android
Old 11-07-2008, 02:08 PM

Default Official Sony silcone case vs generic

[Re: Sony a729]
Does anyone know if they differ much in quality? The price difference sure is big. Also, for the generic ones, if they are indeed good enough, can someone recommend a brand (or ebay seller) that sells a good one? There are a couple of options, but I can't tell which is good or not. By the way I have a a729.

frimframsauce, thank you for the excellent advice on screen protectors. I will definitely be getting one from bestskinsever.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-07-2008, 03:41 PM

i don't know. It's expensive for me atm to buy a silicon case from sony
I solved the protective case with this

It's a case for a digital camera =p but it guards the player smoothly. I don't wanna hang that baby around my neck yet just to showoff

As for the protective layer for the screen, since i don't wanna order online now or anything, I've found two offer at my country. First one is protective layer for Creative Zen players: 3 sheets 2,5˝ diagonal

the second offer i dug up is a protective layer for LCD, 17˝ diagonal, comes with additional equipment for applying. With this one I can make layers for my 2˝ screen when necesary =)

Old 11-07-2008, 05:21 PM

You reminded me...I have a nice little case logic case that I got 8 years ago for my Rio. It would be perfect.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:10 PM

i use the generic.
fits perfect. silicon molding is not exactly high tech yes even the buttons and everything conform perfectly
no reason to get the sony version. the one i saw in the store doesn't even have an arm band, or the slits needed to use one. probably get 3 for the price of a branded sony. mine came with an armband as well. better than using a digital camera case. your controls are accessable.
best thing is it covers the controls so even with dirty hands you can access the player without worry. i even got house paint on it...and yea it just peeled off when it dried.

bit of the ol copy paste

http://www.meritline.com/sony-walkman.html

silicon cases from there are about 7 bucks shipped. theres a 20% off coupon code. comes with arm band and clip. clip is frankly useless but they are in general, the armband and case are what matters. the fit is basically perfect. even for the volume control on the side. shipped in about 3 days to me.

i got a black and a clear one for my black walkman, i think i prefer the black one because it sorta is nondescript and the white clear one while it lets you see the button labels looks a bit odd on it in my opinion. its just a preference thing.

the best screen protector to use would be the bestskinsever.com do it yourself sheet. under 10 bucks shipped and you got plenty left to protect other things. just cut out a piece bit enough for the screen, it doesn't have to be that exact since the edges are covered by the silicon case. i used a sheet of paper to pencil rub a stencil to get a good fit. its the same material as the invisible shield which is much hyped as either helicopter blade protector film or bumper paint guard for fancy cars depending on who's marketing department you trust. either way it goes on clear and is nearly indestructible..and doesn't peel off easy. its not like the cheap films, this stuff goes on with a bit of spray water. check out some invisible shield videos on youtube if you want to see torture tests or how to put it on right. theres a good one of some guy putting it on an ipod. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7n0jQWCSfA

if you damage the film you probably smashed the device anyways nayways the combination of silicon skin+this film makes it rather well protected. you don't have to worry about it in your pocket.

the fluids just water with a small drop of soap mixed in and then allowed to sit until bubbles go away really. use a cheap spray bottle.
any bubbles or small imperfections you couldn't get out during install disappear slowly over a week..its gas permeable. after that its pretty sweet.

screen protector films from big box stores tend to be more saran wrappy static clingy junk. its neither got a perfect contact or securely stuck on or very strong. not good stuff.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:36 PM

Thanks frimfram. I will be using your suggestions.

Old 11-08-2008, 12:19 PM

I bought the Sony brand at Best Buy and it was $19.95. I then go to the Sony shop 2 days later and see they sell it for $9.99. So I bought the one at Sony as well and then went to Best Buy and returned it.

Sony NWZ-A728B, Sony NWZ-A816, iPod Shuffle 1GB

Old 11-08-2008, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frimframsauce View Post
i use the generic.
fits perfect. silicon molding is not exactly high tech yes even the buttons and everything conform perfectly
no reason to get the sony version. the one i saw in the store doesn't even have an arm band, or the slits needed to use one. probably get 3 for the price of a branded sony. mine came with an armband as well. better than using a digital camera case. your controls are accessable.
best thing is it covers the controls so even with dirty hands you can access the player without worry. i even got house paint on it...and yea it just peeled off when it dried.
I don't see one that could fit the new NWZ-E436. It rather slimer than the other series, and choosing a black case limits the options =)
Cool that it comes with an armband....

Old 11-08-2008, 05:28 PM

well the 436 is rather new, i guess they just are a little behind on it.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:07 PM

frimfram, I ordered the DIY screen protector from bestskinsever. However, all the silicone cases from Meritline are out of stock. Is there another skin that you can recommend that comes with the armband and everything? Thanks.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:08 PM

sorry, i don't know, i only shopped from that site.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:59 AM

I just put the screen protector on. It's pretty cool. That's one tough piece of plastic. I would have never thought that something that tough would be able to go on so transparently. You can't even see it. All the other screen protectors I've seen, even if they stick well, are very thin.

Old 01-30-2009, 07:49 PM

yup since i've got it i've had the player in my pocket against keys and everything almost daily.
still no damage.

its impressive..and freeing not having to baby electronics.

Old 03-17-2009, 05:58 PM

lol this threads still around.

still no scratches...the screen film does its job

Tags
a729, case, generic, silcone, sony