android
Old 04-18-2009, 12:08 PM

Default Managing and using Playlist on the D2

I'm a new D2 owner...and in fact this is my first MP3 player.

I have ripped a bunch of my CDs and the ripper (K3B, I use Kubuntu Linux) automatically generates a playlist for it. I also would like to assemble extended mixes of music in Amarok (a Linux audio player) and generate a playlist from that. The question is can I use these playlists on the D2 and if so, where do I put them so that it can recognize their presence and use them?

Thanks.
Bill Lugg

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-22-2009, 09:31 PM

so far, I have, as of yet, been unsuccessful in making a playlist that will work with the D2 aside from it's Dynamic Playlist.

The D2 (fw 2.xx) uses .pla playlists that have t be sync'd with some audio program, while the device is in MTP mode... if anyone can suggest a playlist creating software that would be amazing (I tried j river, and it doesn't make .pla playlists, and WMP11 doesn't either.

is there a good playlist making software out there made for, or works really well with, the D2?

Old 04-22-2009, 09:55 PM

Could you ust make a playlist in a folder under music? go into folder browsing and use it that way.

Old 04-22-2009, 11:43 PM

the only format the D2 accepts for playlists (allegedly) is .pla I'm havin trouble finding something that makes pla playlists that isn't a whole other media player (plugin for winamp would be awesome)

besides, winamp doesn't recognize my D2 at all anyway, and WMP doesn't do the .pla thing, and there's no way to make a playlist thru windows explorer (that I've found/know of)

Old 04-23-2009, 04:58 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try using J.River Media Jukebox, as it makes playlists perfectly on the D2 (as perfect as your gonna' get actually). It WILL NOT make a playlist off of the sd card, and I've yet to get that to work (heard people claim it, and no one was successful following their instructions).

Old 04-23-2009, 06:15 PM

I've tried the Jriver thing, and you must have an old version or something, because the one I downloaded doesn't do .pla playlists at all

what is the precise difference in the way a m3u playlist and a pla playlist are written (if I opened them in notepad) if I took a m3u playlist that looks like this

Code:
#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:255,AC/DC - Back in Black
AC-DC\Back in Black\06 Back in Black.wma
#EXTINF:266,AC/DC - Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution
AC-DC\Back in Black\10 Rock and Roll Ain't Noise Pollution.wma
#EXTINF:261,AC/DC - Rock 'n Roll Train
AC-DC\Black Ice\01 Rock 'n Roll Train.wma
#EXTINF:208,AC/DC - Wheels
AC-DC\Black Ice\08 Wheels.wma
#EXTINF:213,AC/DC - Decibel
AC-DC\Black Ice\09 Decibel.wma
#EXTINF:190,AC/DC - Stormy May Day
AC-DC\Black Ice\10 Stormy May Day.wma
#EXTINF:232,AC/DC - She Likes Rock 'n Roll
AC-DC\Black Ice\11 She Likes Rock 'n Roll.wma
#EXTINF:202,AC/DC - Rocking All the Way
AC-DC\Black Ice\14 Rocking All the Way.wma
how would I make it into a pla playlist?

Last edited by Flamin_Spirit; 04-24-2009 at 12:34 AM.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:48 AM

Exclamation Working playlists, even from SD card!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamin_Spirit View Post
I've tried the Jriver thing, and you must have an old version or something, because the one I downloaded doesn't do .pla playlists at all
Like you, I too tried J.River this morning, without any success. Nor could I get playlists to work via MediaMonkey or Cowon's own JetAudio. But after 5 hours of tearing my hair out trying to get playlists to work on my new D2+, I found this thread:

http://www.cowonamerica.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=12646

I tried out creating playlists as per the first post in this thread, and also tried playlists for music on the SD card as described in post #10 - it all works for me!!

One thing to note: The playlist creation is done using regular Windows Explorer, so close Windows Media Player before you connect your D2/D2+ to your PC, otherwise WMP may automatically start synching and mess things up ...as it did with mine!

Hope this helps anyone else out there who's having difficulty with playlists!

(Given the number of threads asking about playlists, should this be made sticky?)

Old 05-03-2009, 11:30 PM

That would be a great solution if my context menu (right click) had "create playlist" Yes my D2 is in MTP mode Yes I have WMP 11 No it is not open, neither is any other media program

ALTHOUGH I have heard people say the SYSTEM folder is un-viewable in MTP mode it's sitting right there on mine in windows explorer while in MTP mode... I remember when first connection my D2 in MTP mode it installed whatever driver necessary, and the "drive" was labeled "Cowon D2" but now it's just "D2"

I can live with the DPL that's already on the player (better than one of my old players, one could only have 25 items on a mini on the go playlist, and that playlist could not be saved) but I would like to have multiple.

Old 05-04-2009, 05:47 AM

Hmmm, that's a pity you don't see the create playlist option when you right-click. Did you right-click actually on an MP3 file, or on a directory name that contains audio files? If you right-click in any blank area it won't show this option.

Failing that, maybe your driver is out of date? I attach the details of the 2 relevant driver files on my PC, found via Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer Managment. (My PC runs under Windows XP SP3.)

One thing I've found though, through further experimentation - once you've created some playlists in MTP mode, you cannot switch back to MSC mode! I tried switching back to MSC to drag-and-drop more files, but the next time I switched on the Cowon it updated its internal database and all the playlists vanished. I even tried updating only the SD card by removing it, slotting it directly into my PC and adding files, and then putting it back in the Cowon (which had remained switched off the whole time). But again the playlists either were corrupted or went missing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MTP_driver1.jpg (182.7 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg MTP_driver2.jpg (179.0 KB, 4 views)