android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Toshiba Gigabeat > Toshiba Gigabeat S

View Poll Results: Did DaveMac-MS's Zune fix solve your problem?
Yes it did and thank you to DaveMac-MS 2 16.67%
No I couldn't get it to work 8 66.67%
I lost my thumbs in a freak monkey accident so I'm throwing it in a drawer to rot 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-07-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffaloclaw View Post
Are you using the patched version?

I didn't think this would matter, but before I downloaded that patched firmware update, I downloaded the Linux rockbox version of the firmware and tried to update my Gigabeat with the Windows sendfirm utility, but that didn't work.

Then I tried with the unpatched version of the firmware update, and got a Japanese updater. Since I can't read Japanese, I gave up on that and tried the patched version. It worked on the first time I tried it doing the procedure I outlined above.

Here is something else you can try. Go to http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...are_Update_1_5 and look for the section called "Firmware Update". Download sendfirm.exe from the Windows section. Copy it to your gigabeat-s-b folder created when you extacted from the rar file. Assuming you did indeed download the patched version, you should have a file called nk_orig.bin. Or if you're recover.bat didn't finish cleanly it might be called nk.bin. If it is called nk_orig.bin, copy it to a file called nk.bin. Via a command window, cd into your gigabeat-s-b folder and type "sendfirm nk.bin". Maybe that will work.

You could also try running recover.bat in that folder once you have sendfirm.exe in it.
I tried the sendfirm, and actually got one step further. I send the nk.bin from the command window and it eventually comes back with sent confirmation on the PC. Nothing on the giga at this point. So I pull either the power plug or the USB connection and it goes thru a reboot (when plugging the power back in or immediately when disconnecting the USB). This time I get to see the standard Windows startup screen, but right as the progress meter gets to the end of the range, up pops screen 3 which says "Firmware update or restoration required. Please wait." After about 30 seconds it will blank out and bring it back to the step 2 screen "Update or restore Portable Media Center using PC application. Read user manual.". So it becomes an endless loop.

I forgot to mention this is MEV30K, but I would not think that would matter. And I have tried the senfirm with the patched, unpatched and even the original code from toshiba. I get the same result for everything.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

You could try sending the rockbox bootloader via sendfirm. That would let you into UMS mode, in which case you could just copy over a new nk.bin or even rockbox itself (or both).

Old 01-07-2009, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
You could try sending the rockbox bootloader via sendfirm. That would let you into UMS mode, in which case you could just copy over a new nk.bin or even rockbox itself (or both).
Sendfirm is definitely working. I hold the device to my ear when I execute a send and I can hear the disk spin up and spin down.

However, I am a novice at most of this MP3 player stuff, so I am not certain what you mean about a rockbox bootloader. What is that?

Old 01-07-2009, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbobber View Post
Sendfirm is definitely working. I hold the device to my ear when I execute a send and I can hear the disk spin up and spin down.

However, I am a novice at most of this MP3 player stuff, so I am not certain what you mean about a rockbox bootloader. What is that?
Rockbox is a replacement firmware. It's not quite finished yet, so it takes some technical knowledge to get it up and running. It changes the disk mode from MTP to MSC (which gives you direct access to the hard drive).

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie.../GigabeatSPort

I use Rockbox on my S120 mod, and I love it. But, it may not be for everyone.

Old 01-08-2009, 08:51 AM

Quote:
I tried the sendfirm, and actually got one step further. I send the nk.bin from the command window and it eventually comes back with sent confirmation on the PC. Nothing on the giga at this point. So I pull either the power plug or the USB connection and it goes thru a reboot (when plugging the power back in or immediately when disconnecting the USB). This time I get to see the standard Windows startup screen, but right as the progress meter gets to the end of the range, up pops screen 3 which says "Firmware update or restoration required. Please wait." After about 30 seconds it will blank out and bring it back to the step 2 screen "Update or restore Portable Media Center using PC application. Read user manual.". So it becomes an endless loop.

I forgot to mention this is MEV30K, but I would not think that would matter. And I have tried the senfirm with the patched, unpatched and even the original code from toshiba. I get the same result for everything.
I think that when I ran recover.bat from the patched version, my Gigabeat had the step 2 screen "Update or restore Portable Media Center using PC application. Read user manual." Make sure that the bin file that came with the patched version is named nk_orig.bin before you execute recover.bat since it will look for a file with that name so it can rename it to nk.bin.

If that doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas. I am not expert on this stuff so I can only tell you what worked for me. I have the 60 GB Gigabyte S (I don't know the official model number, and text has rubbed off the back panel by now), so maybe we aren't comparing apples to apples.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:29 AM

I think the nk.bin file for the V needs to be different than the S version. At least that is what I have come up with. I tried just about everything and searched the web for some MEV30k firmware, but no luck. I just got this a Christmas present too. It is getting boxed up when I get home and sent back to Amazon. Nomo Toshiba for me.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:39 PM

Quote:
I just got this a Christmas present too. It is getting boxed up when I get home and sent back to Amazon. Nomo Toshiba for me.
I just left a review on Amazon about this device that will hopefully help prevent others from buying this Gigabeat without knowing of the problem that they may have with this unit. I am moving on to another MP3 player too (other than Toshiba).

