android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2009, 03:07 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalkGood View Post
Not really sure what you don’t agree with, the players that sacrifice sound statement, the proper encoding of tunes or the headphones you use statement o_O
I think I misread your encoding statement

Mostly I disagree with saying an amp should transform weaker players into more powerful portables. An amp is something you buy to fix a specific problem (typically that the impedance of a pair of headphones is too low or too high for a particular DAC), not something thats useful (or even desirable) in general.

Quote:
But the statements I made above make perfect sense to me and I’m not talking about pairing with a $20.00 cheap amp.
Yeah I realize that, but most people on these forums seem to be. Check out that HD-201 thread on the forums today. That guys getting awful advice from everyone. The thread should have begun and ended with "you have a 25 dollar pair of headphones that are pretty easy to drive, you don't have to care about things like amps".

Quote:
Either way, you’re entitled to your own opinion, but if you get a chance to use a good amp you might think differently.
I'd never let the way something sounded change what I recommend on these forums because I don't believe my opinions are generally useful or interesting enough to other people to be worth sharing. I mostly just work with facts and measurements like RMAA tests, which are the best way to look at amps and impedance anyway. And of course those are extra nice since inexperience or odd taste on my part doesn't change the result

Quote:
Finally, I see you quoted me fine, but you did miss the most important point I made:

BTW, I didn't stick this thread, only suggested it ...
Of course, you're absolutely right. I just don't like the idea of implying that an amp is a good fix for bad sound. Its usually not the best solution.

Tags
benifit of portable amp, portable amp, what can amps accomplish, what do portable amps do, why amp, why use portabel amp, why use portable amp