android
Old 04-28-2008, 10:38 AM

Help Playlist questions

Hi.
I bought a microSD card to extend my memory and discovered the bad truth : my sansa (with rockbox) will play the drives independently. So, this morning, I had this idea to create a playlist to join both drives (both the internal and microSD card memory).

So, I have two questions.

1. I know that I need to edit a M3U playlist to remove the drives letter from the filepaths. But, how can I get the files on the microSD card? What is the path I need in order to get the files? (I named my card "microSDCard" in Windows)

2. Do rockbox reads M3U or I need to convert it to PLP using the software I found here?

Thanks to help me out.

Last edited by Lebon14; 04-28-2008 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Typos...

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-28-2008, 11:26 AM

I had the exact same problem with you my friend. How I solved it? Well it's simple! I got used to create playlists within Rockbox. Well it's a pain in the a$$ to name the playlist using the scrollwheel but that's a sure way that Rockbox will play the files from the stick. It's not that hard to make a playlist from the files you want.. Go to Music, then go back one level using the Rewind button and then select the path named <microSD1>. From there browse to where your music files are and select the first song on the list. That way it will create an "On the go" playlist similar to the one you can create on the OF. Then, while in the "Now playing" screen press the Sub-menu button, then go to Playlist and finaly select "Save Current Playlist". Then you will be asked to input a name for the playlist and voila! You got your fully working playlist! If you want later to add more songs in the same playlist do the following.. Open the playlist you want the files to be added and play a song in it.. Then browse your memory card the same way as before.. Music -> <microSD1> -> Find the folder where the files you are looking for are located but dont select it. Instead press the sub-menu button and then select Playlist -> And then "Insert Last" if you want the files to be added after all the songs already in the playlist or select "Insert Next" if you want the files to be added after the song you are currently listening to. If you have any questions PM me. I will be glad to help you. Also if I manage to find a way to make working playlists using a PC I will post it here..
Steve

Old 04-28-2008, 03:53 PM

Thanks for the reply.
But is there an alternative to that? Because, I would like to create the playlist using my media player abd edit afterward. Is it possible?

Old 04-28-2008, 06:07 PM

OK.
I figured out. So, here is a quick explanation.

So, first off, compile your playlist in your favourite multimedia software, like Winamp. When all it's done, save your playlist with a name under the format of playlist M3U8.

Then, open the playlist with notepad or any text editor. In truth, a playlist is only a text file...

Anyway, for this example, I will use the /MUSIC/ folder as example and the root of the microSD card. Here we go.

So, let's say there is 4 files. In the playlist, originally, they are written like that. K:\ is the Sansa's internal memory. L:\ is the microSD card

K:\MUSIC\ACDC - TNT.wma
K:\MUSIC\Metallica - Fuel.flac
L:\Trance Megamix.mp3
L:\Cascada song clip.ogg

So, to be able to Rockbox to recognize the playlist and to have no errors and play fine everyfile you have to modify the playlist like that :

\MUSIC\ACDC - TNT.wma
\MUSIC\Metallica - Fuel.flac
\<microSD1>\Trance Megamix.mp3
\<microSD1>\Cascada song clip.ogg

Like that, you can create your playlist fast and easily using your MP3 reader software!

Last thing, it needs to be in the K:\PLAYLISTS\ directory. Then, go to "Playlists" on the rockbox interface and select "View catalog". Choose the playlist and voilą!

Enjoy.

P.S : You need to be in Hard Drive mode of the MP3 to make those things. Not in Synchronization mode (MTP).

Last edited by Lebon14; 04-28-2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Added important information

Old 04-29-2008, 06:02 AM

Damn you were fast! :P Although I was told by Cpchan to edit my playlists with Notepad I always kept forgeting it.. Anyway good job mate. That surely makes it easier now.. ^^

Old 04-29-2008, 01:37 PM

Default Playlist Creator

I've actually been doing it the following way. After putting the music files on the player I run Playlist Creator from
http://www.oddgravity.de/app-opc.php

Just point the output to be the /playlist directory on the player. The program easily creates a playlist of multiple playlists which I also tend to do.

