android
Old 08-24-2007, 09:25 AM

Default Using the TV-out: screen of the D2 <> TV

the last week I have been using the tv-out option a lot, it is actually quite good given the fact it is only 320*240 (and my tv is a JVS 32" 1366 x 768). I have 2 questions:
> Is it possible to store 640*480 files on the D2 and not play them on the D2 but only on the TV out?? This would make the D2 the ultimate player!
> I converted 2 movies to the D2 using Jetaudio. One movie is a full screen movie on the D2: it plays full screen on my tv using tv-out. One movie is a widescreen broadcast (with the black bars under and above on the D2). Playing this on my TV using tv-out results different on my tv: on the bottom I have no black bar and I have a huge black bar on top (almost half of the screen).. the picture looks normal but not centered on my TV. Is it the jetaudio converter or something else??
I love the player, I dont know why I waited so long for buying this!
cheers,
Bram

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 04-17-2009, 02:56 AM

I have the same issue.

is there a solution to the problem mentioned with the widescreen movies. i use NTSC mode.

if i use PAL then there is a annoying green bar on top of the sceen.

TV is a sony 21'' crt type it accepts both NTSC and PAL.

Old 04-17-2009, 08:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bram_manck View Post
the last week I have been using the tv-out option a lot, it is actually quite good given the fact it is only 320*240 (and my tv is a JVS 32" 1366 x 768). I have 2 questions:
> Is it possible to store 640*480 files on the D2 and not play them on the D2 but only on the TV out?? This would make the D2 the ultimate player!
> I converted 2 movies to the D2 using Jetaudio. One movie is a full screen movie on the D2: it plays full screen on my tv using tv-out. One movie is a widescreen broadcast (with the black bars under and above on the D2). Playing this on my TV using tv-out results different on my tv: on the bottom I have no black bar and I have a huge black bar on top (almost half of the screen).. the picture looks normal but not centered on my TV. Is it the jetaudio converter or something else??
I love the player, I dont know why I waited so long for buying this!
cheers,
Bram
What you are asking is available in O2 but unfortunately is not in D2.

TV-OUT menu option is only available if you play the file. To play a file is required to convert it into one of the formats managed by D2 with the limitation of 320x240.

This is available in O2 (an many cheap Chinese players) since the latest chipset are capable of play a movie doing the conversion on the fly.
In O2 thanks to HP DaVinci chipset and in the Chinese players thanks to Rockchip RK27xx. Both play movies without conversion.

What I don't know if this capability is due to a decoder, which is a software, or due to a chipset capability, which is a hardware. Or due to both as conversion on the fly requires lots of power.

If it were a software we can dream about the inclusion of it in future firmwares for D2+ (running in a D2 legacy ). Chipset of D2/D2+ has enough power to do the task.

What it have been more difficult to understand why Cowon havent added FLV as decoder specially if in almost all cheap player is available... and is for the moment one of the most used formats due to YouTube (but this is other story).

Old 04-17-2009, 10:20 PM

DaremoS are u saying that the video not getting centered on TV with wide screen format is a hardware problem?

my problem is not to play high resolution videos in Tv. 320 x240 resolution is fine with me. but i would like the display to be centered on TV.

Old 04-17-2009, 11:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivakrdy View Post
DaremoS are u saying that the video not getting centered on TV with wide screen format is a hardware problem?

my problem is not to play high resolution videos in Tv. 320 x240 resolution is fine with me. but i would like the display to be centered on TV.
Nope... there is no relation in what I said with wrongly centred displaying. In fact display appears more pixelated while TV screen is bigger.... but all the time filling the whole screen.

That of no centred display seems to me as a TV problem instead of limitations imposed by D2. I mean proper TV adjustments.

My tests have always be correctly centred. In this point I would like to know bram_manck experiences.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:26 AM

The display setting I have on my D2 (currently D2+ 2.02) set to NTSC and using Jetaudio in the Options I have Crop-mode on and have the 'resize' checked. This should do the trick of having TV out centered on the screen.

Old 04-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Banned

Indeed in my answer I skip some important facts:
Centering of image includes also some well done conversion... this in order to have the desired picture: some user do like strips above and below the image, some other cropping of borders and the weirdest prefer enlarged images to fit 16:9 into 4:3.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bram_manck View Post
The display setting I have on my D2 (currently D2+ 2.02) set to NTSC and using Jetaudio in the Options I have Crop-mode on and have the 'resize' checked. This should do the trick of having TV out centered on the screen.
thanks. will try that

Old 04-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivakrdy View Post
thanks. will try that
Today I found a demonstration of what happens when conversion of movie have some troubles that end up in non-centered image.
Normally the conversion have to be 320x240... the clip that I load in my D2 was of 320x180 to fill a relation of 16:9.
This must be done adding trips above and below in the converter. In wasn't so in the example.

This clip plays fine in D2... but... appears clearly non-centered in TV leaving both black strips together above in the screen... try this clip from here and you'll see what was wrong. take the clip from here it's called Animusic.

EDIT... In the same page there is other clip properly encoded "Eric Prydz" that appear perfectly centered in the TV. (and the girls are cool )

Last edited by DaremoS; 04-20-2009 at 01:40 PM.