android
Old 06-23-2009, 11:03 AM

Help A Few "Get Started" With Rockbox Questions

I just ordered a 4 gig E260 refurb unit from newegg and I am certain it's a v.1, as they all seem to be judging from the reviews. $35 plus a $10 case they are throwing in for free I actually like and will use. So this is a super bargain

Anyway I will be able to get Rockbox installed plenty easy, I am sure. But I have a few questions:

1) When the player arrives do I need to do anything to it before starting the swap? Or should I? Set the time, load music, etc? I plan to charge it right off. But other then that, anything else? Or do I just switch to Rockbox "right out of the box" so to speak?

2) I've read the e200 series will read microSDHC cards with Rockbox but the music has to be loaded before its put on the player. Is this true? Because I've also read this isn't the case with newer builds. Or the latest? Also, does it integrate the music with internal memory on the menus, and how does it display album art if not? Or how does it display album art period if you have to preload the music on the card?

3) How is battery life with Rockbox? Is the battery on the e260 replaceable?

4) How does the e260 do with video? I have a Fuze and its easy to convert and load for. Looks pretty decent, too

Anyway thank you. These might seem like mundane questions but I like to do things right. And so asking people with experience is a good idea

Oh, and how do you like Rockbox? If you care to comment

EDIT: Oh oh...looks like one or two buyers got a v.2. I am keeping my fingers crossed for a v.1. I mean I'll like it otherwise and use it, but it will look and function much like my Fuze. I kinda want something....new
2gb Sansa Clip (Blue)
Sony MDR-EX81LP Earphones

Last edited by Short_Fuze; 06-23-2009 at 11:23 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-23-2009, 01:05 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

1) No.
2) No.
3) 20-24 hours with new battery and MP3.
4) MPEG2 video, mp3 audio.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:49 PM

Rockbox will take a good player and make it a better player. More options to use, adjust, and make the player what you want it to be. Hope you enjoy yours

Old 06-25-2009, 10:45 AM

No one answered your question about the battery being replaceable. Yes, it is, a huge plus for the e200s.

Old 06-25-2009, 03:54 PM

^ great! i just picked it up (UPS messed up so i had to go get it) and i like it. i have to get used to the scroll wheel / button set up, as i'm used to the Fuze. which is noticeably smoother. took a quick listen through my Sony earphones and am pleased with SQ. player is thick, but not as chunky as it appears in photos. its small, like a small cellphone. kind of heavy, but it feels well built. menus are kind of slow

NOW, for the Rockbox install. bbl to say how it went

great once more about the battery. so the player will go as long as it can
2gb Sansa Clip (Blue)

Old 06-25-2009, 05:44 PM

OK

i got Rockbox running and I'M IN LOVE

this is great. literally. its like a whole different player. it was similar to my Fuze b4, now its just wild

so to add some themes all i need to do is drag and drop to the themes folder? i'm using Redline atm. its pretty sweet. what are some other good ones you guys might suggest?

i am so happy with my purchase!
2gb Sansa Clip (Blue)

Old 06-25-2009, 05:59 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Usually you just unzip them onto the root of your player, and the theme folder structure is set such that all the files end up in the right place.

And themes.rockbox.org has many of the up to date themes. Theres older ones around but they may or may not work with recent builds.

Old 06-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Administrator

Yup... Rockbox is great but probably want to at least skim the parts of the manual concerning themes. You probably don't need to read it cover to cover but you can save yourself some head scratching by checking the sections on a various features.

Most Rockbox features are installed by unzipping them to the root of your player. That insures the proper components land in the correct folders.

Enjoy your new and unleashed player. The custom EQ is awesome.

Last edited by skip252; 06-25-2009 at 06:04 PM. Reason: Capitalization

Old 06-25-2009, 07:59 PM

congratz on your rockbox e200

Music Organizer: MediaMonkey
My Last.fm

Old 06-28-2009, 06:33 AM

thanks for the replies, dudes

i got this thing up and running and am finding my way through it fine. i love the EQ. its got such fine settings. this is my best sounding mp3 player now. or at least the most full sounding. fantastic bass, treble, midrange. all my music sounds GREAT

i also like the way you can have the scroll light shut of quickly. idk if you could do that with the original firmware, but its far too bright in a darker space. so 3 seconds is long enough

games, cool clock, file browsing, complete control of you music library. detailed battery use, run time monitor, calculator, and i know there must be more. a BUNCH of sound settings

needless to say i will always "Rockbox" from now on

now i am going to look into that cover flow thing and themes with BIGGER fonts. many of these fonts are just too tiny / small. although atm i am using a "bold" one with the Redline theme and its fine. so i might stay with it. still, bigger is sometimes better so i gotta check it out
2gb Sansa Clip (Blue)