android
  #41  
Old 02-03-2009, 06:28 AM
Mf1232's Avatar
Mf1232 Mf1232 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Richmond, NH
Posts: 461
Default

@OnYourMark, I'm pretty sure there isn't a way to adjust the touchscreen in any way....there might be in the future via FW, like in settings "Disable Double-Click" or something like that, but as of right now, unless you take the player apart and do it that way, no...

@tripole,
1. It's an AMOLED screen, not just OLED, AMOLED means "Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode", so it's better than OLED...and to be honest, they should've made it support more formats from the start. No doubt, if people ask for more formats, eventually they will probably send out a FW with a few more...

2. Well, it is a PMP, but yes it's being treated more like an MP3

3. I answerd this above, and as to this happening to previous players, I honestly don't know, the Cowon S9 is the first Cowon I've ever owned or researched...sorry.
__________________
16gb Sony NWZ-E475m - Sony MDR-EX300 IEMs
*R.I.P.*
16gb Cowon S9, 32gb ZuneHD
Reply With Quote

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

  #42  
Old 02-03-2009, 06:40 AM
tripole tripole is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mf1232 View Post
@tripole,
1. It's an AMOLED screen, not just OLED, AMOLED means "Active Matrix Organic Light Emitting Diode", so it's better than OLED...and to be honest, they should've made it support more formats from the start. No doubt, if people ask for more formats, eventually they will probably send out a FW with a few more...

2. Well, it is a PMP, but yes it's being treated more like an MP3

3. I answerd this above, and as to this happening to previous players, I honestly don't know, the Cowon S9 is the first Cowon I've ever owned or researched...sorry.
Thanks for the inputs... My apologies for the screen type. Yup it's AMOLED.

Probably for my question 3, I hope those who owned Cowon players before can give some comments based on their experience.
Reply With Quote

  #43  
Old 02-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Mf1232's Avatar
Mf1232 Mf1232 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Richmond, NH
Posts: 461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlebuddha View Post
Mf1232 can u show us what it looks like with the invisible shield? does it cover the titanium sides as well?
Yes, it does cover the titanium sides, very nicely. I have taken the pictures, but my sister took her camera and when to a b-ball game, so i will upload them tonight when she gets back, or tomorrow when she's home.
__________________
16gb Sony NWZ-E475m - Sony MDR-EX300 IEMs
*R.I.P.*
16gb Cowon S9, 32gb ZuneHD
Reply With Quote

  #44  
Old 02-05-2009, 09:25 PM
El_Duderino's Avatar
El_Duderino El_Duderino is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 50
Default

Could you by any chance provide a more complete game compatibility list than the one already on the forum? So far people have only posted a few very small lists. When I get my S9 I can start testing games, is it possible to turn the s9 into a brick by testing Flash Apps?
Reply With Quote

  #45  
Old 02-05-2009, 09:38 PM
insta insta is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 35
Default

Not at all! The worst that can happen is that it freezes up, so you have to do a hard reset
Reply With Quote

  #46  
Old 02-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Mf1232's Avatar
Mf1232 Mf1232 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Richmond, NH
Posts: 461
Default

well, i personally haven't tried many of the games, but i have tried

bowman 1 and 2: the arrow goes through your opponent instead of hitting them most of the time, and once there's a lot of arrows on the field it plays slow
johnny rocketfingers: pretty fun story game, runs fast, can be hard to click some options
fishtales: fun, hasn't crashed on me. only downfall is you can't save game
cureball: i find very fun, runs nicely
cubox: runs fast, puzzle game
defend your castle: not recommended, plays slow and laggy, hard to pick up the stick characters
nuclear eagle: pretty fun, sometimes a touch is unresponsive, and it runs slow when a lot of people get on the screen
darts: eh, it's ok, get's laggy once there's a lot of darts on the screen
mar's cookie drop: not the funest of games, kind of stupid...but it works good
nervous brakedown(spinn): challenging, runs fast, doesn't lag
puzzle(spinn): runs fast, responsive...once again, challenging
virtual drums and guitar: not recommended....end of story

bottom line, all game's get laggy once there's a lot to display, the s9 only has so much processing power. and the only way to exit most games is to press the tactile play/pause button.

i recommend small file size games that don't display much and don't require click-and-holding.

hope that helps...
__________________
16gb Sony NWZ-E475m - Sony MDR-EX300 IEMs
*R.I.P.*
16gb Cowon S9, 32gb ZuneHD
Reply With Quote

  #47  
Old 02-07-2009, 04:35 AM
ls103rb ls103rb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Location, location
Posts: 113
Default

@mf1232

I am not flaming, and I appreciate your efforts to help people, but many of your posts and answers make me highly dubious with regards to your "sources", and indeed your knowledge of the S9.

