android
Old 02-28-2009, 07:47 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Can't load Rockbox: File not found error

i have the beta firmware, and i got a microSDHC card, not knowing that my e260 can't read it. so i'm trying to download rockbox. i have no clue what i did, but now when i turn it on, it shows the lil' monsta image and then flashes the rockbox image. then it cuts to a screen that says:
"Rockbox boot loader
Version: r20108-090226
SanDisk Sansa e200 series
Partition 0: 0x0B 3814 MB
partition 1: 0x84 20 MB
Loading Rockbox...
Can't load rockbox.mi4:
File not found
Can't load rockbox.e200:
File not found"
then it shuts down. can anyone help me?

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-28-2009, 09:21 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

You've got the bootloader installed but not rockbox. What instructions were you following, what software did you use, and what operating system are you running?

Old 02-28-2009, 10:19 PM
Ultra Senior Member

i'm running on windows XP and i'm not sure that's what it is because when i use the rockbox utility (rbutilqt) and say "install bootloader" it says in the progress window:
"Searching for Sansa e200
No Sansa e200 found at drive F:\"
But if i tell it to install rockbox, it finishes the command completely. Unfortunately, i have no clue what i did, but in my attempts to figure this out on my own, i managed to brick the whole thing. when i hit the power button, it lights up the thumbwheel, but the screen remains black. Same for when i try to start recovery mode.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinburger1109 View Post
i'm running on windows XP and i'm not sure that's what it is because ...
by the "that's what it is" i mean i'm not sure that i have the bootloader and not rockbox installed. sorry for my lack of clarity.

Old 02-28-2009, 10:41 PM

Quote:
by the "that's what it is" i mean i'm not sure that i have the bootloader and not rockbox installed. sorry for my lack of clarity.
Fortunately, I am sure of it. All you have to do is boot into the original firmware and install rockbox and then it will work normally. Hold left as it powers up.

Also, it would be helpful if you'd answer my other questions:

Quote:
What instructions were you following, what software did you use, and what operating system are you running?
So you're using XP and rbutil. But what version? And what instructions?

edit:
Quote:
Unfortunately, i have no clue what i did, but in my attempts to figure this out on my own, i managed to brick the whole thing. when i hit the power button, it lights up the thumbwheel, but the screen remains black. Same for when i try to start recovery mode.
Well I have a pretty good idea. You probably went into recovery mode for some reason and trashed your firmware. Does that sound about right?

Old 03-01-2009, 09:10 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Probably. Do you know if there is any way that i can save my e260, or is it completely broken beyond the point of repair?

Also, it was rockbox version 3.1 and i was following the instructions in the downloadable pdf file.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Probably.
What do you mean probably? Did you go into recovery mode and copy something over or not? What you need to do next depends on what you broke.

Quote:
Probably.
Do you know if there is any way that i can save my e260, or is it completely broken beyond the point of repair?
You can always fix an e200, but it becomes much more difficult as you break it worse and worse. Depending on what you did, you'll either need to boot into recovery mode and upload a new firmware, or boot into manufacturing mode and use e200tool:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...nsaE200Unbrick

Quote:
Also, it was rockbox version 3.1 and i was following the instructions in the downloadable pdf file.
Are you sure? The bootloader you have installed in your first post is not the one installed by rbutil as far as I know. I'm pretty sure theres no way the instructions in the manual could have done what you've done.

So to be clear: you used the install directions in the PDF, downloaded the version of rbutil linked from those directions (and not some other version, and definitely not a program called "sansapatcher")? And you did not follow the instructions from here to install an experimental bootloader?

