android
Old 01-14-2009, 10:11 AM

I have the same earphones and am very satisfied with them. Got them, after I lost (yeah - I literally LOST them ) my loved AKG K 324 Ps, but I think they are clones of the CX300s anyway. I use a custom EQ that I set to enhanced bass and (almost) full treble.

I think the CX300s offer a great sound .

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-14-2009, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zickZackMann View Post
I have the same earphones and am very satisfied with them. Got them, after I lost (yeah - I literally LOST them ) my loved AKG K 324 Ps, but I think they are clones of the CX300s anyway. I use a custom EQ that I set to enhanced bass and (almost) full treble.

I think the CX300s offer a great sound .
Cool, I'm glad someone else has a good experience of the combination. I use the Rock EQ preset, although I was initially impressed with the default one. I haven't decided between Rock and Jazz yet; sometimes Jazz seems to overdo the high end but it sounds great with certain tracks. I'll probably settle on Rock though.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 AM

I use the custom EQ, because I really didn't like any of the preset ones. I would recommend you, to play with the custom one a little too - it doesn't take long to find a good setting and can, as I experienced, really improve the sound a lot.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if youre an EQ n00b like myself, maybe my settings can serve you as a starting point. I use: 5, 0, 1, 5, 10. (maybe audiophiles will shake their heads now , don't know - but I really like this setting )

Last edited by zickZackMann; 01-14-2009 at 10:32 AM.

Old 01-14-2009, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zickZackMann View Post
I use the custom EQ, because I really didn't like any of the preset ones. I would recommend you, to play with the custom one a little too - it doesn't take long to find a good setting and can, as I experienced, really improve the sound a lot.

EDIT: Oh yeah, if youre an EQ n00b like myself, maybe my settings can serve you as a starting point. I use: 5, 0, 1, 5, 10. (maybe audiophiles will shake their heads now , don't know - but I really like this setting )
Hehe yes I was going to ask what you use. I've used EQ on my previous players, and I use it on PC media players, but I'm always slightly wary of it because of it cos it's not really 'hifi', plus I can never be bothered to experiment for hours trying every possible combination!

Having said that, I've been using 6, 4, 2, 7, 9. I will try your setting just to see!!

Old 01-14-2009, 12:36 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melat0nin View Post
Hehe yes I was going to ask what you use. I've used EQ on my previous players, and I use it on PC media players, but I'm always slightly wary of it because of it cos it's not really 'hifi', plus I can never be bothered to experiment for hours trying every possible combination!

Having said that, I've been using 6, 4, 2, 7, 9. I will try your setting just to see!!
Just be aware...if you use different headphones with the same player, you will be re-adjusting all the time, unless you can find a compromise. That said, the custom EQ of the Fuze and Clip is nowhere near as good as the one you'll find on your computer's media player, for example. So start off with "normal" and depending on your 'phones, you can figure out what you need to adjust. Baby steps is the key, IMO.Use it to compensate for whatever shortcomings a particular set of 'phones have. I only use the customEQ with 1 of my sets of 'phones. But everyone has different phones, and ears....so enjoy experimenting

Old 03-06-2009, 08:12 AM

Recently, I purchased a set of V-Moda Vibes from Amazon for $59 for use with my Fuze. Amazing earbuds. The soundstage is quite wide and detailed, sound isolation is reasonable (I use them at the gym with all the noise in the background), with no EQ, bass is tight but not over-powering, mids and highs are balanced and detailed. All in all, I thought they were an amazing deal for $60.

Old 03-06-2009, 03:16 PM

I really like these Phillips headphones. Decent sound, lightweight and comfortable. I can wear them for hours and even fall asleep while wearing them.

Old 04-09-2009, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melat0nin View Post
I am currently using some Senn CX300s with my new Fuze. I'm quite pleased with the sound, although I'm wondering if I can improve it further. Anyone know of any inexpensive IEMs which outperform the CX300s and don't cost a fortune? I noticed Senn have several models in the same price range, which is confusing to say the least.

