android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Cowon iAudio > Cowon D2/D2+

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-21-2009, 11:39 PM
rlight's Avatar
rlight rlight is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 28
Default D2+ voice recording mode - recording loud things and distortion

I play in a band, and I've been trying the D2+ voice recording. I can tell the recording would sound terrific but for distortion which I'm positive is caused by having to start and stop the recording right from in the middle of the band and amplifiers, etc. In some instances such as practice, it's not possible to place the D2+ 50 feet away due to the limitation of our practice space.

Has anyone experimented with ways to try and reduce the input of loud volume sources to the built-in mic such as placing something over it, or any other way to reduce distortion to to volume without giving a severely muffled recording? I have the same problem trying to record videos of the band with my canon G2 camera which I do with a bass guitar in my left hand and the camera in my right, right from stage.
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #2  
Old 06-22-2009, 12:26 PM
Flamin_Spirit's Avatar
Flamin_Spirit Flamin_Spirit is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 482
Default

are you using a line in cable or letting the d2's mic take it all? because of the portable nature of the d2's mic I could easily see distortion, especially at higher volume levels, being a problem.

I must ask though, is there any specific reason you're using an mp3 player to record your band? this might be just me, but wouldn't you get better quality, multiple channel support, and better mixing and volume normalizing performance out of a good sound card (external, probably) and a computer? I'm using stock imput on my PC's sound card with my electric guitar and it comes out as definitely better quality than attempting to record it with a mic on a mp3 player or even a mic running from my computer
__________________
Cowon iAudio D2 16gb (D2+ FW 2.11) + FiiO E5 + Head-Direct RE2s.
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old 06-22-2009, 02:10 PM
rlight's Avatar
rlight rlight is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Spirit View Post
are you using a line in cable or letting the d2's mic take it all? because of the portable nature of the d2's mic I could easily see distortion, especially at higher volume levels, being a problem.

I must ask though, is there any specific reason you're using an mp3 player to record your band? this might be just me, but wouldn't you get better quality, multiple channel support, and better mixing and volume normalizing performance out of a good sound card (external, probably) and a computer? I'm using stock imput on my PC's sound card with my electric guitar and it comes out as definitely better quality than attempting to record it with a mic on a mp3 player or even a mic running from my computer
It's mostly for the heck of it. Not putting together a CD or anything. Also possible to put the better sounding clips on the website. The laptop is a good idea. When I first tried recording through the D2's mic, I was amazed at the recorded quality. In the band application, it's just too loud unless I'm 60 feet away and that is not convenient.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old 06-22-2009, 02:43 PM
Flamin_Spirit's Avatar
Flamin_Spirit Flamin_Spirit is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 482
Default

I don't think there'd be any practical way to lower the volume enough next to the D2, there's ways to make it less loud when mixing, but not really for imput.
__________________
Cowon iAudio D2 16gb (D2+ FW 2.11) + FiiO E5 + Head-Direct RE2s.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old 06-22-2009, 05:05 PM
rlight's Avatar
rlight rlight is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Spirit View Post
I don't think there'd be any practical way to lower the volume enough next to the D2, there's ways to make it less loud when mixing, but not really for imput.
Don't know for instance, if covering the D2 with a microphone foam windshield would cut the volume enogh to prevent distortion. Mind you, we're not a rock band playing realy loud, just medium low to moderate amplifier levels mostly.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old 06-22-2009, 10:32 PM
Flamin_Spirit's Avatar
Flamin_Spirit Flamin_Spirit is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 482
Default

well you could always tell the drummer to stop bangin so loud so that you could turn the amps down and have a quieter recording setup
__________________
Cowon iAudio D2 16gb (D2+ FW 2.11) + FiiO E5 + Head-Direct RE2s.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old 06-23-2009, 06:19 PM
rlight's Avatar
rlight rlight is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Madison, WI
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Spirit View Post
well you could always tell the drummer to stop bangin so loud so that you could turn the amps down and have a quieter recording setup
LOL that'll never happen!
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old 06-23-2009, 07:34 PM
Flamin_Spirit's Avatar
Flamin_Spirit Flamin_Spirit is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 482
Default

I know, one of m,y friends plays the drums, I play the electric guitar, we never really play together, but if we did I would find it extremely hard not to turn my little amp to the max just to be heard
__________________
Cowon iAudio D2 16gb (D2+ FW 2.11) + FiiO E5 + Head-Direct RE2s.
Reply With Quote

Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:46 PM.