android
Old 05-29-2009, 07:30 PM

Angry Fuze Died...Already!

I just got my Fuze on Monday...spent many hours on Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday loading music onto it and creating Playlists...and now it's just decided to die!

One particular song seemed to suddenly give it hiccups -- though not on its own, but when part of a Playlist! This Playlist would show up fine in WinXP (SP3) but on the Fuze would be seriously truncated...WTF?!

Turned out it wasn't that particular .mp3 file, as after a while it just friggin' choked and passed out permanently!!!

Despite SanDisk's instructions on its little placard that comes with the Fuze ("Problems? Don't return it to the store...contact SanDisk..."), I'm sure as hell returning it to the store! Unfortunately, it's a Jewish store, and they're out for some Jewish holiday -- so no Fuze until Sunday at the earliest!

The worst part of all this is that I was on my way to the gym when it started acting up...so I go home and connected it to the laptop to see what's up...tried to diagnose and make adjustments...and it would seem fine...then act up again when I'm on my way to the gym -- this happened like three or four times until it just committed suicide!!

I hope this is an aberration, as my previous Sansa e280r was very good (and even survived my own worst stupidity of stupidities, taking it with me into the steam room at the gym!!!), while this stupid little POS couldn't get through a first day's real usage without conking out!

(And no -- when I say "died," I mean it's completely short-circuited or something: refuses to turn on no matter what! And no, I absolutely did not go into the steam room or under a passing UFO...it just quit and left me high 'n' dry!!!)

Last edited by nyc; 05-29-2009 at 07:41 PM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-29-2009, 08:40 PM
Ultra Senior Member

This is typical behavior. All Fuzes die within a week.

I kid -- and, really, I sympathize with your plight. But don't give up on them yet, Fuzes can be quite nice when they're not lemons.

Old 05-29-2009, 10:44 PM

Yep, sounds like a lemon. Happens with any product.

Old 05-30-2009, 12:50 AM

Red face It's Alive!!!

Okay, so I found something of a solution here on SanDisk's Knowledge Base:

http://kb.sandisk.com/cgi-bin/sandis...i=&p_topview=1

First thing I'm a-gon do is copy over the "music" folder -- especially the Playlists!

Then I'm gonna experiment and see if I can somehow isolate some aspect of this problem....

But ultimately, what do y'all recommend: return for a new one??

It's turned back on and everything seems intact -- so far...oh, what am I saying; of course I should just get a new one!

Sure hope I don't get another crazy-assed unit....

Old 05-30-2009, 01:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc View Post

It's turned back on and everything seems intact -- so far...oh, what am I saying; of course I should just get a new one!
Yes, definitely exchange it.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:57 AM

Thumb Down Yep, Will Do

It's now not "intact" anymore...I've updated its firmware (thought I'd already done that; apparently the Sansa Updater didn't do its job properly the first time around, probably having to do with a bit of "confusion" [on the software's part] due to it having been the old Sansa e280r Updater that's installed on my machine)...and not only is my music all gone, but I'm told that the copy of my music won't fit on the Fuze!

Somehow the system thinks the Fuze, restored to its "factory-fresh" state, doesn't have the space available for ~5GB worth of .mp3 files!! Actually, it states that there's only ~2GB of free space left -- WTF?!?!?! Sansa's own preloaded music is only 71MB!!!

Really hope the store gives me a new unit tomorrow...would hate to wait four to six days going through SanDisk, making me try this that and the other first....

Old 05-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Administrator

What USB mode are you using. Auto Detect, MSC or MTP?

Firmware updates can cause that setting to switch by itself. The default is Auto Detect which usually goes to MTP. Whatever mode you loaded your Music in is the one you need to select. The player can't see tunes that were loaded in another mode but it will detect that the space in unavailable.

If you have the music saved to your HD I would recommend that you format.. Home> Settings > System Settings> Format.. the player. That will return the the player to all the factory defaults and erase all the media contents. It will not change the firmware back to the earlier version but will restore the default folders. You can then go here and reinstall the firmware. There is no need to use the buggy Sansa Updater. Just make sure you have the right version, v1 or v2 for your Fuze. Follow the directions for unzipping the .bin file to the root of your player and you should have a player that is in factory new condition.

If all goes well and this is not a hardware problem you can then pick a USB mode and reload your player. Just be sure to stay consistent in loading and using your Fuze in whatever mode you choose.

If you continue having problems you have to assume that this is a hardware problem and you should definitely return or exchange it for a new one. Hope this works for you.

Good Luck.

BTW you shouldn't multi-post about the same issue. It's not not considered the best way to get help and most of the members that might be able to help are not going read through several threads to lend a hand.

Old 05-30-2009, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc View Post
Okay, so I found something of a solution here on SanDisk's Knowledge Base:

http://kb.sandisk.com/cgi-bin/sandis...i=&p_topview=1

First thing I'm a-gon do is copy over the "music" folder -- especially the Playlists!

Then I'm gonna experiment and see if I can somehow isolate some aspect of this problem....

Sure hope I don't get another crazy-assed unit....
just an FYI... in your haste to put on all your music, playlists etc you may not have given the DB enough FREE space to do it's thing?. Corrupted DB's (for whatever reason) can do crazy things to players...unfortunately I know from previous experience. I always give my player(s) anywhere from 50-100 megs free to work it's magic. No problemos so far!
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 05-30-2009, 07:04 PM

Corrupted files can wreak havoc on players that only expect correctly formatted files to be loaded. I used to have an MP3 that would cause my computer to freeze whenever I played it.

In case you're wondering why I would play it more than once - it's because the problem was hard to track down as I almost always play my entire collection on shuffle. Rebooting the computer would of course reset the play order. This was probably Windows 98 and Winamp version 1.x or 2.x

Old 05-30-2009, 10:43 PM
Banned

I have seen this kinda thing on a few players, if u have a backup, just do what skip said, format it from its menu, and put ur tunes back on, and if you use MTP mode, make sure the players set to that mode after update(mine came updated, but a buddy of mine got one a couple weeks back at bb that was running orignal firmware from when v2 first came out :S )

Tags
crap, fuze, problems, sansa