android
Old 05-15-2009, 10:42 PM

Thumb Up Philips SHE9700 IEMs. Wow.

Ok. This is a HUGE shock to me. I picked up a pair of these at OfficeMax (of all places) during a business trip, as I ripped the cord on my Atrios(Ugh. Dont ask) and wanted a cheap pair of IEMs to use during the trip until I could get back and get the Atrios repaired. Although a tad bit on the bright side, these are quite awesome. And I'm quite picky. The bass is solid and mids and highs are crystal clear.

They are extremely sensitive (106db) and present the source with a decent impedance (16ohms). Of course, I tried them with all my players once I got back home. This includes the Clip, Fuze, Samsung S3, Zune 8 and iPod Nano 4G. I also tested the above players paired with the Fiio E3 and was equally impressed. The E3 tames the brightness (which again, I actually like) and adds even more thump. Although, the preset bass boost on the E3 tends to over-exaggerate the midbass, slightly affecting sound quality. I prefer to go ampless using these phones and must say the Ipod Nano 4G paired with these, set at a flat EQ really sounds good. God, I can't believe I just said that.

These are certainly not pro-level IEM's, but for $20 you can do a LOT worse. Previous to these my favorite "less than $100" IEMs were the Sony EX85s, which run about $50-$60 and to me, these sound even better. And they are quite comfy, too.

If you need a cheap pair of IEMs, I'd DEFINITELY reccomend looking at these. You can get 'em at Amazon for like $12 new, which is quite a steal.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Ultra Senior Member

cool! it's good to know that people now have a wide array of decent headphones without having to spend too much. not everyone is willing to spend $100 on a pair.

Tags
iems, philips, she9700