android
Old 12-21-2008, 09:57 PM

Default Album Tag Problem + Low Volume

Hello, I recently purchased a 16gb D2. For the most part I'm thinking it was money well spent, but I am having a few annoying problems.

My first problem is a tagging problem. I have all of my CD's ripped to FLAC on my pc, I then convert the FLAC files to OGG vorbis for the D2. On some files the album tag does not display correctly and usually says something along the lines of "ARTIST=" in place of the tag. It seems to happen randomly, as most files are okay and in the right order.

I'm also having issues with the D2's output volume to my Sennheiser PX100 phones. I was under the impression that the D2 is a very loud player and that it could easily power most phones. These are 16 ohms, and with alot of my music, mostly the older releases that have not been affected by the loudness war, I have to crank the volume around 40 for decent levels.
Before I bought the D2 I was using a rockbox'd Sansa e250 2gb, and it seems to output at a equal or maybe slightly greater volume.

Very weird and disappointing.

I'm running (Was 3.57, to see if would correct any of these problems) FW 2.57.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-22-2008, 12:02 AM

I'm guessing that you used Jet Audio for the conversion? I saw the same problem with a handful of conversions that I ran through it too.

To solve this, after the files were converted to OGG I opened the directory in MP3Tag (google it. it will be your best friend), and converted from the Tag to Filename, and then converted back from Filename to Tag for all files, essentially re-setting all of the Tags.

I'm not 100% sure that this fixed everything, but I took the 6 albums that I just converted and re-tagged via MP3Tag and skipped randomly through about 20 files and none of them had the ALBUM= in their metadata anymore.

Personally, JetAudio seems like a decent tool (one of the better ones that I've seen come bundled with a player) but you're much better off using other free tools.

MP3Tag for mass-tagging, J.River Media Jukebox for file conversions, and AVIDemux for video conversions.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:29 AM

actually I used foobar2000 to convert, I guess it just tagged them differently. Thanks for the idea, I'll try that

Old 12-22-2008, 01:54 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Try Media Monkey, seems to work 99.9% of the time, and w/all audio codecs.

Old 12-22-2008, 02:49 AM

that seems to have solved the album tag, but alot of my tracks are showing up in the wrong order, I don't want to listen to an album with the tracks in the wrong order.

Man this D2 doesn't seem to be all it's hyped up to be

Old 12-22-2008, 05:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jab View Post

My first problem is a tagging problem. I have all of my CD's ripped to FLAC on my pc, I then convert the FLAC files to OGG vorbis for the D2. On some files the album tag does not display correctly and usually says something along the lines of "ARTIST=" in place of the tag. It seems to happen randomly, as most files are okay and in the right order.

First, this aren't problems but limitations of the decoders that the player uses... once known how it works you can you'll deal with it without troubles.

FLAC files... remove embedded cover art, this is not supported in D2 and is what produces this "artist=" issue... embedded cover art is not supported except for MP3 and WMA. Use any of the programs suggested... anyway is easier to work tagging with mp3tag (www.mp3tag.de/en).

OGG files... D2 use the format tt/TT for numbers of tracks where tt is the sequential number and TT is total of tracks. for an album of 12 tracks: 01/12, 02/12... 12/12. This is automatically managed by mp3tag. Supposedly this way of ordering will be changed in firmware x.58, if someday Cowon releases it.

Just remember that decoders of a PMP always have rules that can't be compared nor with PC programs nor with other PMP.

D2 brings the most powerful output for normal earphones... which you can prove with the bundled earphones. But if the earphones are of low or high impedances (I can recall... DFKT is the master in this matter) sound volume output is affected.

Last edited by DaremoS; 12-23-2008 at 07:05 PM.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:43 AM

My flac tags must have really messed up when they were converted to ogg comment. I've only gotten around half my music to show up in the right order on the d2.

Thanks DaremoS for telling the cause for the "ARTIST=" problem. That was very helpful.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:02 PM

Hi Guys. Im having the same problem regarding the ARTIST= tags. I have already browsed on other forums and they advised me to remove the embedded album art and also change the Album Artist tag to blank but neither of these have worked. Anyone else having this problem?

Old 04-23-2009, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeyfitzray View Post
Hi Guys. Im having the same problem regarding the ARTIST= tags. I have already browsed on other forums and they advised me to remove the embedded album art and also change the Album Artist tag to blank but neither of these have worked. Anyone else having this problem?
Are you using MediaMonkey?

You don't have to change anything in your FLAC Tag, ie not remove anything in Album Artist.
Just keep your tag with the info that you need.
You just need to remove cover art using mp3tag (www.mp3tag.de/en) and reinstall it using the same tool.
There is a problem with cover art embedded in Tag by MediaMonkey and maybe other media managers.
Read this topic.

Old 04-23-2009, 02:59 PM

I used Media Monkey and MP3Tag to remove the embedded album art. There is now no embedded album art in the files. Instead I have the jpg's in the album folders named as cover.jpg.

The whole removing Album Artist thing was a solution that worked for another user on an iAudio.net forum. I should point out the

Even with all this done I am still having the same problems.