android
Old 12-14-2006, 07:46 AM

Default 4 GB Users

How many songs are you able to load and fill up your 4GB Clix?

I have just under 760. I thought I read that someone else had 1000 PLUS room to spare.

Any help on what might be taking up so much space?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-14-2006, 07:56 AM

This has been discussed very often in the forums already... please use the search next time.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=3436
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...79&postcount=2
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ead.php?t=5202

Old 12-14-2006, 08:32 AM

Ok, I guess I should have phrased that better....I know that bit rate affects quality and I know the higher the bit rate the less songs will fit.

How do I change my bit rate size in WMP? And what is the lowest bit rate that still sounds good.

Old 12-14-2006, 08:36 AM

Not many people in here use WMA - I guess 128, or even 96 kbps should be sufficient for WMA.

For MP3, I wouldn't go below 128 - and even that only with a good MP3 encoder, like EAC/LAME - not WMP.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:02 AM

Microsoft claims that WMA@64kbit sounds the same as mp3@128 (reminds me of Sony's marketing). Personally I use ogg usually @192 VBR and mp3 at the same bitrate (CBR). At that bitrate you can almost expect 1minute playtime = 1.1 megabyte approx.

Old 12-14-2006, 09:06 AM

Oh yes, I forgot that the Clix does play Ogg. If size is your main concern, better stick with Ogg than WMA in this case!

Old 12-15-2006, 10:02 PM

Default limiting bit rate through WMP11

1. connect Clix to your computer
2. open WMP 11
3. Tools > Options
4. in the DEVICES tab, highlight your clix
5. click the PROPERTIES button (next to "refresh")
6. open the QUALITY tab
7. Music - "Select Maximum Quality Level"
8. drag the bar all the way to the left

** The next time you add files to your Clix via the Sync Tab in WMP 11, it will AUTOMATICALLY CONVERT (if necessary) all files to your new settings. The original files on your computer WILL REMAIN AT THEIR ORIGINAL BITRATES.

For headphone use, I'd say go ahead and slide that bar all the way to the left, to 64kbps, and you won't notice much (if any) difference. However, if you're planning on playing your Clix through a car or home stereo system, then I'd suggest going with at least 128kbps. Otherwise it may sound a little "muddy". It's all a matter of personal preference, I guess.

Anyway, I've found that this is a great way to easily cram more music onto my Clix (which I update every day) yet leave my original files in high quality (often 320, 256, or sometimes 192kbps) on my computer.

Hope this helps!

Old 12-16-2006, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchrister View Post
1. connect Clix to your computer
2. open WMP 11
3. Tools > Options
4. in the DEVICES tab, highlight your clix
5. click the PROPERTIES button (next to "refresh")
6. open the QUALITY tab
7. Music - "Select Maximum Quality Level"
8. drag the bar all the way to the left

** The next time you add files to your Clix via the Sync Tab in WMP 11, it will AUTOMATICALLY CONVERT (if necessary) all files to your new settings. The original files on your computer WILL REMAIN AT THEIR ORIGINAL BITRATES.

For headphone use, I'd say go ahead and slide that bar all the way to the left, to 64kbps, and you won't notice much (if any) difference. However, if you're planning on playing your Clix through a car or home stereo system, then I'd suggest going with at least 128kbps. Otherwise it may sound a little "muddy". It's all a matter of personal preference, I guess.

Anyway, I've found that this is a great way to easily cram more music onto my Clix (which I update every day) yet leave my original files in high quality (often 320, 256, or sometimes 192kbps) on my computer.

Hope this helps!

FANTASTIC!!! Thank You!!!

Old 12-16-2006, 08:17 AM

You're welcome! Glad it helped!

Yeah, I just kind of stumbled upon that one day. In fact, after writing those directions I went back changed my setting from 128 to 64 and... I must say I DO notice a slight difference. Maybe it's just a mental thing (i.e. my brain knows they were loaded at 64 and is therefore looking for the "muddiness") but even after resetting my EQ the sound quality's not quite where it was at 128 -- and I'm using headphones.

I've actually got the 2GB model, so I may just live with the slightly lesser sound quality for a while in order to keep so many songs on there (around 900). I'm sure I'll get used to it after a while anyway, but if you've got the 4GB I'd recommend keeping everything at 128. Your call. Again, PERSONAL PREFERENCE