For example, you said there is no way for videos to start up in widescreen, that is plain wrong (#17, #18). Your FW info, as you admitted, was wrong (#25, 26. Btw, on what grounds did you "assume most people knew that 2.08 was coming out within the month"?). Other answers seem to me to be completely unsubstantiated guesswork (#31 "every different s9 has it's own little bugs"; #41 "no doubt, if people ask for more formats, eventually they will probably send out a FW with a few more"). Stating that you own InvisibleShield, posting a proposed test, admitting that it hadn't arrived, taking pics when it did arrive and not posting them and finally not doing the test because of a perceived flaw is quite frankly awaste of time, and IMHO is hardly building credibility.

As you said, this is your first Cowon player, and you know no-one who works for them. So why should we regard your sources as being credible? I'd certainly appreciate more info on these shadowy people.

On a positive note, my nephew says your games guide (post above) is excellent.

For me, there just seems to be many more people here whom are better qualified to answer many of the questions than yourself, and I mean that sincerely without wishing to insult you or your efforts.

OK, flame-retardant underpants on - fire away...
Reply With Quote

  #48  
Old 02-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Mf1232's Avatar
Mf1232 Mf1232 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Richmond, NH
Posts: 461
Default

i've never mentioned who my sources are because they wish to remain anonymous. but i will say this, i know someone personally who is a member of the group. so that's how i get my information. i was given permission to post things here. and they do have a connecton into cowon. so it's not all gueswork, but i will admit some has to be educated guesses, some things are just not certain, so therefore they base their predictions off of every single little piece of information they have so far.

and when i assumed that people knew when 2.08 was coming out, that was stupid of me. i shouldn't have. but even when i made that post, it was only 1 day before 2.08 was released...that's only a day ahead, so i thought people knew.

the widescreen thing, i meant it as in there is no way to actually set a setting that makes it so vids start in widescreen. the only way to is like sacramento said...and even then all you're doing is turning off the accelerometer while its sideways so it has to stay that way, and when then when you start the movies back up if you had it orientated to play left, and did that, when you start the movies back up, it's orientated to the right. which isn't how you "saved" it. my point was there is no setting dedicated to that.

and as for the invisible shield...it works like crap with the s9, it's not even worth reporting on. i am sorry i didn't do the test like i said, but all i did was slip it into my pocket with nothing but the heaphones and it scratched...that's not worth it.

glad your nephew found something useful. i hate how people just assume because i'm new here, and it's my first cowon player, that i can't possibly know that much. you'd be surprised.
__________________
16gb Sony NWZ-E475m - Sony MDR-EX300 IEMs
*R.I.P.*
16gb Cowon S9, 32gb ZuneHD
Reply With Quote

  #49  
Old 02-07-2009, 03:36 PM
ls103rb ls103rb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Location, location
Posts: 113
Default

Thanks for your honest reply, much appreciated.

I didn't assume that you know nothing, and I know from experience that some people assume far too much when one is new to a forum/site (I'm new here also). I'm sure you know more about the PMP/mp3 world than me, and I'll stress again that I for one appreciate your efforts. I'm not one to cast stones in glass houses, and my lack of positive and helpful advice here is purely due to the fact that that I've nothing whatsoever to add to the excellent reviews, tips and hard work of others who possess much more knowledge than myself. Plus, more importantly, my S9 has been virtually problem-free - a slow boot is all. I'm still mystified by your sources and who they are and what they know, but I guess that's my problem! You have your reasons for not saying more, and I will respect that.

You were the guy/girl who started the Q&A thread, and I think it was a great idea - the scientist in me just doesn't like subjective/unsubstantiated stuff, and I never will.

Again, thanks for your work, thanks for your polite and considered reply, and I'll have no problem with you tearing me a new one if (when!) I need help!
Reply With Quote

  #50  
Old 02-08-2009, 05:34 PM
Mf1232's Avatar
Mf1232 Mf1232 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Richmond, NH
Posts: 461
Default

Hey guys. I just sent my S9 back through amazon.com for a refund. I'm going to save another hundred USD and buy the Archos 5 or 5g (not sure if 5g is out in U.S. or not...is it?) The Archos 5 seems to fit me needs better. As a result I will not be here to check out my unoficiall Q and A as much. I still will, just not as much. So you may still feel free to ask away, like I said, I will check this thread every so often. And just cause I'm not here doesn't mean that someone else can't answer your questions. So anybody who knows the answer to someone's question, feel free to answer it.

@Isorb(sorry if name is wrong): No problem, I'm not one to flame. I'm usually pretty calm and collected. I don't find a need to get angry at the little shit. You have a right to want to know about things. I completely understand. Some random person shows up on the forums and just seems to have the answers? I'd be suspicious too. But glad we cleared that up. And my sources wish to remain anonymous because if everybody knew that they knew this much about cowon, well, everybody and their brother would be asking them. Besides that, if cowon got onto it then their inside connection would probably be fired...
__________________
16gb Sony NWZ-E475m - Sony MDR-EX300 IEMs
*R.I.P.*
16gb Cowon S9, 32gb ZuneHD
Reply With Quote

  #51  
Old 02-08-2009, 07:06 PM
AgedArt AgedArt is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 14
Default Playback Speed

MF1232,

Can you tell me if the variable playback speed works easily and also the bookmark feature? I would like to place beginning and ending bookmarks in a song, then replay that one section at a slower speed. Is this possible with the S9? If so, is it easily done or is it cumbersome?

