android
Old 02-28-2009, 01:49 AM

Unhappy Unable to connect to Vista

Yes, I know there have been threads like this before, but I still haven't found a solution.
While some have had their P2's work for a while, then disappear, I purchased my P2 only a few days ago, and have yet to establish a connection to my Vista laptop. Device Manager gives me the "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" every time I try uninstalling/re-installing the driver.
-I've tried different usb ports
-I've tried connecting with and without emodio installed
-I've tried updating the driver (always tells me MTP device is working)
-I know system restore won't work, because there never was a time I was able to connect
-I've tried nearly every suggestion I've been able to find in this forum on this topic
Nothing has worked so far. I've spent 6 hours now trying everything I can think of and searching the net for solutions. Samsung's web site is no help whatsoever. I humbly request anyone who's had a similar experience to share their solutions/suggestions. It's a wicked little piece of tech, I'd rather not have to return it just because my idiot Vista machine can't figure out how to use it! Thank you

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-28-2009, 10:10 AM

I have both XP and Vista machines and both recognize my P2 which is setup as UMS device. I only had my P2 set to MTP for about 5 mins before I changed it.

EModio and WMP will still work fine in UMS mode so u could try downgrading the firmware so u can change it from MTP to UMS.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=25784
Apple iPod Touch 32gb (sigh) w/Fiio E1

Old 02-28-2009, 12:22 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have access to an XP machine to change it.
Besides, why would Samsung release a product to market in a state that doesn't work right out of the box? I shouldn't have to monkey around with transfer protocol settings for days before I get it to work, there must be something in my Vista machine that's spontaneously bugged out or something, others have gotten their P2's to connect to Vista right away without having to switch to UMS.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:35 PM
Ultra Senior Member

My P2 worked fine out-of-the-box on my Vista PC, so Samsung isn't where your problem lies. Do you have Window's Media Center 11? If you are using an old version, downloading and installing the newest one may bring with it the MTP driver needed.

You should also go into your device settings and make sure your USB ports are functioning properly.

Then see if your P2 when plugged in shows up under "Computer" as P2 or some unnamed device that is not there when the P2 is unplugged.

Just keep trying different things. 99.9% of the P2 owners with problems posted here seems to eventually get them sorted out.

Olley

Old 02-28-2009, 05:58 PM

I've already got Media Player 11 and my usb ports are working just fine.
When I plug it in, Windows knows its there, device manager even knows it's a P2, it just wont start the thing. The P2's screen tells me it's usb connected, but device manager tells me "This device cannot start. (Code 10)". I doesn't show up as any kind of device in My Computer (unknown or otherwise), and no software can find it. The only interaction I can get is device manager telling me it can't start it.
I've been googling this code 10 and many other vista users have been having similar problems with other devices as well, but I have yet to find a fix beyond "get an XP machine" (which I am tempted to do right now)

Old 02-28-2009, 07:03 PM

you could download easeus partition manager, make a new partition, download an xp pro torrent, install xp on the new partition and run your p2 from the new partition. should be your last option though.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:30 PM

It sounds to me like this is something in your laptop's Vista configuration. I agree, you shouldn't have to change to P2 to UMS to have it work with your computer. My hunch is that the problem is in your computer and not in the P2.

There's a laptop computer forum on compuserve that might be of help to you. Some very knowledgeable Windows people there -- who might know how to deal with code 10 or be able to find out.

Here's a link to the forum: http://community.compuserve.com/n/pf...top&redirCnt=1

I would recommend you get a screen name and join the forum, though you can read and search it as a guest. The topics are divided into different sections -- you would probably want to post your question under Folder 10 "All Windows Questions." Some of the techs on the forum are extremely knowledgeable on Windows issues, including Vista. You might give it a try.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:42 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaldyn_Atreides View Post
Yes, I know there have been threads like this before, but I still haven't found a solution.
While some have had their P2's work for a while, then disappear, I purchased my P2 only a few days ago, and have yet to establish a connection to my Vista laptop. Device Manager gives me the "This device cannot start. (Code 10)" every time I try uninstalling/re-installing the driver.
-I've tried different usb ports
-I've tried connecting with and without emodio installed
-I've tried updating the driver (always tells me MTP device is working)
-I know system restore won't work, because there never was a time I was able to connect
-I've tried nearly every suggestion I've been able to find in this forum on this topic
Nothing has worked so far. I've spent 6 hours now trying everything I can think of and searching the net for solutions. Samsung's web site is no help whatsoever. I humbly request anyone who's had a similar experience to share their solutions/suggestions. It's a wicked little piece of tech, I'd rather not have to return it just because my idiot Vista machine can't figure out how to use it! Thank you
Maybe its just the OS loading wrong drivers or bad usb controller chip. It has happen to me before.

So try this:

1. download Puppy Linux 4.1.2 - http://www.puppylinux.org/downloads/...uppy-linux-412
2. Burn image with Imgburn - http://www.imgburn.com or/index.php?act=download or Boot Usb http://www.pendrivelinux.com/using-u...ive-usb-linux/
3. reboot enter into bios (F2,Del,Etc...)
4. navigate to bootup sequence or startup options put either cd-rom or usb to boot.
5. save setting and exit
6. puppy setup very easy full OS very fast for ISO Size: 94MB
7. once you see the desktop plugin your P2
8. you will see a new device icon on your desktop click in to it once that should work

Now if that doesnt work maybe a chipset gone wrong. process of elimination will confirm so. windows works on drivers and linux works on kernel updates

hope this helps

Geforce 7300 SE/7200 GS
Sata 0 - 300gb maxtor, Sata 1 - Philips dvd-burner 20x, Ide - 10gb maxtor....lmao

Old 03-05-2009, 06:25 PM

allright dont listen to any of the stuff others had to say. i had this problem also. i have a samsung p2 and i am runnin vista home premium. it would say error code 10. and wouldnt show up under my comp. i searched for hours heres the solution.

Net localgroup Administrators localservice /add

type that into your command prompt and it fixes it. no kidding would not lie. i thought it would mess up my computer but it didnt. if it keeps saying access is denied make sure you are signed in an administrative account and right click the command prompt icon and press luanch as administrator .

Tags
code 10, mtp, p2, vista