android
Old 05-30-2009, 06:50 AM

Default Grado SR225's with the D2?

Hi,

I'm looking to uprading my headphones (Koss Portapro) later this year and as I am unable to "try before I buy" I am doing the usual research but can find very little about the compatability of the Grado SR 225 with the D2. I listen to all sorts of music (via flac files) and am seduced by the number of positive reviews. Is there anyone who has had experience with these phones and when used with the D2 are they worth the extra from the DR80.

Any other suggestions would be welcome

Thanks

Cowon D2
Phonak
Koss Portapro
Eii5

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-30-2009, 07:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

If you're worried about the D2 being able to drive the Grado SR225's, it should be no problem. They're only 32ohm, and I have 60ohm Sony MDR-V6's that I used w/the D2 all the time. They'll sound fantastic together.

Old 05-30-2009, 07:22 AM

Yes, that was one of my concerns. Thanks for your reply Darkside.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:44 AM

I have no personal experience with that particular combination, but I think the clean, precise sound of the D2/D2+ would pair beautifully with the specific qualities of the 225s.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:17 AM

If it's any help at all, Grado SR 60s sound real good on the D2+.

I also use an older pair of Sennheiser HD575s which sound real good overall and have more bass than the SR 60s.

But hey, even though the Sennheisers are a "better" set of phones, and I use them as an auido benchmark reference, there are times that I prefer the more "punchy" sound of the "cheapo" Grado SR 60s!

Old 06-02-2009, 10:26 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by organdude View Post
If it's any help at all, Grado SR 60s sound real good on the D2+.

I also use an older pair of Sennheiser HD575s which sound real good overall and have more bass than the SR 60s.

But hey, even though the Sennheisers are a "better" set of phones, and I use them as an auido benchmark reference, there are times that I prefer the more "punchy" sound of the "cheapo" Grado SR 60s!
The Grado SR60i that I just got is the best thing I've bought this year.

Old 06-08-2009, 02:33 PM

The D2 is an extremely versatile player and should drive any type of phone well. I use it with the 325's (they're 32 ohms) and the two are well matched. I also use the Etymotic er4s, but these are 48ohm monitors, thus they needed an amp.

However, the detail of the Grado's coupled with the detail of the D2 wouldn't be everybody's cup of tea. I do find myself EQing the highs down a fair bit. Suffice-it-to-say this is not a warm combination. But, if you love crisp detail then this is a good choice. They have nice, tight detail in the lower frequencies too I might add.

Last edited by KMASCII; 06-08-2009 at 02:35 PM. Reason: grammar