But then again I'm a simpleton. I generally only listen to music on the player and not the computer. I also have Media Monkey and Winamp but do not sync with them. I just drag and drop what I want to my 8 gig player in folders of artist/album and generate the playlist. The microSD is primarily used for the occassional video or data files to replace my work-based flash drive but I'm sure the program would handle creating a playlist over multiple source points.

As an aside, since this is my first post, I appreciate kugel, chrisjs and cpchan's builds. I have used them all at various points. Thanks guys. I have also appreciated all the theme work that has been done. Currently I'm enjoying my Pittsburgh Steelers tweaked Cowon-modded theme

Old 06-05-2008, 07:36 PM

Newbie to Rockbox here....so I take it there's no way to make playlists on WMP11? I put all my music files on a microSD card, which I sync (outside the player) with WMP11. I was hoping I could make my playlists on WMP11, then manually move them over to some mystery directory within .rockbox? Also, does it look like Rockbox will support usb any time soon?

Old 04-06-2009, 06:52 PM

Lebon14:

That was an awesome tip, and mostly solved my problems.

With my microSD card, the playlist in the C240 wouldn't recognize files in the root of the microSD, or in the MUSIC directory of the main player. So, I had to put the files I loaded on the respective locations in other named subdirectories, and everything works great.

The only things I wish were that either Playlist Creator could recognize this feature or there was a simple program to reach into those created playlists to change the " I:\ " (my computer has the SD card coming up as drive I) to " \<microSD1>\ (insert directory name here) \". I tried winGrep, but it turned out to be as much hassle as opening each file in Notepad, and doing a search/replace. Any suggestions?

C'ya
Cran

Old 04-08-2009, 06:40 PM

What you can do is to take your favorite music player and create a tracklist with all the files from your C240.

After that, open the M3U8 in Notepad++ (or any advanced text editing editors) and "search and replace" every drive letter (E:, F: etc) with a space, or better, nothing

Example :

Before
E:\MUSIC\file.mp3

After
\MUSIC\file.mp3

If you put a space, be sure to remove it after.

Now, after, for the microSD card, you have thp replace the drive letter by "\microSD1"

Example :

Before
F:\file2.mp3

After
\microSD1\file2.mp3

Remember to remove the space if you used them. It should be an easy and fast manip even if there's 500 files.

After, everytime you add files, you only have to add them at the end of the files manually with the text editor.

Hope it helps.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:38 PM

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but once you have your MicroSD Card plugged in your Sansa with RockBox running, can't you just have it build the database and use that?
I mean, that's pretty much what the OF does, though it does it automatically by default.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manicx View Post
Excuse me if I'm wrong, but once you have your MicroSD Card plugged in your Sansa with RockBox running, can't you just have it build the database and use that?
I mean, that's pretty much what the OF does, though it does it automatically by default.
Nope. RockBox only automaticly builds a playlist for either the on-board storage OR microSD. Never both in one. Don't ask me why. IT DOESN'T WORK. You need to make your own tracklist to make it work.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebon14 View Post
Nope. RockBox only automaticly builds a playlist for either the on-board storage OR microSD. Never both in one. Don't ask me why. IT DOESN'T WORK. You need to make your own tracklist to make it work.
Then have it build the separate ones, then you can use the "Insert Playlist" thing in Rockbox to stick them together and then save it.

Old 06-11-2009, 08:14 PM

ive looked around to the best of my ability for creating playlists but i havent found anything. when i try creating a playlist, on the sansa, all it says s inserted _ tracks, and disappears, im very confused!

Old 06-12-2009, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryliu View Post
ive looked around to the best of my ability for creating playlists but i havent found anything. when i try creating a playlist, on the sansa, all it says s inserted _ tracks, and disappears, im very confused!
google Sanse Playlister. It's for the e200 and it should do the trick for ya.
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC