android
Old 06-01-2009, 01:17 AM

Default D2 & Mac computer not cooperating

ok I posted this issue on the cowon forum, but that place seems dead, so i'll try here...here is the dilema:

I just switched to a mac (former pc owner) and noticed that my cowon d2 will not recognize properly on my mac. The Cowon D2 shows up on my mac as "D2" and then i start to drag and drop music files over, once it says they are complete, i turn it on, only to realize that it says "no music" and or i get a completely frozen screen. I had the firmware version 2.55, just updated to 2.59 and it still does the same thing. Also, another odd thing is, one time i plugged in my Cowon D2 and this time instead of "D2" it read "COWON" ironically, when i moved files over and turned it on, it worked, however since then it's been saying "D2" and nothing is working...any help here would greatly be appreciateed. I can't figure out why this is happening, I should be able to plug it in, drag and drop and call it a day. Thanks for any response.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 06-01-2009, 11:40 AM

make sure the device is in MSC mode, not MTP. see if that helps alternately you could always set up a virtual machine on the mac, making it run linux or windows

Old 06-01-2009, 12:20 PM

My player is on msc mode as that is the drag and drop selection, I shouldn't have to use windows or linux (which I don't even have copies of) just to get my player to work, I appreciate the response and albeit that is a alternative solution, cowon says mac os x is supported and yet I'm not seeing this happening, it is quite frustrating...perhaps I should call them?

Last edited by sayre; 06-01-2009 at 08:48 PM.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:22 PM

ok i tried a little something different, i cleared the memory under settings and then did a hard reset and it seemed to have worked...looks like i'll have to keep doing that to get it to work when i want to add new songs...i'll be searching for a new player soon i guess, since this thing isn't working properly like it should

Old 06-03-2009, 12:44 PM

Compared with my X5, my D2+ is a lot more sensitive to the USB connection. I've had to connect the D2+ directly to one of the USB2.0 ports on the computer (G4 MDD with added USB2.0 card) instead of through a USB hub. It might be worth trying a direct connection like that.

Old 06-04-2009, 06:00 AM

on the Macbook a powered USB hub also works well. the D2 is recognised as D2 but the external card is, as usual on a Mac recognised as NO NAME, unless you have given it a special name.

Old 06-04-2009, 11:13 AM

well I have an iMac and it is directly connected, so I don't know, it's weird, I'm almost at the point of buying a diff. player to be honest. I have not renamed it either, but have seen "D2" and "COWON," perhaps I should try the 4 diff. usb ports on the mac and test each one, although that would be strange if one worked better than the other ports.