android
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2009, 05:39 AM
Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
OK, Dave:
If you had a new CD and you were going to rip it(lossy), what would be your codec and bitrate of choice?

This could perhaps be a 2 part question, as in one case if you were using a small capacity flash device, and another choice if you were using a HDD device.

I'm just curious if in using multiple devices, in different settings all over the place, if you've happened to grow fond of any one codec over the rest.
Actually I'm not that much of an audiophile - which is ironic since I maintain a home studio and used to do a fair bit of recording, including of myself (I'm a pianist).

Anyhow, back in the day I sat down and ripped ALL my CDs in WMA, 192k. For me that was the right mix of high enough resolution, small enough size. That was probably 3 or 4 years ago now. Subsequent CDs I started to rip in WMA VBR, on the 135-215kbps setting, and now the occasional CD I come across I'll do in WMA VBR on the best quality setting (240-355kbps).

I have a media server at home which serves up TV, music & pics through the house. It has 4TB of storage, so one day I'll re-rip everything in lossless formats. However, I have to confess that when I recently discovered ~12 CDs I forgot to rip - I instead opted to just download them from Zune, it was so much quicker than sitting at my PC feeding it CDs...

Cheers, Dave.

Tags
dave, microsoft, questions, zune