android
Old 02-01-2009, 01:22 AM

Default Custom P2 Casing

Hi guys i was wondering if this would work. I want to take off the back plate of the casing and spray paint it a chrome or any other color (suggestions welcome) and put it back on.

Thanks in Advance

Steve

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 02-01-2009, 01:35 AM

that would be cool!
dont forget to post up pics when you are done
:]

Heres something similar to your idea that someone did:
http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39174

Old 02-01-2009, 07:50 AM
Ultra Senior Member

So you'll know, the back is stainless steel with a black coating. It might be paint or a baked on powder coating. Other owners have scraped or sanded the black off to reveal the metal beneath. If you really want chrome, you could strip the back then take it to a plater. Chrome paint can look pretty good if well done, but won't come close to how true chrome plating can look.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:54 AM

Chrome paint sucks. Sand the paint off, finish with a fine sandpaper, and then polish it on a buffing wheel. Warning though: it'll be about as scratch-prone as iPods.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:15 AM

thanks for all the quick replies guys, but what was thinking was sanding the back then spray painting it chrome and then putting like a clear coat on top so it wouldnt be as easy to scratch

Old 02-22-2009, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manoman View Post
thanks for all the quick replies guys, but what was thinking was sanding the back then spray painting it chrome and then putting like a clear coat on top so it wouldnt be as easy to scratch
My experience with any metalic paint and clear coat is that when the clear coat hits the metalic (chrome) paint it will litterally lift the metalic paint and revese it so you will end up with a gray primer colored paint. Well that is what happened when I painted a bedframe with metalic silver paint and thought I would "protect" it with a clear coat. Really sucked considering the time and effort put into stripping, priming, and painting (10 coats), then to clear coat it and have it all reversed.

Tags
custom, p2, paint