android
Old 02-12-2009, 07:53 AM

Angry (Another) D2 Playlist thread - nothing works!

I'm a new D2 owner - love the player, but can't stand the lack of playlist support. I wouldn't mind if there was a long-winded way of getting playlists to work, but so far everything I've tried has not worked.

I did all my reading, and tried methods based on a number of threads in this forum and others (this one in particular) - all to no avail!

Okay, so some information. My 16gb D2 has 2.57 firmware on it, and no SD card yet. My PC is running windows XP with service pack 3, with Windows Media Player 11 on it.

The first thing I tried was to connect the D2 in MTP mode, navigate to the device in windows explorer, and right click over the music folder. Unlike others, I do not see a "Create Playlist" option.

Next I installed media monkey (latest version - 3.4 I think) and tried synching playlists i created there - but they came across to the player in .m3u format. Try as I might, I could not get it to create .pla files. I installed with files from windows media player 10 (the Windows Media Forman redistribution - these files), and re-instaleld media monkey, but still no .pla files.

I then tried installing some .pla export scripts into media monkey: this succeeeded in giving me an option to "export all playlists to .pla". I now had .pla files on my pc, but they would not show up in media monkey in order to be synched across to my device.

Next I tried the latest Winamp (5.4?) and again it would only create .m3u playlists.

Finally I tried synching using WMP 11 (notice how I left this one till last? ). Same deal: I cannot get .pla files to be created.

Basically, I'm at my wit's end here, because I love the player but really cannot live without a couple of playlists on the player. It's frustrating that I've tried things that seem to have worked for others (such as installing WMP11), and it just has not worked for me.

So - any ideas?!?! Anything???

I'm on the verge of trying to installRockBox on the D2, purely for the .m3u support. I'm a bit reluctant to try this, as the rockbox for the d2 is in an incomplete and buggy state as far as I can tell, and it is not explicity stated anywhere that .m3u support works on the D2. Can anyone who has tried this confirm?

Thanks all!

Oh, and hi!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-23-2009, 12:55 PM

I guess the answer to that is a resounding "No!"

still no idea why I can't get playlist support by using WMP11 like others have - it is frustrating!

I have, however, managed to install Rockbox on the D2, and that does at least have M3U support. Volunteers can get M3u working on the D2 in their spare time, but Cowon can't do it themselves!? That's pretty shoddy in my book!

Rockbox on the D2 is very much experimental, with random error messages popping up, and not-very-intuitive controls (no support for using buttons when in hold, either), but it does M3u's. Also, you can switch between using Rockbox or using the Cowon interface, so you can choose whichever you want!

Old 02-23-2009, 01:09 PM
Ultra Senior Member

First, update the D2 to the latest firmware (2.59): http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard...&bmenu=support

Second, use the Panasonic Formatting Tool listed in this thread: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26764

Now, try to use playlists on the player w/either MM, WinAmp, or my fav J.River Media Jukebox (free version): http://www.mediajukebox.com/

J.River is what I personally use for playlists, and I've never had a problem w/it.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:31 PM

Help A question and two problems????

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
First, update the D2 to the latest firmware (2.59): http://www.cowonglobal.com/zeroboard...&bmenu=support

Second, use the Panasonic Formatting Tool listed in this thread: http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26764

Now, try to use playlists on the player w/either MM, WinAmp, or my fav J.River Media Jukebox (free version): http://www.mediajukebox.com/

J.River is what I personally use for playlists, and I've never had a problem w/it.
Hi there DarkSide, I just got my D2 4gig with a Kingmax 8gig SD card a week ago and like everyone else I am a little frustrated.

A question if you don't mind, are you able to put playlists on your SD card with J.River or for that matter anyother software? I have tried I think all of the mentioned software and it seems that I am narrowing it down to J.River.

Problem:1
When I tried to run WinAmp both at home and my office computer(I might add I am not supposed to load software...hehe) but on both home and office when WinAmp sees the D2 it then dumps out of Winamp and closes it.

Problem:2
I have also installed Mediamonkey but it does not see my SD card. I might add here that I followed the great tutorial Guide to D2 music management with Mediamonkey 3.0 on another thread but still can't get Mediamonkey to see my SD card. J.River and Microsoft Media Player 11 have no probles seeing the SD card.

So DarkSide any thoughts or for that matter anyone else have an answer to my above question and also some thoughts on the two problems I am having above.

Thanks for the already great help and info that I have already read in the other posts.
Tommy

Old 03-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Ultra Senior Member

1. Winamp is a prog I have never used w/the D2, so I can't help w/that 1.

2. Media Monkey has never spotted my sd card, so I use J.River for the dirty work.

As for using playlists off of the sd card itself, I haven't really been able to get it to work, and only 1 person has ever claimed to do so. Seems to be something Cowon never really bothered to implement (and the 3.XX Korean firmware is ONLY msc, so they really only care for drag & drop).

Old 03-06-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
1. Winamp is a prog I have never used w/the D2, so I can't help w/that 1.

2. Media Monkey has never spotted my sd card, so I use J.River for the dirty work.

As for using playlists off of the sd card itself, I haven't really been able to get it to work, and only 1 person has ever claimed to do so. Seems to be something Cowon never really bothered to implement (and the 3.XX Korean firmware is ONLY msc, so they really only care for drag & drop).
Thanks muchly and as much as I like my D2, I am starting to wonder if I should consider returning it and getting something else. Unfortunately I know nothing about these MP3 players, so I don't know what would be better. I want to use it to put my listening Mp3 songs on the SD 8gig and use the Internal memory 4gigs for playing back up mp3's while playing guitar. So really if the D2 worked the other way around meaning Playlists on the SD not the Internal, if you get my meaning. The D2 did impress me at first but maybe I should have done more investigating since like I mentioned I know nothing about these players.

Any thoughts here or is the D2 the best for the price range?
Thanks again
Tommy

Old 03-06-2009, 07:07 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyJay View Post
Any thoughts here or is the D2 the best for the price range?
Thanks again
Tommy
Lol, I can't answer this question, as I'm biased towards the D2. I love it, even w/it's limitations, there is no other player that has such excellent SQ. Only Sony is on par, and the recording feature you need isn't 1 they have.

I've had 3 Sony dap's, and the D2 is the 1 I keep (well, my S618 bonked on me!!!). I will honestly say that Cowon has made a believer of me. Try the D2 w/a better set of headphone's/iem's and you'll see what I mean. Just sorry the playlist thing may be a deal breaker for you.

Old 03-06-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Just sorry the playlist thing may be a deal breaker for you.
Well thanks again. As for the playlist, who knows with the next fireware eh....lol I am still playing and reading the forums because isn't it the forums were the real info and truth comes from.

Tommy

Tags
d2, m3u, pla, playlist, rockbox