android
Old 07-17-2008, 02:26 AM

Default Sony Media Manager for Walkman now free

http://support.sony-europe.com/DNA/D...l=en&f=mmgr_dl

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 07-17-2008, 02:38 AM

meh, it doesn't install, keeps claiming requirements not met even after installing that annoying quicktime software on my computer. i prefer quicktime alternative.

i wonder if it even does multithreaded encoding.

Old 07-17-2008, 06:56 AM

I thought it was free already??

Old 07-17-2008, 09:04 AM
Ultra Senior Member

It is free - just doesn't convert on manage video. That's the pay version.

Old 07-19-2008, 03:55 AM

ok i was misled heh

Old 07-30-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nywytboy68 View Post
It is free - just doesn't convert on manage video. That's the pay version.
So, what you are writing is that if I purchase media manager, it will assist in converting video files to the exact format needed to transfer to my walkman?

I still haven't been able to do this using free 3rd party software...

Old 07-31-2008, 02:39 PM

Well, I finally got this to work... and Sony Media Manager works like a charm.

Sure I had to pay $12.00(US) for Sony Media Manager Pro, but this is exactly what I was looking for... After trying a dozen free 3rd party software, I was starting to give up. $12 is certainly reasonable and its ease of use is what is key.

I can basically drag any video file format into the video window and after a few seconds, it is converted and viewable on my Walkman!

In my opinion, well worth the $12...

Old 01-27-2009, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklesNilan View Post

Sure I had to pay $12.00(US) for Sony Media Manager Pro, but this is exactly what I was looking for... After trying a dozen free 3rd party software, I was starting to give up. $12 is certainly reasonable and its ease of use is what is key.

I can basically drag any video file format into the video window and after a few seconds, it is converted and viewable on my Walkman!

"I can basically drag any video file format into the video window and after a few seconds, it is converted and viewable on my Walkman!

In my opinion, well worth the $12... "
After a few seconds?? It takes mine an hour to convert mine (3.3 ghz, 1G Ram Intel Celeron computer)
Plus the crappy software has no scheduler to check for video podcast updates, autimatically retrieve them and automatically convert them, so that I can hook up my walkman transfer my files and be on my way. If you ask me the Media Manager is a piece. If I could just get Juice or NovaPod (both freeware) to convert the files, then I would just use them.

Old 02-08-2009, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stltom View Post
"I can basically drag any video file format into the video window and after a few seconds, it is converted and viewable on my Walkman!

In my opinion, well worth the $12... "
After a few seconds?? It takes mine an hour to convert mine (3.3 ghz, 1G Ram Intel Celeron computer)
Plus the crappy software has no scheduler to check for video podcast updates, autimatically retrieve them and automatically convert them, so that I can hook up my walkman transfer my files and be on my way. If you ask me the Media Manager is a piece. If I could just get Juice or NovaPod (both freeware) to convert the files, then I would just use them.
Check the main settings (toolbox icon) for Podcast settings and set podcast refresh to what you want. Anything from every half hour to once a month.

Settings for auto conversion and transfer are available for each podcast. Click the toolbox icon under the podcast description and select how many items to download, how many to keep and you can check the box for automatic transfer.

I am describing features available in version 1.2, but I'm pretty sure they were also available in 1.1.

You don't say what it takes an hour to convert, but I haven't found it to be out of line with any of the freeware conversion progs in terms of speed. You might benefit from an extra Gig of ram, esp. on a Celeron.

Hope that helps.

Old 05-20-2009, 04:50 AM

Smile Media Manager for Walkman

I have recently upgraded to Media Manager Pro and am very dissappointed. I have previously been using a third party software to convert videos to MP4 and then drag them into MM basic and then transfer them to my walkman. All worked fine and pretty quick. No PC problems. Thought I would try MM Pro as it give the impression it will do most things,but it takes forever and wont always display downloaded videos in the top pane for conversion. I say again my PC is fine.If I still use the third party software so the file is already in MP4 or MPEG4 and on dragging it into MM Pro it wants to convert it all over again. ie a 1 hour video or recorded TV prog will take 1 1/2 hours to put on my Walkman. I would now prefer to go back to my old method but if I reloade the MM basic software I dont have the product key recorderd and it may conflict with the MM pro.Maybe I could create a new file in the programmes and call it Sony 2 to put MM basic in? Sony help dont seem to respond to this sort of problem. any comments welcome.

Old 05-20-2009, 05:50 AM

There is another free program from Sony that might work for you: Content Transfer (CT). Unlike Media Manager for Walkman PRO, it doesn't do any kind of format conversion so the files must already be in a compatible format. It simply allows you to drag and drop music, pictures, and videos on to your player, and I've found it to be a vast improvement over Media Manager for Walkman.

As far as using the program, it's fairly simple: Start CT, connect your Walkman, and then drag-and-drop your files into the CT window. CT will take care of putting the files into the correct locations on your player. Also, unlike when you drag-and-drop files on your player through Windows Explorer, the year will display on your player when you load the files via CT.

I hope this helps.
MediaMonkey 4
Headphones: Koss PortaPro

Old 05-20-2009, 05:55 AM

Default media manager for walkman

Thank you very much for the reply. that piece of software sounds just the job. will try that ths evening. All best Martin

Old 05-20-2009, 06:25 AM

Default media manager for sony walkman

I have just had a look at the above software one paragraph seems to imply that it will only operate with products idenified and sold in the USA Latin america and Canada I am in the UK, and further on does not list my operating system Windows XP "Media Edition" I am going to try it just the same..

Old 05-21-2009, 03:31 AM

Default Media Manager for Walkman

Further to my last post it may be of help to someone. I phoned Sony Creative Software when I got home yesterday and they told me "Content Transfer" will work with Windows XP Media edition 2005 and later.
I also asked about reverting to Media Manager basic version having just upgraded to MM Pro and found it does not perform very well. This is possible and they looked up my product key, I upgraded and intalled MM pro online so had no record of my original key. It will be necessary to uninstall MM Pro, after recording the key, which is also recorded in the email for the order. I was told it is possible to uninstall and re install either version form then on. we will see.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:16 AM

Default Media Manager for Walkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnucklesNilan View Post

I just paid for the upgrade I would be interested to know how yours works so quickly. Mine works but a two hour " Recorded TV Programme" Take almost 4 hours to convert and transfer to my walkman. A 3 minute Youtube clip takes about ten minutes. My PC is clean defragged etc and is up to date. Am I missing something in the settings? any help would be much appreciated guys.