android
Old 06-03-2009, 09:29 PM

Default Some Questions

Hey guys,

I am looking at buying a Cowon D2/D2+ and I just have some questions from people who use it.

How is it for running? I do a lot of running and the bouncing-shock eventually got to the previous player I had. Also will it be okay with my sweat? I will probably get an armband with it but my sweaty fingers might be all over it as I switch songs or something so I guess I am asking about how water tolerant it is. If its like my iPod it will drop dead on a humid day

Is navigating to songs really that bad? The one big negative I have heard from this player is that the playlist features suck (not a big deal for me, don't really do playlists) and that browsing to a specific song could be difficult (a slightly bigger deal).

If songs aren't in a Artist/Album/File directory structure, will it not be sure what to do? I have read that it determines the artist/album information from the directory structure. I have tried really hard to keep everything in that structure as I collected music, but some files aren't and I would have a hard time tracking them down.

I've read a lot of stuff around the 'net and watched a few reviews on YouTube, so is there anything regarding general use that should be brought up that you have run into? Just the little irritations that you don't really discover until you are 3 weeks into use of it, if you know what I mean.

My use will be almost exlusively for music, although I would load up movies when I fly. I might also get an expansion SD card for another 16GB, or maybe the 32GB if I find a great price on it, but that probably won't be until later.

Thanks!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-03-2009, 10:35 PM

the D2 is probably not that great for running- not because of the sweat or the bounce, but because of the lack of tactile controls, if you are like me, when doing something besides listening just to music while not doing anything else you want to use the player "blind" (without looking) it would be terrible, because the UI isn't made for that kind of blind use.

when you go into your library to select a song you have 5 seconds before the library times out and goes back to the now playing screen, the only way to extend that is to select something, go back and continue scrolling. it's not a problem for me, but it might be for people with larger collections.

the D2 doesn't really care about directories unless searching by folders on the device itself, but it cares a lot about ID3 tags, so if your collection isn't tagged properly and not in the right directory structure so it's easy to find songs, then you're not in a good place.

otherwise I haven't really had any trouble with it, firmware, theme, flash skin, and everything all work smoothly for me (I even used a rockbox multiboot method to install the D2+ firmware on the older D2, v3.10 and still working perfectly for me)

if you want a good player for just running or something I hear the sansa clip is really good, my friend has one and he works out with it in a generic armband and it's been going... and going... and going... he swears the thing is nearly indestructable

Old 06-04-2009, 02:37 PM

Well as far as controls go, I understand that you can set the volume buttons to be forward and reverse when the hold switch is on, and I don't really mess with the player at all while running except maybe to skip that bad egg that got onto my player

Most of my tags are in order, I think, so that won't be much of a problem. I noticed that a few media players seem to have problems reading some of the tags, like Winamp, WMP, and aTunes (not iTunes). Rhythmbox, Songbird, and iTunes have no problems with my tags. I use Musicbrainz Picard for tagging, love that program.

As for the 5 second time out, it will time out even while you are scrolling and navigating through directories or artist/album tags? Thats kind of a bum deal, there is no way to change that? Seems like it would be a quick fix on the firmware side.

I was looking at the Sansa Clip with some serious interest as well, but I think I really liked the features of the D2 a lot better, and I also liked the 16GB size instead of a max of 4 GB (or was it 8?). The Sansa Clip is fairly cheap if I remember right, so I could always grab a 2GB of those if I decide that that the D2 isn't cut out for running.

Old 06-04-2009, 03:48 PM

Sansa is good and cheap solution for you, but Cowon has better sound quality. You can also take a look at Cowon iAudio 7.

I don't know about the Cowon D2/D2+ for running. It's a big risk because of screen which is very sensitive. It doesn't look like that on video clips and reviews, but I know now when I got my D2+. You can easily get something like this on your display. In my case it was because of the punch, but I saw that many people just carryed it in the pocket and got the same thing. Or buy Cowon D2 and some case to carry it.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:03 PM
Banned

For running you should get a Sansa Clip and have a D2/D2+ as your main player. The D2 is quite robust, but the screen isn't particularly.

