android
Old 06-22-2009, 11:17 AM

Default Does bass roll-off kick in at a specific volume level?

Last edited by JonathanC; 03-02-2010 at 07:06 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-22-2009, 11:28 AM
Ultra Senior Member

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...0&postcount=10

There is no "bass roll-off problem" with the D2 - well, there is, but it's the same on many, if not most, other players out there. I wish I'd know how that silly rumor about the D2 specifically started. The D2 is not better or worse than many other players regarding that issue.

The volume level doesn't matter at all - it's the phone impedance that matters.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:33 AM

Ah, but I think you've said yourself that the S9 and the O2 have a slightly "richer" sound due to their lack of this problem. I would find the quote, but I expect you can find it and clarify it yourself more quickly.

EDIT: http://iaudiophile.net/forums/showpo...97&postcount=6

"The D2 has a bit more SPL, indeed... but the S9 has less bass roll-off."

Took me a minute because it was actually in another forum. And that's not even the post I was thinking of. You've made the remark in others.

Are we arguing about the word "problem"? Or are you taking the standard attitude of this site that "most people," a group that surely includes me but of course not yourself, could never tell the difference?

Last edited by JonathanC; 06-22-2009 at 11:44 AM.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:59 AM
Ultra Senior Member

That post you linked is a bit taken out of context, it was referring to the post before mine, mentioning "natural and balanced", but anyways... You can read that thread, it's the best summary in my opinion: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=39435

This only applies to volume matched AB tests anyways... technically the D2 is a bit worse than the S9 or O2, but you really won't hear it all that much. They're all about the same level of "not great".

In practical use there's not much difference between the D2 and other players. I don't mean they're all fine - I mean they're all flawed one way or another and none of them is perfect. I just find it weird that the D2 gets bashed the most, even if most other players behave more or less the same.

For the bass roll-off with low impedance phones there's always BBE/Mach3Bass with Cowons, which fortunately doesn't make the overall sound muddy, like most other bass enhancers.