android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon D2/D2+

Old 06-21-2009, 11:39 PM

Default D2+ voice recording mode - recording loud things and distortion

I play in a band, and I've been trying the D2+ voice recording. I can tell the recording would sound terrific but for distortion which I'm positive is caused by having to start and stop the recording right from in the middle of the band and amplifiers, etc. In some instances such as practice, it's not possible to place the D2+ 50 feet away due to the limitation of our practice space.

Has anyone experimented with ways to try and reduce the input of loud volume sources to the built-in mic such as placing something over it, or any other way to reduce distortion to to volume without giving a severely muffled recording? I have the same problem trying to record videos of the band with my canon G2 camera which I do with a bass guitar in my left hand and the camera in my right, right from stage.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-22-2009, 12:26 PM

are you using a line in cable or letting the d2's mic take it all? because of the portable nature of the d2's mic I could easily see distortion, especially at higher volume levels, being a problem.

I must ask though, is there any specific reason you're using an mp3 player to record your band? this might be just me, but wouldn't you get better quality, multiple channel support, and better mixing and volume normalizing performance out of a good sound card (external, probably) and a computer? I'm using stock imput on my PC's sound card with my electric guitar and it comes out as definitely better quality than attempting to record it with a mic on a mp3 player or even a mic running from my computer

Old 06-22-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Spirit View Post
are you using a line in cable or letting the d2's mic take it all? because of the portable nature of the d2's mic I could easily see distortion, especially at higher volume levels, being a problem.

I must ask though, is there any specific reason you're using an mp3 player to record your band? this might be just me, but wouldn't you get better quality, multiple channel support, and better mixing and volume normalizing performance out of a good sound card (external, probably) and a computer? I'm using stock imput on my PC's sound card with my electric guitar and it comes out as definitely better quality than attempting to record it with a mic on a mp3 player or even a mic running from my computer
It's mostly for the heck of it. Not putting together a CD or anything. Also possible to put the better sounding clips on the website. The laptop is a good idea. When I first tried recording through the D2's mic, I was amazed at the recorded quality. In the band application, it's just too loud unless I'm 60 feet away and that is not convenient.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:43 PM

I don't think there'd be any practical way to lower the volume enough next to the D2, there's ways to make it less loud when mixing, but not really for imput.

Old 06-22-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I don't think there'd be any practical way to lower the volume enough next to the D2, there's ways to make it less loud when mixing, but not really for imput.
Don't know for instance, if covering the D2 with a microphone foam windshield would cut the volume enogh to prevent distortion. Mind you, we're not a rock band playing realy loud, just medium low to moderate amplifier levels mostly.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 PM

well you could always tell the drummer to stop bangin so loud so that you could turn the amps down and have a quieter recording setup

Old 06-23-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
well you could always tell the drummer to stop bangin so loud so that you could turn the amps down and have a quieter recording setup
LOL that'll never happen!

Old 06-23-2009, 07:34 PM

I know, one of m,y friends plays the drums, I play the electric guitar, we never really play together, but if we did I would find it extremely hard not to turn my little amp to the max just to be heard