android
Old 05-07-2009, 10:08 AM

Default Looking for MP3 player that is comfortable for large hands

Hey all. I am in need of a new mp3 player (my Fuze is no longer charging for some reason) and I am here looking for some advice. I have a warrenty on the Fuze at Best Buy, so I am kinda limited on what I can pick up. I am not looking for anything special with fancy options like a touchscreen or fully customizable interface. I prefer tactile controls over fancy touchscreens. I need an MSC player because I need something that will work on any OS (I have a Mac right now, but I have used many Linux distros in the past). I also want something that will fit more comfortably in my hands then the Fuze (size comparison: the Fuze is smaller then the palm of my hand).

I looked into a Zune, but with no Mac support coming ever, its a no-go. I was looking at the Sony A726, but its MTP only. My only other choice at BB is an iPod : shivers: and I am doing my best not to go down that path. I might be able to get my money back if there is a nice person working the return counter when I go by, so getting a player online might be an option. I have done my research (for players at Best Buy and online), but I can't seem to find something that fits my needs. Can anyone here help me out?

As always, thanks ahead of time to anyone who can help me out.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

why not get another Fuze? Are your hands too large for it?

My hands are large (I prefer XL gloves), but maybe not as large as yours. I have no problems with the Fuze.

Steve

Old 05-07-2009, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
why not get another Fuze? Are your hands too large for it?

My hands are large (I prefer XL gloves), but maybe not as large as yours. I have no problems with the Fuze.

Steve
Like I said before, it no bigger then my palm. I also have large fingers, so maybe that is why its feels so odd to hold. I came from the Samsung P2 and Sansa View, both of which were "tall". I guess that is what I am looking for. Something my long fingers can wrap around comfortably.

I will probably end up getting a Fuze as a replacement, but trying to see if anyone knows of a better player for my needs.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:14 PM

The P3 fits my hands pretty good...better than the Q2, it's only slightly bigger but because of it's square-ish shape and form it is easy to hold and control. I have good size hands...double-jointed thumbs help me be able to tolerate operating most small electronics. P3 size is a pretty perfect size though.

If you need bigger you might need something like the Zune 120.

Old 05-07-2009, 11:58 PM

Well, I've got a few suggestions.

I know you said you prefer tactile controls, but I seriously like the Cowon S9. It is easy and connects to a Mac!
Another good consideration might be an iriver e100. It's an MSC or MTP device and uses tactile controls, based on the iriver d-cilx interface. You may also want to check out some others from iriver.

Those are only a couple of many. There are many other players that you can consider.

Old 05-08-2009, 12:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Well, this is one instance where nobody will recommend a Clip!

Old 05-08-2009, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Well, this is one instance where nobody will recommend a Clip!
lol......

try the s9.. its a good size for those who have reasonably big hands

Old 05-08-2009, 05:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GumbyX84 View Post
I was looking at the Sony A726, but its MTP only.
no it isn't. it defaults to MTP if the OS supports it but works fine as an MSC device on operating systems that don't. and if you're using windows and it defaults to MTP, you can use device manager to change to MSC mode. you can't change modes on the device itself though.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:57 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Here, I've located the PERFECT player for you guys w/hamhocks for hands. Just be forewarned, sq is not something to brag about w/this 1 though:

Old 05-08-2009, 05:59 AM

super whitening toothpaste an included accessory...

Old 05-08-2009, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2003 View Post
no it isn't. it defaults to MTP if the OS supports it but works fine as an MSC device on operating systems that don't. and if you're using windows and it defaults to MTP, you can use device manager to change to MSC mode. you can't change modes on the device itself though.
Did not know that. The MP3 Comparision chart here says its MTP only. If I may ask, how is the audio quality of the A726 compared to the Fuze?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
The P3 fits my hands pretty good...better than the Q2, it's only slightly bigger but because of it's square-ish shape and form it is easy to hold and control. I have good size hands...double-jointed thumbs help me be able to tolerate operating most small electronics. P3 size is a pretty perfect size though.

If you need bigger you might need something like the Zune 120.
Two problems with your suggestions:
1. The P3 (if you mean the Samsung P3) is touchscreen, which I kinda want to stay away from (mentioned in first post).
2. While the Zune looks to be very close to what I want, it sadly is MTP only. I cannot get it to work natively on my Mac. If I can't find anything else at Best Buy that will fit my needs as well as the Zune, I might just break down and get it to test how well it works in a VM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Here, I've located the PERFECT player for you guys w/hamhocks for hands. Just be forewarned, sq is not something to brag about w/this 1 though:
Those would be great, but was hoping to find one that would fit in a messanger bag or backpack. You know,with other stuff in it.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:03 AM

Just an update on my search: I have tested the audio quality of the Fuze to an iPod 4G. Surprisingly, they didn't sound all that different. Seeing as the iPod has the shape and size I want (around the same as a Fuze), I have to say its a contenter now. I am still looking at a Zune and A720 though.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I had the A829 (the blue tooth higher capacity to the A72X series) and the SQ is fantastic. It's better than the iPod (including the Touch I own) and the Zune. IMO, it's better than the Fuze as well. I think you'd love it, so see if you can audition 1 of them as well.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
I had the A829 (the blue tooth higher capacity to the A72X series) and the SQ is fantastic. It's better than the iPod (including the Touch I own) and the Zune. IMO, it's better than the Fuze as well. I think you'd love it, so see if you can audition 1 of them as well.
I will see if they have that in stock when I go by Best Buy.

ATM I am stuck between the Sony A829, Zune 120GB (large screen would be good to watch anime on), Archos 5 (close enough to an MID, which I really want), or iPod Nano (large enough for me hand size). Should be able to stop by Best Buy tonight and compair them all in person. Hopefully I make right decisions and get a player that will fit all my needs, current and future.

GA, why did I have to rememeber watching videos on a protable?

Old 05-08-2009, 02:39 PM

If you are in the U.S. there are plenty of Sony outlets around country....you might want to see if you have one close. When I go down by the border the Sony outlet there has a good selection of their mp3 players. Priced good for in store....besides you can snatch up some more headphones, case, etc...

I know what you mean about not wanting a touchscreen too....I don't like touchscreens. I do like the P3 and iPod Touch though....because they do touchscreen very well.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
If you are in the U.S. there are plenty of Sony outlets around country....you might want to see if you have one close. When I go down by the border the Sony outlet there has a good selection of their mp3 players. Priced good for in store....besides you can snatch up some more headphones, case, etc...

I know what you mean about not wanting a touchscreen too....I don't like touchscreens. I do like the P3 and iPod Touch though....because they do touchscreen very well.
Sadly, I am stuck with whatever Best Buy has in stock. It will be a warrenty exchange.

Update: I ended up getting a 4GB Cranberry Fuze. Nothing Best Buy had really worked for me. I will stick with the Fuze until I see what new MIDs/PMPs come out over the summer. I still ask if anyone has any suggestion of current or future players for me, please feel free to post about them. Thanks to all who gave me advice. Really do appreciate it.

Last edited by GumbyX84; 05-08-2009 at 10:01 PM. Reason: Updating

Old 05-09-2009, 01:31 AM

Glad you didn't buy a zune. I use linux and zunes do not work in virtual machines or compatibility layers.

Tags
big hands, large hands, player