android
Old 06-13-2009, 12:42 PM

Default Will a FiiO E5 make Super.fi 5 (v2) hiss?

I currently use a Samsung Q1 player and UE Super.fi 5's (yeah, those loud, 13 ohm ones). The Q1 works fine enough, it doesn't produce a hiss at any volume, but that's probably also because the power output is way too low for the earphones.

So, my question is this, would a cheapo FiiO E5 make the earphones produce a noticable hiss? I don't listen to music very loud to begin with, so I won't be cranking up all the way or anywhere close to that, I just want the amp to boost the earphones a bit so I can hear more of that lovely bass that my ancient iRiver S10 can magically supply but the Samsung Q1 can't.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggonit View Post
I currently use a Samsung Q1 player and UE Super.fi 5's (yeah, those loud, 13 ohm ones). The Q1 works fine enough, it doesn't produce a hiss at any volume, but that's probably also because the power output is way too low for the earphones.

So, my question is this, would a cheapo FiiO E5 make the earphones produce a noticable hiss? I don't listen to music very loud to begin with, so I won't be cranking up all the way or anywhere close to that, I just want the amp to boost the earphones a bit so I can hear more of that lovely bass that my ancient iRiver S10 can magically supply but the Samsung Q1 can't.
The key to minimizing any possible hiss with the E5 is having the source volume as high as possible without distortion, and the E5's volume being the volume controller. Some people try maxing the E5's volume and controlling volume level with their player, and that will maximize hiss.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:34 PM

I see. Also, the fact that the FiiO website rates the amp for head/earphones with 16 ohms impedances and up, does that matter? What exactly does/could happen to a 13 ohm pair? The circuitry inside won't heat up too much and burn out or something, will it?

Quote:
Specifications
Output Power: 150 mW (16 ohms Loaded)
12 mW (300 ohms Loaded)
Signal to Noise Ratio: >= 95 dB (A Weight)
Distortion: < 0.009% (10 mW)
Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 100 kHz
Suitable Headphone Impedance: 16 ohms - 300 ohms

Old 06-13-2009, 02:15 PM

I've just read so many reviews that have claimed that the E5 bass boost doesn't actually add much, but rather distorts it.

And then there's also the problem that all the major resellers of E5 seem to be some sort of shady Triads, and you can wait weeks before seeing it, so...

I'm not that interested anymore, reading all that certainly made me more hesitant.

Perhaps I should just wait and invest in a Cowon S9... or harass Sony until they lower the price of the X1000 series players.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:47 PM

Default E5 better than you think...

I got mine in 3 days, $24 shipped from Head-Direct...no hassles. Its a $22 amp....sooooo, I wasn't expecting much. Have to say the E5 is a nice well thought out package. At higher gain settings the unit does add a noticeable hiss, but doing as Marvin said above to dial it in has yielded great results. The sound is appreciably more crisp, full and slightly warmer in all ranges. The bass boost augments the low frequencies without muddying the sound. Midbass is defined and crisp, highs are clean and clear without adding shrillness. The E5 preserves source SQ without adding distortion, giving you more defined sound at lower volumes and additional power to drive higher-end cans. Worth every penny and more....just my opinion...

Old 06-14-2009, 08:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnzeee View Post
I got mine in 3 days, $24 shipped from Head-Direct...no hassles. Its a $22 amp....sooooo, I wasn't expecting much. Have to say the E5 is a nice well thought out package. At higher gain settings the unit does add a noticeable hiss, but doing as Marvin said above to dial it in has yielded great results. The sound is appreciably more crisp, full and slightly warmer in all ranges. The bass boost augments the low frequencies without muddying the sound. Midbass is defined and crisp, highs are clean and clear without adding shrillness. The E5 preserves source SQ without adding distortion, giving you more defined sound at lower volumes and additional power to drive higher-end cans. Worth every penny and more....just my opinion...
Glad to hear it worked well for you!

Old 06-15-2009, 12:33 PM

Thanks! Does having a true line out vs using the headphone jack help this issue? My source only has a headphone jack, but I know other mp3 players do have line out jacks...just wondering if anyone has tried the E5 with a line out?

Old 06-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnzeee View Post
Thanks! Does having a true line out vs using the headphone jack help this issue? My source only has a headphone jack, but I know other mp3 players do have line out jacks...just wondering if anyone has tried the E5 with a line out?
I know that Cptnodegard has used an E5 with a line-out, not sure if anyone else here has. From what I understand, the line-out would be better in most scenarios, but I don't have one for my players.