Old 01-09-2009, 01:05 PM

Default Gigabeat stuck on initializing

I updated mine by somewhat following directions
Turn of gigabeat wait 6 seconds hold windows key and left side of cross down at the same time and turn it back on. That reformats it and takes everything off hard drive.

I downloaded the 1.5 updater which does not seam to work.

My unit still says Version 2.11 platform vers 1.1

But windows media player initialized it now it's not hangin up on initializing.

I added one album. unpluged then pluged back in - it seems to be working fine

MODEL MES30V

This just started after a zune on same computer was updated.
I think this is not the toshiba but the computer. Because microsoft changed something.

It's working now

Old 01-11-2009, 04:40 PM

Thumb Up SUCCESS!!! fixed my initializing problem!!

After 3 weeks, i have solved my stuck on initializing problem.....it required formatting of the gigabeat s60:
turn battery to off, wait 5 sec, turn to on position while pressing menu button and left directional button at the same time. once formatted, follow instructions on-screen for. went to toshiba customer support web site,

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/customer...p?model=mes60v

downloaded zip file of mes60v firmware, file has a different name (MESV12US) . unzip, open file and follow instructions on screen and copied to CD-r disk. once pc finished copying to disk, disk ejected. Reinsert and autorun the disc when prompted. firmware installed rather quickly and unplugged. am now syncing my entire library. small price to pay.....back up everything!!!!! hope this helps someone

Old 01-11-2009, 11:40 PM

after trying this i now get some screen in grey with a "1: and it says connect the portable media centre to a PC, and i do but now my pc cannot see it , i scan for hardware changes and nothing , , , now its just a brick .

Old 01-12-2009, 09:05 AM

Default hcmd1 Was right!!!!!!!

His fix worked.

I went to
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/customersupport /model_firmware.asp?model=mes30v

Mine is a MES30V so I changed the URL and it was alright.

I downloaded the zip file and unzipped it. Then I extracted the ISO and ran the file.

It then asked me to plug in my gigabeat and that's when I reset my device by flipping the switch on the bottom all the while holding the menu/windows button and the left directional button. It then erased everything and rest itself, after which I got he message to follow instructions on my computer and I plugged it in and it did its thing.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use this FIX!

PrinceBe.

Old 01-12-2009, 07:04 PM

Default all i did was format it....

all i did was format it and its not stuck on initializing.......but i am peee oood at toshiba....no help at.....fuck them.......i dont recommend this player.......allthough mines working again.......i still really pissed....i had heaps of photos on my mp3 and it stuffed up.......i shouldnt of relied on it as much but whateva....

Old 01-14-2009, 04:32 AM

Default A few glitches

After formatting, i attempted putting songs on my s30. After a few freezings' it eventually allowed me to put all my media.

also.....if u had alot of videos on ur mp3 and couldnt be fucked re syncing. go to this
]
C:\Documents and Settings\XP User\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Media Player\Transcoded Files Cache

and it has all videos u have synced....rename them and change the file extension to .wmv.............after u do that u can re sync like 300 videos n like 10 minutes......

Old 01-15-2009, 12:12 AM

Buffaloclaw's process works. I have four S series gigabeats that I love, and they were all useless. The firmware upgrade is great.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:28 PM

mine wont format when i turn off the battery and hold down the windows+left button. heeeeelppp.....

Old 03-05-2009, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinceBe View Post
His fix worked.

I went to
http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/customersupport /model_firmware.asp?model=mes30v

Mine is a MES30V so I changed the URL and it was alright.

I downloaded the zip file and unzipped it. Then I extracted the ISO and ran the file.

It then asked me to plug in my gigabeat and that's when I reset my device by flipping the switch on the bottom all the while holding the menu/windows button and the left directional button. It then erased everything and rest itself, after which I got he message to follow instructions on my computer and I plugged it in and it did its thing.

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Use this FIX!

PrinceBe.

This "Fix" does work. After trying everything else and giving up back in January, I moved on to another companies MP3 player. After seeing this, I went back to my old GigibeatS and gave it a try and it really worked. Now, I'll have the Gigabeat to keep and exclusively use at my office so that I don't have to carry it back and forth from home!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:34 PM

will somebody PLEASE HELP ME i try to reset it buy holding the left and windows button while turning on the battery BUT IT DOESNT WORK
PLEASE HELP

Old 04-27-2009, 09:08 AM

Default still no work...

Hey guys and gals,

I've got an s30 too. Mine has miserably failed too.

My question is this. How long does it take for your gigabeat to 'format' and finish it's "Removing media items. Please wait"???

I've tried the windows left option, and it starts the process, however, at this stage never completes.

I've left it over night a few times, even a week, and still nothing....

I've tried doing a sendfirm to the device, however I get an "Error occurred during sending!" message.

Anyone else had this?

-Steve

Old 05-04-2009, 08:15 PM

i ditched my pos gigabeat and turned to the darkside
couldnt be happier