android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Other Brands

Old 01-21-2009, 06:40 PM

Default Ever wondered what a Rio Nitrus looks like inside?

Well wonder no more. My old Rio Nitrus has a failing battery for sure, and a possible failing hard drive (the infamous "Click of Death"). So, I figured I did't have much to lose by opening it up to see how practical replacing the battery and hard drive are. I took pictures to share with the rest of the crew on ABI.

There's one screw holding the back on, and it takes either a very small Torx bit or spline type Allen wrench. The clips that hold the back to the front will release very easily, but the glue that is between the back of the case and the support for the hard drive is a different story. Slowly prying and working the glue loose does the trick. Then it's just the matter of two more Philips head screws and it all comes apart. The hard drive connects to the board with a ZIF connector, the battery has a plug connector as well. I was surprised that it wasn't soldered. The battery is stuck to a rubber pad with a thermistor sandwiched between them, and the other side of the pad is stuck to the board. I think the system chip is under the pad. I understand from some reading elsewhere on the 'net that the Nitrus is a Simtel 35xx based player.

The battery would be a cinch to replace, and I've found them available several places. The hard drive is another story. It's a Cornice drive, and so far I haven't located a source for either the original 1.5GB or hopefully a 4GB intended for a Carbon.

Anyways, I got it apart, and back together, and it still works as well as it did before I took it apart.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nitrus1.jpg (128.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg Nitrus2.jpg (77.9 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg Nitrus3.jpg (98.2 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg Nitrus4.jpg (119.5 KB, 23 views)

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-21-2009, 08:23 PM

Wow, what a trip down memory lane...

Seems like such a long time ago that Rio pretty much ruled the roost.
The thought now, of a 1.5GB hard drive is almost incomprehensible.

Thanks for the pics, fascinating stuff...

Last edited by Utew; 01-24-2009 at 09:30 PM.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Throw a 16 or 32gb cf card in that sucka', that would be the hotness!!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Throw a 16 or 32gb cf card in that sucka', that would be the hotness!!!!
I wish! If it had a CF interface that would be awesome. The SQ on the thing is great, I'd compare it to the Clip/Fuze. It still plays, but the battery doesn't last long, and the last time I transferred files to it, one of them failed and the transfer went much slower. I picked it up and put it to my ear and heard a distinct "clicking", much like what a PC hard drive does, but at a much higher pitch. Later on I tried again, and the transfer speed was normal and the drive wasn't clicking. I've found a couple of sources for a replacement battery, but none for a hard drive. 2 years ago, Cornice supposedly had a 12GB version of the drive, but so far I can't track down any drives of any capacity. I'm afraid it isn't going to be worth repairing.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utew View Post
Wow, what a trip down memory lane...

Seems like such a long time ago that Rio pretty much ruled the roost.
The thought now, of a 1.5GB hard drive is almost incomprehensible.

Thanks for the pics, fascinating stuff...
Yea, 1.5GB is nothing these days, but it was huge compared to the flash-based players of the day. It cost me nearly $300, more than my Zune 120. If the Zune was the same cost per GB, it would have cost as much as my truck.

Old 03-05-2009, 02:08 AM

This brings back a lot of memories! The Rio Nitrus was the first MP3 player I've ever owned. I think I still have it somewhere. A lot of dust has collected between the case and the LCD screen, but now I'm thinking about taking it apart and giving it a good cleaning.

Please update the post if you find a replacement drive. I'd love to be able to upgrade the thing to a 4 GB as well, possibly tinker with the firmware a little bit too and give it to a friend as a (geeky) gift.