Old 06-04-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choobie View Post
Is navigating to songs really that bad? The one big negative I have heard from this player is that the playlist features suck (not a big deal for me, don't really do playlists) and that browsing to a specific song could be difficult (a slightly bigger deal).

I've read a lot of stuff around the 'net and watched a few reviews on YouTube, so is there anything regarding general use that should be brought up that you have run into? Just the little irritations that you don't really discover until you are 3 weeks into use of it, if you know what I mean.
For me, the interface is by far its biggest problem. I thought as you did that it wouldn't be an issue, but it does annoy me now. Using it while running or without looking would be difficult (sometimes I have to stop walking to peer at the screen, especially if it's a bright day), but it's OK if you just leave it to its own devices. Even sticking it on shuffle requires a bit of effort. Otherwise the only niggle I didn't realise in advance is that it is case-sensitive to artist names and album names, which required a bit of retagging - not really a big problem.

It times out after 5 seconds of inaction, it's not like you have to race to where you need to go in 5 seconds It can be irritating especially because there's no good queue function so you have to select the next song within a few seconds of the end of the last one unless you fiddle with the screen or like silences between tracks.

On the other hand, sound quality and video quality are exceptional, it's hugely customisable (even in terms of sound, I haven't changed anything else) and its battery would outlive most small animals without needing to be charged. Would I buy it again? Probably, but I pine for simplicity in the interface.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:18 PM

Partybreaker: I can't see whatever you uploaded and I don't feel like signing up on that website. Did you crack your screen? A case of some kind is a good idea.

With the D2, can you easily set it to play everything from a particular album, or everything by a particular artist? If I select a song from a directory (or by tag), will it play that song first, followed by everything in the directory, or will it play that one song then wait for me to select the next song? If it does the former, then I would be very happy with this player. If it only plays one then asks for the next, that might be a problem without stronger playlists.

I heard that Cowon might be moving to open source the firmware for the D2, is that correct or did I get it mixed up with another brand/model?

Old 06-05-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Partybreaker: I can't see whatever you uploaded and I don't feel like signing up on that website. Did you crack your screen? A case of some kind is a good idea.
Sorry, I just copied image link from iAudiophile. Here's how it looks like (it's not my D2):

You get that "bubble" on the screen, and it's pretty annoying because wherever you click it makes smudge dot on the place where your bubble is.
Bubble can be removed by putting player on warm place (under the lamp or something), but no one can guarantee you that it won't come back again.

Also, my D2 makes buzz constantly while LCD is on, after that punch...

Of course, this doesn't mean you'll get same symptoms, but it's possible.

Quote:
With the D2, can you easily set it to play everything from a particular album, or everything by a particular artist? If I select a song from a directory (or by tag), will it play that song first, followed by everything in the directory, or will it play that one song then wait for me to select the next song? If it does the former, then I would be very happy with this player. If it only plays one then asks for the next, that might be a problem without stronger playlists.
Didn't get what you are interested in, but I'll try to answer.

You choose, for example, fifth song of the album which contains 15 songs. It will play that song, and continue playing next songs (6th, 7th etc.) from that album. This is case when you choose to play songs by Albums, Artists and Folders. If you choose to play from Tracks, player continue to all songs you have on player sorting it by file name.

There is an option to set player to play all songs from one album/folder by using combination Folder Boundary (which makes it play songs only from that particular album) and Shuffle (which puts your chosen 5th song on the first place).

Hope this helps, I'm new with Cowon, so if I made a mistake somewhere, please correct me.

Old 06-05-2009, 04:04 PM

you can select (if by sorting by ID3 tags) an "all" option under any given artist, genre, year, etc as well to play all songs in that category. and if you select one song in a list, then it will automatically play all songs in that list, in order if shuffle isn't on, or in random order if it is on. there is also a repeat setting that will repeat the list if shuffle isn't on.

during shuffle mode the player makes a random list of all the songs, when it gets to the end of that list it makes a whole new random list of the same songs, meaning that it won't be like a playlist that was shuffled once, but it also means you will still hear every song in the list you shuffle.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:25 PM

That is an interesting bubble... looks like the LCD in that spot got fried. My calculator does that if I heat up a spot on the screen (but goes away when it cools down again).