Do you guys think the CX300s do the Fuze justice?
I got the same combination of you, and it is a step up I agree, but not optimal. Then again... you can only expect so much from non-premium headphones.

Old 04-18-2009, 05:09 AM

http://amazon.nuforce-icon.com/categ...e-Earphone.htm

NuForce NE-7 or NE-8, $59 and $69 respectively. I have the NE-7.

A review:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/r...5-09-a-383617/

"The best in-ear phones under $150."

I agree.

Last edited by hc2; 04-18-2009 at 05:17 AM.

Old 04-19-2009, 07:28 AM
Banned

I have some Head Direct RE2's and a Fiio E5 amp I use with my Fuze and the combo sounds great: very revealing, very good articulation and detail, smooth but tight and lean (especially bass), and the imaging and sound stage are excellent.

The RE2's I believe started off at $120, then went down to $80, now they are $40 and you can get them and the E5 ($22) together for $56 shipped (I recently did).

Here's a review of the RE2's :

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Head-Direct/RE2

And the RE2/E5 offer:

http://head-direct.com/product_detail.php?p=71

That's a pretty good deal that to me, at least, sounds very good, especially at this price level.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:04 AM

Just keep in mind that the majority of headphones will take several hours breaking-in. The mobile membrane should accomodate and loose it's stiffness so that the sound becomes enjoyable. These is even more significant when talking about small headphones. Some people buy them, plug them pristine, and expect to ear miracles. Just keep them connected at medium volume in some music player for two days or so and ear the difference.

My Pionner SE-CL21 did benefit from the breaking -in. They where rather dull when I bought them but now they play nicely!

Old 04-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mellowship View Post
Just keep in mind that the majority of headphones will take several hours breaking-in. The mobile membrane should accomodate and loose it's stiffness so that the sound becomes enjoyable. These is even more significant when talking about small headphones. Some people buy them, plug them pristine, and expect to ear miracles.
What's funny is that with the RE2's as soon as I plugged them in I was impressed. Then I hooked up the FiiO amp and wow!

As of now I probably only have 15 hours on them and I can't hear any real improvement (and yes I think burn in, with speakers/headphones at least, is a real phenomena). But there is no need for it, the combo is very nice.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Man View Post
What's funny is that with the RE2's as soon as I plugged them in I was impressed. Then I hooked up the FiiO amp and wow!

As of now I probably only have 15 hours on them and I can't hear any real improvement (and yes I think burn in, with speakers/headphones at least, is a real phenomena). But there is no need for it, the combo is very nice.
Indeed. Speakers/phones, phono headshells for turntables and termionic valves are influenced by use and differ in the time needed for burn in. Some of them are ready to rock out of the box. Others will show what they're capable only after several hours of intensive use.

Amplifiers, cables, digital and analogue sources just don't burn in. That's a hifi myth that should be utterly disclosed... Some hifi traders, when the custumer isn't satisfied with the product, say that it should take time to burn in for at least 300 hours (the typical burn in time for dummies). Then, if the customer relies, the legal time to send back the item passes and the poor buyer gets to stick with something which does not appeal to him.

Sorry about my English... I'm a continental European.

Old 04-28-2009, 04:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Indeed. Speakers/phones, phono headshells for turntables and termionic valves are influenced by use and differ in the time needed for burn in. Some of them are ready to rock out of the box. Others will show what they're capable only after several hours of intensive use.

Amplifiers, cables, digital and analogue sources just don't burn in. That's a hifi myth that should be utterly disclosed... Some hifi traders, when the custumer isn't satisfied with the product, say that it should take time to burn in for at least 300 hours (the typical burn in time for dummies). Then, if the customer relies, the legal time to send back the item passes and the poor buyer gets to stick with something which does not appeal to him.