I'm trying to figure out how you managed to get your sansa into that state in the first place. It would be helpful if you could give me detailed answers here.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Again, sorry for a lack of clarity in my replies. I downloaded the rockbox utility from rockbox.org. I used that to install rockbox. after that did absolutely nothing, I tried the manual install from the pdf file. i extracted it to my mp3 player while it was in recovery mode. and yes, then i used the sansapatcher, but it said:

[ERR] No E200s or C200s found, aborting.
[ERR] Please connect your sansa and ensure that it is in UMS mode
[ERR] Please refer to the Rockbox manual if you continue to have problems.
Press ENTER to exit sansapatcher :

At that point, i thought that i needed to revert back to an older firmware, and that the Beta was not compatible with Rockbox. I now know that I was wrong, but I downloaded the 01.02.15A firmware. I then renamed the "BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom" to "pribootLoader.rom" and the "PP5022.mi4" to "firmware.mi4", dragged and dropped into my sansa, disconnected, and found that the same problem with rockbox was occuring. After it shut down, and i tried to boot it up again in recovery mode, the screen remained blank.

Recovery mode still does not boot, so that is not an option. I just went to the link you provided for the e200tool. it says that it removed the e200tool for windows because it rarely works. so what should i do then?

Last edited by steinburger1109; 03-01-2009 at 12:17 PM.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Recovery mode still does not boot, so that is not an option. What is the manufacturing mode you were talking about?
I'm still not 100% clear on what you copied where, but it sounds like you erased the firmware off your player. I've done this before while developing, and it can be fixed.

The general process is

1) Get a linux or MacOS X machine
2) Boot in manufacturer mode
3) Reload the recovery mode code back into DRAM
4) Load into recovery mode and then restore the sansa firmware

More detailed instructions are in the link I posted above. I suggest reading all of them in their entirety before doing anything more.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:20 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga View Post
1) Get a linux or MacOS X machine
is there ANY way to do this on a Windows XP? Because getting a Mac or a Linux isn't really an option for me...

Old 03-01-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
is there ANY way to do this on a Windows XP? Because getting a Mac or a Linux isn't really an option for me...
Once again, i'm going to recommend that you read that link in its entirety.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:44 PM
Ultra Senior Member

I apologize for what i am sure is a stupid question, but what is a Linux Live-CD? and how might i be able to get it?

Old 03-01-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:
I apologize for what i am sure is a stupid question, but what is a Linux Live-CD? and how might i be able to get it?
I'm really not interested in googling things for you, so I think I'm about done here. Maybe someone else can help you.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

o right. again, i'm sorry. and thank you for all your help.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:42 PM

Saratoga did a great job at answering questions, I'm usually good for one or two a day before I get tired. Anyway Ubutu is a good live Linix CD and if you follow the directions properly you will get your sansa up to snuff in no time. You just stick the cd into your drive and boot to CD. Don't install it just let it run off of the CD.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

ok. i got the ubuntu file, downloaded it, and burned it to the cd. i ran ubuntu, and downloaded the Linux binary file. but i don't know what to do next. I'm sorry, but i'm not much of a techy guy. i read from TBOL3 that i need to open terminal and tell it:

"sudo ./e200tool recover BL_SD_boardSupport.rom"

it then says:

"sudo: ./e200tool: command not found"

that didn't work could you confirm that he was wrong or (much more likely) i did something wrong?

Last edited by steinburger1109; 03-01-2009 at 03:42 PM.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:10 AM

ok this seems to we blown WAY out of the need be.

START WITH THIS: on your computer go to notepad make a .TXT file name it SANSA.TXT when you save it save it under ALL files and not just text documents. this will make the sansa do a force format. once it force formats then

download the current firmware version for the e200, it might be the .165 version download the zip file and unzip it to your desktop, boot up your sansa in recovery mode, im the 16mb format, copy and paste the zip file's .mi4 file into the 16mb format drive. then safely eject the format. that SHOULD get you back to having a factory firmwared device.

you should be doing this all manually meaning you download the firmware manually and install the firmware manually by copy and drag the .mi4 file into the 16mb ect. nothing will be done with updaters or anything.

if you follow those 2 steps you should get your sansa back to a functioning state.

Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thank you to everyone that helped. I un-bricked my e260, and i was able to get rockbox as well as the new bootloader on it, so i can now read and put music directly onto my e260.

Unfortunately, a new problem has arisen for me. although my mp3 player now says that it is connected, my computer recognizes it as an unknown device, so i cannot sync. microsoft says that i need a new driver for it, but the driver updates do nothing. does anyone know what happened or how i can get the computer to read it?