Anyways, both of you answered my question spot on. For some reason I got the idea that you had to select each song individually and that the player wouldn't queue up the remainder/entire directory. Well looks like all the ducks are in line and I got my paycheck today, so it looks like I will be getting this player along with the Sansa Clip.

Thank you for taking the time to answer all my questions!

Old 06-06-2009, 12:39 AM

I am a cyclist and I thought using my D2+ on the bike wouldn't be that hard. But, it is, so I bought a Sansa Clip and clipped it on my leg for easy navigation while riding. I'd save a few pennies and get both.

Old 06-06-2009, 11:08 PM

Argh! my brand new out of box cowon d2 has that exact same bubble/smudge. i just received it yesterday. so it's not gonna go away huh? guess i'll have to sent it back to amazon. maybe i should just get an ipod touch!

Old 06-07-2009, 12:49 AM

don't if you want a d2 get another d2 every company lets out a lemon, you were the unlucky one, I'm sure amazon will give you the same thing in return for that one. just remember not everything will be perfect. Cowon isn't a huge company so they'll probably let out a few more lemons, but they are usually really good with returns/exchanges for a new one if it IS bad. many people on this forum will testify to cowon's customer service! just exchange for a new D2

after reading what I just wrote it sounds like every other D2 is a bad one, but I didn't mean it that way, I meant they'll probably let out a few more than a supergiant like apple with thier iPods, though I know several people who've gotten lemon iPods of various types a friend of mine got a really wierd iPod touch that didn't sync any music in apple formats, another friend got an ipod nano with a broken touch wheel straight out of the box.

besides if you want good sound quality stick with cowon, get another D2. if you want something a little more like the touch I'd reccommend the S9, but that's based on looks and what I've seen of the interface, not on any testing, though I'd like to get one to try out, perhaps when/if this D2 dies I'll look into a S9

Last edited by Flamin_Spirit; 06-07-2009 at 12:55 AM.

Old 06-07-2009, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennetuco View Post
Argh! my brand new out of box cowon d2 has that exact same bubble/smudge. i just received it yesterday. so it's not gonna go away huh? guess i'll have to sent it back to amazon. maybe i should just get an ipod touch!
Don't take an iPod Touch! You'll be desperate because of the sound quality. Believe me, I have that combination too, and that's the main reason why I bought D2+. iPod is good for WiFi, movies and it has really nice GUI. But main function (sound) is weak.

Try this on your Cowon, I'm sure it will help. If you can't open the link, and don't wanna register on iAudiophile, try putting Cowon on warm place. I removed bubble with hair dryer, but be careful with it (keep a long distance and make few minutes breaks). You don't need to do it with hair dryer, I was successful with lamp too.

And write down what you did.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:40 PM

I recently bought a 16Gb D2+. It's the first MP3 player I've ever owned, and I love it! I've already fitted a 32Gb SDHC card so I have plenty of storage space. I use my D2+ only for music - I'm not really interested in watching video on anything so small, nor accessing e-mail via wi-fi. (If I wanted both those features I'd have probably gone for an iPod Touch.)

I must say that for simply listening to music, I think the D2/D2+ is really excellent, with great sound quality.

However, for running I would recommend you get a Sansa Clip. Although I haven't listened to the Clip I've been told that the sound quality is very good, and in fact my cousin recently bought one and uses it when out running several times a week (and even during a recent 10km charity run!). It's much smaller and lighter than the D2. Also it's way cheaper than the D2.

Here's a suggestion - get a Sansa Clip first and use it for running. Then, if you decide you need something with more capacity and possibly video too, get the D2 later. Just an idea!

Old 06-08-2009, 07:42 AM

Long time reader, first time poster, but I'm currently listening to my D2 as I post this, and owned a Clip for a couple of months before giving it to my nephew, so I thought I'd jump in here with my two cents.