Old 06-15-2009, 12:43 PM

Responding to the topic title, "Will a FiiO E5 make Super.fi 5 (v2) hiss?" - the SF5v2 hiss on their own with almost anything because of their idiotic low impedance and high sensitivity. The only input they don't hiss with is my Corda Headsix amp, they hiss with everything else, every other amp and every MP3 player I tried them with.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:37 PM

I'll take that as a yes to, "Would they hiss with my Shure SE110's." But, how can you minimize or eliminate the hiss? Maybe an impedance adapter?

Old 06-19-2009, 01:55 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout565 View Post
I'll take that as a yes to, "Would they hiss with my Shure SE110's." But, how can you minimize or eliminate the hiss? Maybe an impedance adapter?
From post #2 in this thread...
Originally posted by Marvin the Martian
Quote:
The key to minimizing any possible hiss with the E5 is having the source volume as high as possible without distortion, and the E5's volume being the volume controller. Some people try maxing the E5's volume and controlling volume level with their player, and that will maximize hiss.
I would imagine that an impedance adapter would also help, though.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Does it just hiss with IEM's or does it hiss with over-the-ear headphones as well.

Old 06-19-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
I would imagine that an impedance adapter would also help, though.
I would say that's a much better choice for ridiculously specced phones like the SF5v2 - you don't need an amp, a resistor would work just fine. It would be smaller, and you wouldn't have to remember charging it either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsout565 View Post
Does it just hiss with IEM's or does it hiss with over-the-ear headphones as well.
This is a matter of impedance and sensitivity, and the SF5v2 just hiss with about anything - and the FiiO also hisses with those kinds of phones, just like most MP3 players. The FiiO will hiss less (or not at all) with higher impedance and lower sensitivity phones, a group which most bigger phones belong to...

Old 06-20-2009, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the info. I'm looking to purchase a low cost amp to pair with my Shure SRH840 that should be arriving in July. The fiio seemed like a good option since it got good marks from many people.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:25 AM

To be quite honest, I've NEVER heard a hiss with my SF5v2's hooked up to a lowly Samsung Q1, never mind the superior (in terms of audio quality) iRiver S10. Then again, I never have the volume very high on either, as I prefer to keep my earing intact (unlike some, it seems) and the SF5v2's are already loud enough at pathetically low volume settings. I imagine turning the volume all the way up would either cause the SF5v2's to burn out or your eardrums to explode.

Old 06-27-2009, 11:28 AM

The player's/amp's volume setting usually doesn't matter - the SF5v2 hiss even when most players/amps are muted.

How I wish I'd be one of those people that don't hear any hiss with ultra-low-impedance/ultra-high-sensitivity phones, badly designed headphone amp circuits, etc...

Anyways, the SF5v2 hiss less with the FiiO E5 than with the iBasso T4 or Minibox-E+. The only amp they are really "black" with is the Headsix, however - the best amp for low-impedance IEMs I own.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:45 PM

I don't hear a hiss, even on mute. I will check with other DAP's. I do hear the hiss from a standard PC line-out though, which is very annoying to say the least. Obviously that isn't exactly a high-quality source.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:50 PM

Okay, so I just got my FiiO E5, and without even plugging it into an audio source, I just took a listen to the dead/muted output, and damn it to hell, I'm hearing a slight hiss, even at the lowest volume! It's really, really time to get Audeo PFE's.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:25 PM

Hm, at least the bass boost is appreciable, and whilst playing music, the hiss is impossible to distinguish with any reliability. Since I expect it to be there, underneath all the other sounds, I think that I can sometimes make it out, but I still can't say for certain.

In any case, I love the base, because I can finally feel it in the back of my throat now.

It's still not as spine-rattling as some of the Sony earphones can be, but perhaps that's a good thing. I bet that if I plugged in a pair of those Sony's with the amp base boost on, it would cause internal bleeding of something.

ETA: The sound is also slightly warmer now, much to my liking. I should invest in some Audeo PFE's and a Cowon S9 or something. I'll await the final verdict in the S9/Zune HD/X1000 contest.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:24 PM

On a different note, it's worth nothing that the ancient and tiny iRiver S10 once again amazes with it's silly capabilites! Plugging it into the FiiO E5 makes the sound less spectacular than without it! Then again, the S10 has exceptional sound quality, especially considering its size. Sure, it's no Sony, but that's a whole other level.