Sorry about my English... I'm a continental European.
I agree. I bought my first external DAC back in Jan., a Blue Circle Audio Thingee, and the instant I hooked it up I was unimpressed. It was thin or hollow sounding with recessed mids and voices and sluggish. I told the seller this and got the "give it 300 hours of burn in before you make a final decision about it" line. It didn't change and I am stuck with a $200 piece of crap (although I do have to say that it does some things well, like micro detail in the treble and imaging, but what it doesn't do well ruins it).

I went on to buy a Cambridge DAC Magic, which, right away, sounded ten times better than the Thingee and which I am very pleased with. People claim it needs a few months of burn in itself to sound really good, but I haven't heard any difference in the month or so I've had it and it sounds great.

Your English is fine btw, better than many whose native language is English!

Old 04-29-2009, 01:09 PM

Hey, thanks!

Well, the micro detail and imaging are usually associated with components that have bad dynamics. I had the same experience with an Audio Analogue amplifier. An expansive piece of crap that I returned 14 days after I brought it from the dealer. It's hard to gather micro detail, macro detail, correct imaging, rithym and dynamics in one piece of electronic. But when it happens, it's priceless!

The CA DAC Magic has some nice reviews! Cambridge is an honest brand with good price/quality relation. I have a CA 540p phono preamp, bought if for about 80 usd and it rocks sweet!

Old 04-30-2009, 10:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Hey, thanks!

Well, the micro detail and imaging are usually associated with components that have bad dynamics. I had the same experience with an Audio Analogue amplifier. An expansive piece of crap that I returned 14 days after I brought it from the dealer. It's hard to gather micro detail, macro detail, correct imaging, rithym and dynamics in one piece of electronic. But when it happens, it's priceless!

The CA DAC Magic has some nice reviews! Cambridge is an honest brand with good price/quality relation. I have a CA 540p phono preamp, bought if for about 80 usd and it rocks sweet!
This thread is going OT, but I totally agree.

The "Thingee's" sound is exactly as you describe: great micro detail and imaging but bad dynamics. The thing wasn't "quick", it couldn't keep up with the music, it just plodded along. Totally undynamic. The instant I turned on the DAC Magic I knew it had "energy", tons over the Thingee. It is well paced, it keeps up with the music and even seems to drive it forward. Plenty of dynamics or "life".

I also have a Cambridge azur 640a v2 amp I got for cheap used and it sounds much the same as the DAC Magic. I'm satisfied with the combo, it sounds pretty damn good, smooth and detailed with articulate bass. I now enjoy listening to my music which I didn't before with the Thingee DAC.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:22 AM

I listen to my Fuze with several different phones and 2 sets of buds. If you want something that sounds good with the Fuze and don't want to spend much money, try the PRO 35A on ear phones from Radio Shack. Yeah, I know, Radio Shack, that purveyor of cheap, garbage hi-fi. But, fact is, once in a while they come up with a winner. Remember their portable CD player about 15 years ago that blew the doors off $2,000 home players? Anyway, I got my PRO 35A on sale for $20. They're actually quite good.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:14 PM

I love listening to FLAC on my Fuze with my SE530s ;o)

Altho your budget doesn't stretch to silly phone prices, you will be surprised by how much difference good earphones will make (in many ways they have more effect than the player itself).
I'm afraid I don't know what's good below $50 but one decision you often need to make with headphones is whether you prefer more emphasis on base vs mid-range or treble (ignoring EQ) and this will be influenced by your music.
Then I guess just carry on browsing all the reviews in your price bracket!

Good luck

Old 05-20-2009, 03:00 PM

I've owned these about a month now, and am very happy with them. Midrange, vocals & soundstage are quite natural sounding via my Rockboxed Sansa e-280 (hoping to get an 8GB Fuze this weekend). Plus it has an adjustable bass setting for those who want a bit mo' bottum.

http://focalprice.com/Genuine_Sound_...074B_6414.html

Old 08-17-2009, 03:35 PM

I bought the Sennheiser CX400 for my e250 from amazon for $30 shipped. But the e250 died. The sound was very good on the e250 and I am getting the Fuze delivered tomorrow.

Tags
earphones