First of all, if you're going to mainly be using the player for running, I really wouldn't recommend the D2. If you have to navigate to a different artist or album, you'd have to stop, unless you enjoy running into things. lol It's my personal belief, that unless you're a jedi, you can not navigate through the UI without focusing a considerable amount of attention to it. Though, I would fully trust in my D2 to hold up to the conditions of running you mentioned. I'm really hard on all my stuff, so I quickly discover what's built with quality and what isn't. I left my D2 in a car in near 90 degree exterior temperatures, slid it around here, tossed it around there, and let my friend's five year old daughter play with it for hours, and it's still fine. It's built solid, trust me. A quick note about sound quality though, okay maybe not quick, but a note all the same. I have a completely unhealthy obsession with gadgets, and because of that, I've owned a good ten or so PMP's/DAP's over the course of this last year. What's unique about the D2, in relation to sound signature, is I had to throw a good twenty plus pairs of headphones at it, before I found a sound I liked. Tweaking the EQ and BBE settings just didn't cut it for me. I just bought some Sony Extended Bass in-ear style phones, and this thing sounds freakin' unbelievable to me...now. With my Sennheiser CX-300's, and the other phones I threw at it, even some other Sony's, no matter how much tweaking I did, it always sounded so cold and sterile, listening to it almost literally sent chills down my spine. With the new Sony's though, I've really fallen in love with it for the first time.

As for the Clip, when I first saw it, I thought to myself "There's no way this thing is going to sound good, it looks like I could've bought it in a dark alley in China." I really did half expect to turn it on and see a Pokemon like creature dance across the screen while it chirped at me like an 80's hand-held video game. On top of that, you shake it around and you can hear it rattle, or mine did. I expected to end up discarding it quickly or to end up breaking it within a week, but I read on here that the sound quality was amazing, and it was cheap and a gadget, so I figured why not. Maybe because it looks and feels so cheap, it psyches you out mentally to expect it to just suck, but it really did sound amazing, and even though I gave it to my nephew, I miss it. Back when I owned it, I only had it, a Zune, and an iPhone. I preferred the Zune's natural sound signature just slightly over the Clip. As for the iPhone, meh, an iPod is an iPod is the most generic sound signature in the world. Actually, the Zune was my favorite sounding player before discovering this D2/Sony Extended Bass combo. Anyway, I do my exercising in the gym, and the Clip held up there just fine, even being dropped and bounced across the treadmill, a few times. It survived a few bounces off the concrete here and there to. It got scuffed up, but it worked fine, and scuffs on a player like that don't matter. It's strictly for music and operated with tactile controls, so you don't really ever even look at it.

Overall though, I'd have to agree with what most everyone already suggested. If you want something for running and something for recreational usage, get a cheap Clip for running, and something else to use during your downtime. Instead of a D2 though, I'd opt for the S9 if you want to stick with Cowon, especially if you really plan to watch videos now and again. I can't imagine watching vids on the D2, the screen nor the player scream "look at me", for any reason. The S9 is a sexy beast though. If you're considering anything else, I might actually look into an Archos. I have an Archos 5, and while it's no joy to lug around (clunky and heavy), I love it. Huge storage capacity, sound quality is more than acceptable, the screen a joy to watch video on, and I've had it get soaked in Coke twice (don't ask lol), and it's still going strong.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:57 AM

Following on from Trollgrinder's conclusion, I'd agree that if video is (or will be) important to you, then an S9 (or anything with a bigger screen) would perhaps be preferable to the D2. However, I believe the S9 has no card slot and is therefore limited to its internal memory, whereas the D2 can be expanded with SD/SDHC cards.

Old 06-14-2009, 11:00 AM

Well I went for the D2+ from Newegg (had a great price on it!) as well as a Sansa Clip. I like them both a lot. Rhythmbox handles them extremely well so I just fell in love with that program again (Rhythmbox and Songbird constantly fight it out on my computer for default music player).

It is pretty much the Clip for running/exercising and the D2 for everything else (driving to work, at work, etc.)

Video isn't exactly a high priority for me, neither is photos. I had the 5th gen ipod (with video) and I think I watched a movie once on there and never put any photos on. I actually may try that more now that the battery will last longer than half a movie now

Anyways, thank you for all your help and stuff. I'm really happy with the purchase.

P.S. my Clip makes a rattling sound when I shake it too.

Last edited by choobie; 06-14-2009 at 11:13 AM.