Thanks
Reply With Quote

  #52  
Old 02-09-2009, 02:10 AM
afgnail afgnail is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3
Default

I just got my Cowon S9 and updated to 2.08 firmware.

But I've encountered an issue with deleting files.. Can't seem to do that in my player for any files; be it video, audio or text.

Could any kind soul help me out with that?
Reply With Quote

  #53  
Old 02-09-2009, 06:45 AM
ryepie ryepie is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mf1232 View Post
i've never mentioned who my sources are because they wish to remain anonymous. but i will say this, i know someone personally who is a member of the group. so that's how i get my information. i was given permission to post things here. and they do have a connecton into cowon. so it's not all gueswork, but i will admit some has to be educated guesses, some things are just not certain, so therefore they base their predictions off of every single little piece of information they have so far.
Right well I advise you just ignore whoever you speak to because they obviously know nothing, as firmware 2.09 is out now. A little bit early compared to your March/April 'predication' wouldn't you say?
Reply With Quote

  #54  
Old 02-09-2009, 06:53 AM
Cynic's Avatar
Cynic Cynic is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 114
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afgnail View Post
I just got my Cowon S9 and updated to 2.08 firmware.

But I've encountered an issue with deleting files.. Can't seem to do that in my player for any files; be it video, audio or text.

Could any kind soul help me out with that?

You have to use the browser to delete files. Go to the main menu >>browser >>folders and locate your file from there, you should be able to delete it.
Reply With Quote

  #55  
Old 02-09-2009, 06:57 AM
ryepie ryepie is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by afgnail View Post
I just got my Cowon S9 and updated to 2.08 firmware.

But I've encountered an issue with deleting files.. Can't seem to do that in my player for any files; be it video, audio or text.

Could any kind soul help me out with that?

I've found that you can only delete files by going into the Browser, navigating to the top level, and then entering [Folders] option, from there you can drill down to the file you want to delete and you should be able to get rid of it. If you don't go into [Folders] first but instead just go straight into the [Music], [Videos] etc folders then you cannot delete anything. Hope this helps.
Reply With Quote

  #56  
Old 02-09-2009, 06:59 AM
ryepie ryepie is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 11
Default

Cynic won this battle, but I shall have my vengence
Reply With Quote

  #57  
Old 02-09-2009, 07:36 AM
ls103rb ls103rb is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Location, location
Posts: 113
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryepie View Post
Right well I advise you just ignore whoever you speak to because they obviously know nothing, as firmware 2.09 is out now. A little bit early compared to your March/April 'predication' wouldn't you say?
I'm afraid he's right, mf1232. If I were you, I'd "out" them - they're clearly out of their depth and are totally unreliable at best, and full of sh*t at worse. This is exactly why I don't trust anonymous sources farther than I can spit them. He/she/they are making you look foolish. They owe you an apology.

Last edited by ls103rb; 02-09-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #58  
Old 02-09-2009, 05:38 PM
Mf1232's Avatar
Mf1232 Mf1232 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Richmond, NH
Posts: 461
Default

to be honest they never have gotten a single firmware prediction right, so idk why i even bothered to tell you guys. but also who really knows, maybe the release date for 2.09 got moved up because of everybody having problems with 2.08...

from now on i'll only trust the answers that i know they usually get right, aka not firmware...
__________________
16gb Sony NWZ-E475m - Sony MDR-EX300 IEMs
*R.I.P.*
16gb Cowon S9, 32gb ZuneHD
Reply With Quote

  #59  
Old 02-09-2009, 05:42 PM
Mf1232's Avatar
Mf1232 Mf1232 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Richmond, NH
Posts: 461
Default

@agedart, ive actually never used the bookmark feature. i know how to though, just be on the now playing where it shows album art and stuff, flip the bottom menu so you see an icon thats a square with a little + sign. press it. i know that to change playback speed it is kind of a pain, you have to go all the way back to main menu, go into settings, and then music, and then speed.
__________________
16gb Sony NWZ-E475m - Sony MDR-EX300 IEMs
*R.I.P.*
16gb Cowon S9, 32gb ZuneHD
Reply With Quote

  #60  
Old 02-09-2009, 05:58 PM
Sacramento's Avatar
Sacramento Sacramento is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ireland
Posts: 51
Default

I'm looking for a "browser total" that allows you to browse in landscape mode and be able to lock the g-sensor and for the lock to remember it's saved position. Can anyone direct me? I just downloaded one now, but alas, no lock.
__________________
Nicotine, Valium, Vicodin, Marijuana, Ecstasy and Alcohol..... C-c-c-c-c-cocaine!
Reply With Quote

Reply

Tags
answers, cowon, s9, trouble

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 PM.