 1 up for $95 myself, and @32gb.

Old 07-02-2009, 10:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Yes, I meant the 16gb model. $400 is an insane price to pay for 32gb anymore. There is a 32gb touchscreen player with microSDHC slot and 4.3" screen avilailable on Amazon for pre-order at $189. It plays MP3,WMA,FLAC,AAC,APE,and OGG music files. AVI,RM/RMVB,FLV,WMV,3GP, and DAT video files, although I've never heard of the last two.

Old 07-03-2009, 12:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Yes, I meant the 16gb model. $400 is an insane price to pay for 32gb anymore. There is a 32gb touchscreen player with microSDHC slot and 4.3" screen avilailable on Amazon for pre-order at $189. It plays MP3,WMA,FLAC,AAC,APE,and OGG music files. AVI,RM/RMVB,FLV,WMV,3GP, and DAT video files, although I've never heard of the last two.
Hey, it's one of those "Latte" players. I'm not hearing good about them, but I'm not hearing bad either. Still, this is a PERFECT example of how cheap the storage media for dap's has become. No reason why any player should be this expensive any longer. Unless,........ because "It's A Sony!!!".

Old 07-03-2009, 07:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I think the Lattes look better than most of the Chinese players. Hard to know unless you try one though. Few reviews if any at this point. There is another good looking one with a 420 x 240 screen like Sony's. Not OLED though. 16gb for $140ish. FM transmitter.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

IDN, I kinda' like the "Cafe" instead. I'm actually serious, it's not bad looking, and the specs are decent enough (especially at that price point). Soon it'll be available @Target as well. I'll get a test model to play with, can't wait!!!

Old 07-03-2009, 10:17 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The banned fellow put up a review of the espresso. I dare not link to it though.

I might get one myself. Cheap enough. I like the fact that the screen is centered in the frame. I think you could mount it on a business card holder as a cool digital picture frame, with the music playing to your radio no one would realize it's coming from that frame.

Last edited by Olley; 07-03-2009 at 10:29 AM.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:14 PM

Those "Latte" players are rebrand of chinese players. The "Cafe" player is rebranded of "Ramos T8". The "Expresso" is called "Ramos RM990". You can buy these from www.allpmp.com or other chinese forum. And youtube it for review.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

The fact that Target picked them up to sell suggests they are better than the average chinese player. Even the ipod touch is made in China. Heck, Sony's players are probably made in China as well. I like the fact that with a U.S. company backing them I can take either back to any Target store for a refund if it's a piece of trash.

The point is still valid... A 32gb touchscreen player doesn't have to sell for $400 to make money. Amazon and Target aren't losing money selling the Cafe for $189. Sony would sell 10x more if they'd price them more reasonably. Millions of people still remember the walkman cassette and CD players, and with fond memories would gladly buy an X1061 over a 32gb Touch is the price was maybe $299.

Old 07-03-2009, 10:02 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukee View Post
Those "Latte" players are rebrand of chinese players. The "Cafe" player is rebranded of "Ramos T8". The "Expresso" is called "Ramos RM990". You can buy these from www.allpmp.com or other chinese forum. And youtube it for review.
I checked the Ramos T8, seemed like a different player to me. Also, Target is now warrantying electronics. If it flubs, get a replacement, or a whole new player.

As for the Sony X1000 series, I'd have 1 in my hand IF it was priced better. $400 for a player is not what I'm willing to pay, not for what it does & doesn't do. And the included IEM's are useless to me, I use full sized cans 99% of the time. The Touch, w/it's mediocre SQ is the better deal IMO. All those free games and apps (and the "useless" argument really doesn't hold any weight) really make it a portable entertainment device.

Only the Zune HD has a fighting chance of being in the same price/functionality range as the Touch. The X1000, even w/it's amoled screen & great SQ, is still just not worth it. This is IMO, as YMMV.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 07-03-2009 at 10:08 PM.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I checked the Ramos T8, seemed like a different player to me. Also, Target is now warrantying electronics. If it flubs, get a replacement, or a whole new player.

As for the Sony X1000 series, I'd have 1 in my hand IF it was priced better. $400 for a player is not what I'm willing to pay, not for what it does & doesn't do. And the included IEM's are useless to me, I use full sized cans 99% of the time. The Touch, w/it's mediocre SQ is the better deal IMO. All those free games and apps (and the "useless" argument really doesn't hold any weight) really make it a portable entertainment device.

Only the Zune HD has a fighting chance of being in the same price/functionality range as the Touch. The X1000, even w/it's amoled screen & great SQ, is still just not worth it. This is IMO, as YMMV.
What if they added gapless support for mp3 and also flac support. Would it be worth it then? It would be for me, definitely.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by h1a8 View Post
What if they added gapless support for mp3 and also flac support. Would it be worth it then? It would be for me, definitely.
Gapless would be nice, but if it had drag and drop video playback w/no conversion for Xvid/DivX (impossible, as the chip can't handle it), & did TV out as in the S9, I'd get it. FLAC, as much as some want it, is useless to me. I use mp3 V~0, which is lossless enough for me.

Last edited by The DarkSide; 07-03-2009 at 11:43 PM.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you think gapless playback is worth more, then save $100 and buy a Cowon S9 instead. It doesn't do MP3 gapless yet, but I'll bet it will within a month. It does gapless for lossless formats right now.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:53 PM

Correct Olley. When S9 does lame mp3 gapless then it >>>>>>any player strictly used for music (including Sony). Many have sacrificed great SQ to obtain worst SQ for gapless playback in mp3 (ipod anyone).