android
Old 12-23-2008, 05:11 AM

Default D2 flac compression level and battery life

I've been trying to find this out but so far I haven't found any answers to this.

Does somebody know how much different flac compression levels affect the D2's battery life?
I've just converted some music to flac comp.level 4 and the same to level 8.
The difference between in filesize would make me able to squeeze about 1.5 hours more music on my D2 (with 32Gb sd card)

Would the battery life between level 4 and 8 be much different?

I've chosen for flac since after I've converted my cd's once I wouldn't have to do this all over again in the future with other players, and it might give me a feeling of having best SQ (whether this is phsycological or not is up for debate....not sure myself)
APE would also be an option because of the higher compression rate, but I believe this would have a much bigger impact on the battery life then using flac.

The difference in filesize doesn't look like it's too much, but I've got quite some cd's to convert to flac and everything helps.

Thank you in advance for your help

Ben

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-23-2008, 11:16 AM

I don't know how much shorter battery life you get with flac since I never compared it with mp3, but I can tell you that it took 2 days just to lose one bar in the battery icon when using nothing but flac. Thats amazing compared to my Zune 80gb, you could drain the entire battery in 2 days with lossless on that. So I was really impressed with the D2.

The difference between lossless and lossy is both psychological and physiological, but most importantly I think with the larger capacity hard drives and constant advances in audio technology it is more future proof than lossy encodings.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:18 AM

FLAC is an asymmetrical codec. It needs much more power to encode than to decode. So the difference for decoding level 4 and 8 should be negligible.

Quote:
Question: Does the compression level affect decompression speed?

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: In truth, the compression level does affect the decompression speed, but the difference between the various compress levels can barely be measured and is too small to be noticed, even on low-end machines.
http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=FLAC

Old 12-23-2008, 03:39 PM

So in other words, I wouldn't notice much difference in battery life between compression levels. Then I'll start encoding on max compression level.
Thanks

Old 12-23-2008, 03:49 PM

Sine Hydrogenaudio is usually careful with their observations and doesn't give unverified info, I'd say you won't notice any battery lifetime differences at all.

Old 06-21-2009, 06:09 PM

Nice read!

I have one question; does compression level has something to do with bitrates? In other words,will flac files of 900 kbps have stronger effect on d2 battery than flac of 500 kbps?

Thanks!