android
Old 03-29-2009, 09:18 AM

Default Does anyone else have Rockbox Database issues?

About the only thing that seems to work in my rockboxxed e260 database is the artist search. If I try to play songs by genre I get seriously inadequate results....Like I've got to have at least 400 songs classified as simply rock. But if I try to play rock tracks and eliminate the softer stuff during my workouts, I get a selection of maybe 20 songs. Same goes for metal, alternative rock etc.

I tried working around this by separating my files into three differently labled folders on my microSD card [8gb]...but when I go in through the file menu, it shows the sub menus, but will not let me access the sub menus to use as a playlist like I'd hoped.

If not for the sound leveling feature, the larger SD card support, and faster boot ups, I think I'd be happier with the OF.

Any ideas??? I ran the rockbox utility to install the latest firmware within the last two weeks, so this should be current...or close.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-29-2009, 10:28 AM
Administrator

I found out the hard way that the Rockbox database reads tags not folder information.

I spent some time using Mp3Tag to clean up and rewrite my tags. Did it right on the player as a matter of fact. It has a mass tag function that let me group tags to create easy, custom playlists on the fly. Used the 'Initialize Now' menu option and things were sorted the way I wanted in the first place.

Between sorting songs and creating playlists on the player I was ready to chuck it all too. Reading the manual first would have saved me a lot of head scratching , frustration , and quarters in the swear jar !

Old 03-29-2009, 10:34 AM

The genre selection seems to work fine for me.
Did you update your database after putting the songs on the player, or enabled auto update?
The file and folder browsing should work also. In the context menu just select "Playlist" and the "Insert", or "Insert Shuffled". If you have no playlist running, this will create a playlist with all the songs of the folder which you selected.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:17 PM

I'll try that playlist in the context menu sometime and see if I can insert one of those subfolders from my microSD card.

I have initialized and Updated the database...it finds tracks just fine under the artist search, just not the genre tags I'd like to use for convenience sake. I've avoided trying to use the playlist creator for individual songs, because I don't want to do it on the player one song at a time...Wish someone would have created a program for easy drag and drop playlist creation in rockbox. Maybe that's something that will be more feasible with Rockbox finally getting the USB support I glanced over this morning.

Normally I'm fine with shuffle all; but I've got way too much easy listening and country on my player to be constantly skipping songs while I'm trying to complete my workout in the gym.

For some reason, the O.F. recognized my song tags just fine and when I'd group or create playlists by genre, I'd get a huge selection...don't know why my RB is not the same.

Thanks for trying to help guys.

Old 03-29-2009, 09:53 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaHag View Post
I have initialized and Updated the database...it finds tracks just fine under the artist search, just not the genre tags I'd like to use for convenience sake.
Are your files properly tagged with the genre tags you want? It doesn't sound like it. Or do you mean the tags show up correctly in some other software but not in Rockbox?

Quote:
I've avoided trying to use the playlist creator for individual songs, because I don't want to do it on the player one song at a time...Wish someone would have created a program for easy drag and drop playlist creation in rockbox. Maybe that's something that will be more feasible with Rockbox finally getting the USB support I glanced over this morning.
You can't drag and drop in Rockbox since theres no mouse, and adding USB support doesn't change that. You can however add folders and files to play lists in rockbox.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:02 AM

90% of my files are ripped right from the CD's...so the tags should be correct...certainly better than the handful of results I get under typical genre tags like Rock and Classic Rock.

As I said, in the original firmware, I got better results with the genre search. I'll familiarize myself with that playlist feature and just drop in folders I know to be heavy like Metallica, ACDC, Iron Maiden and I should be able to put together a decent workout playlist...which is really the only time I've had any issues.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:13 AM

I just had a thought, would it matter what order the Id3 tags put the information in?

I know I set up my WMP11 to rip the songs with the tag info in this order: Artist-song-album-genre-bit rate-track #

Old 03-30-2009, 09:50 AM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Quote:
90% of my files are ripped right from the CD's...so the tags should be correct...certainly better than the handful of results I get under typical genre tags like Rock and Classic Rock.
Find a file where the genres don't match and then report it as a bug.