android
Old 06-06-2009, 01:26 AM

Unhappy D2+ 500 folder limit is wrong!!!

I have a 16gb D2 running D2+ firmware (2.10). The D2+ is advertised by Cowon has having a 4000 file/500 folder limitation for the SD card that is inserted.

My SD card is a Patriot 32gb (an excellent card, by the way). Most of my music is classical, so in general, the files are often lengthy. So when I filled up the card, I ended up with slightly under 3000 files and 487 folders.

The D2 constantly got the SD card directory messed up. (I use the folder/file method for searching for tracks.) I tried erasing the memory, but it still malfunctioned. I tried reverting to 2.02 to see if it helped. Nothing worked.

So in desperation I removed enough files and folders to get the number of folders below 400. (399 to be exact!) The directory now works perfectly.

My experience is that the true folder limit is 400, not 500 as advertised.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-06-2009, 06:12 PM

What you experienced was a common glitch when adding too many files at once.
And the D2 will always be limited by its total storage capacity regardless of how many folders you have on it.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leroy Bad View Post
What you experienced was a common glitch when adding too many files at once.
And the D2 will always be limited by its total storage capacity regardless of how many folders you have on it.
I don't that's true in my case. Like I say, I reduced the number of folders to 399 and the directory read perfectly. When I added two more folders with very few files, the reading of the directory immediately had problems. I reduced the folders to just under 400 again, and the problems disappeared.

I should add that the number of files is well under 4000, so that isn't a problem.

Cowon advertises the D2+ as being able to hold 4000 files and 500 folders. My unit is actually a D2 running D2+ software (2.11), but I don't think that should make any difference since the hardware is basically the same.