android
Old 03-04-2007, 01:02 PM

Default IRIVER FM Transmitter and other accessories?

I recently purchased a Clix2g and like it. I would like to know if I should purchase the iRiver FM transmitter or look for another device or manufacturer? Is there a cool way to mount the player in a vehicle or do you let it dangle from the cord? Also, I work in a lab at a university and any gadgets that would help me disconnect quicker, keep from damaging the unit or simply make things work better would be helpful. I have a 2004 Tacoma, so no the stereo does not have a connection and it sounds so good I would not change it.

I believe I will need a belt/arm case as the first accessory and seem to be plenty on ebay that are convenient and inexpensive.

Thanks, Lonn

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 03-04-2007, 07:46 PM

If you don't have an auxillary input in your deck, and no tape either, then the iriver fm transmitter is the way to go. I haven't used it personally, but from what I hear it's one of the better fm transmitters out there. There are various car mounts on ebay, but I haven't used them. Some have adhesive you can stick anywhere, some have clips to stick on the air vents. Not sure what you mean by 'disconnect quicker'?

My Deviant Art page - they make great wallpapers

Old 03-04-2007, 09:55 PM

Default Gorcorps

If you don't have an auxillary input in your deck, and no tape either, then the iriver fm transmitter is the way to go. I haven't used it personally, but from what I hear it's one of the better fm transmitters out there. There are various car mounts on ebay, but I haven't used them. Some have adhesive you can stick anywhere, some have clips to stick on the air vents. Not sure what you mean by 'disconnect quicker'?

Disconnect quicker is drop everything and run. As I mentioned before I work at the Academy with cadets. They can do the darndest things without warning in a materials testing lab. If I am strapped to anyting or anything dangling they can be damaged. I saw the accessories on ebay and picked up a fabric belt holder with an arm strap and a Sennheiser CX300 Headphones Black, Item number: 300087367655 for $13. I am a long-time ebay seller/buyer so I do know my way around ebay.

The output on the players are compatible with almost every audio imput I am guessing but can pretty much tell when they work with headphones and saw an OE cable with RCA output jacks for the Clix. I am thinking about pulling out my Tacoma stereo and tapping into the Cd input and adding an aux switch. That way I can simply plug it into the radio/Cd player.

There's a multitude of other things as well and getting ideas. They have these docks with speakers built into them but they're running off of the low current output. You could plug the player directly into any aux input of any sound system actually. So what if you use the FM vehicle transmitter and a stereo radio, like working outside. It would be fairly simple to tap the radio for 10 to 12 volts, or a simple plug-in power supply. The transmitter will likely work down to 9 volts so a rectangular 9 volt battery would likely work as well.

Tone controls in series: This could be interesting as well. If I did not shut off the equalizer and had the base up on the player and the receiver I could and would probably get a lot of distortion. Have you ever heard of such issues?

This is fun...

I use to own an automation engineering firm (cheifly in semiconductor mfg.) but never had the time to listen to music or play with MP3 stuff until recently. I can see a lot of room for gadgets but could never compete with the low prices in consumer electronics.

Before I purchased this player I was going to put a PC in my shed to run the gezebo stereo. Now I am simply going to put an amplifier and speakers out there and plug the player into that.

Thanks and if you think of anything else let me know.

Lonn

Old 03-06-2007, 01:01 AM

Sounds like you have tons of ideas to get you goin .

And OT: I'm a materials/metallurgical engineer too!

My Deviant Art page - they make great wallpapers

Old 03-11-2007, 06:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I bought the FM transmitter and really like it. I've had it about 4-5 months and it's worked fine.

Unfortunately, I have been having problems lately that I think is interference from local FM stations but I am still trying to troubleshoot the problem. I plug in the FM transmitter and connect everything, start playing my audible.com book (keeps me sane while commuting) and within a few minutes there's this terrible mmm--wwhhhaaa--SKREEEEEE--BUZZZZZZZ noise. It starts low, then builds in volume until it explodes out of the speaker. Almost made me run off the road the first time it happened. Thank goodness I wasn't wearing headphones!

Has this happened to anyone else? I found something similar on the forum, but I don't know if it's related to the FM frequency I'm set to or if it's a hardware problem on my end. I checked the connections; they seem fine. Anyone?

Old 03-12-2007, 04:08 AM

Question Back-coupling?

Hi, Ksgarvin, The first thing that comes to my mind is “back-coupling”. I do not know how the Clix is connected to your FM transmitter.

If it is not via the headphone socket but the USB connector, perhaps it is a back-coupling of your speakers in the car which come “too close” to the microphone of the Clix.

But normally back-couplings do not wait for the right moment—they are fun from the very first moment of connection. It does not explain why this problem starts at a low level and increased then. Sorry, I am no expert in this.

Old 03-04-2008, 04:02 PM

I'm having the same problem. Did you ever find a solution?

Old 01-26-2009, 02:13 PM

What FM transmitter are you using, is it the iRiver AFT-100?:
http://reviews.cnet.com/fm-transmitt...-31222016.html

Can it be used with home stereos or is it only a car transmitter that needs to be plugged into the lighter for power?

Old 02-03-2009, 03:39 PM

Good deal on the AFT-100 for today only - $8 shipped!!!
See: http://www.shnoop.com/yesterday.php

Old 02-03-2009, 03:43 PM

But I don't think any FM transmitter works well. You need to find a static and radio free FM frequency which is impossible where I live, and I think most places.