android
Old 01-29-2009, 01:57 PM

Default V1 and V2 firmware

I just hear that there are two version of the firmware. Why are there two different versions of the firmware? I have 1.02.22A why would I need to switch versions? Can someone please fill me on the two different firmware versions.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-29-2009, 02:14 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
I just hear that there are two version of the firmware. Why are there two different versions of the firmware? I have 1.02.22A why would I need to switch versions? Can someone please fill me on the two different firmware versions.
You're asking a lot of questions today that you could easily find out just by looking a little harder. Asides from the search function in this site, there is always "the Google" which I used to give you a link in your Rockbox question in the other thread. But, since I am a wonderful guy....
http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=37450
http://forums.sandisk.com/sansa/boar...thread.id=9473

Old 01-29-2009, 04:12 PM

Quote:
they are not 2 versions but 2 revisions of the firmware based on slight differences in hardware if I'm not mistaken. Only time will tell how they both perform. Take heart if you have a revision 1 Fuze because that's the one Rockbox is being ported to.
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 01-29-2009, 05:26 PM

Quote:
I just hear that there are two version of the firmware.
Yes, that's true. There is the original version, the 1.xx.xx series, and a revision to the firmware, the 2.xx.xx series.

Quote:
Why are there two different versions of the firmware?
Because there was a revision of the hardware, the player itself. We don't know the difference internally. It could be that some part in the original was discontinued or had a revision from the manufacturer; it could be a part was changed for some other reason. It was stated by "Sansafix" I believe on the Sandisk Community forum that the Clip's harware/firmware revision from 1.xx.xx to 2.xx.xx was because the original didn't support more than 4GB, so it had to be revised for the 8GB version. Whether something similar is the case with the Fuze, they haven't said. Whatever the reason, 1.xx.xx series firmware wouldn't work on the revised hardware, so it had to be revised.

Quote:
I have 1.02.22A why would I need to switch versions?
First of all, you don't need to. Word from Sandisk is that there is no functional difference, both versions have all the same features. Second, you can't. The 1.xx.xx series runs only on the original hardware, which is what you have. The 2.xx.xx series runs only on the revised hardware. Third, if you try, you will most likely brick your Fuze.

Quote:
Can someone please fill me on the two different firmware versions.
Done.

Old 01-30-2009, 10:27 AM

Adequately explained jkj tanx.

Old 01-30-2009, 11:49 AM

You're welcome.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkj1962 View Post
you will most likely brick your Fuze.
I hear that it will not most likely brick your fuze. The main thing that would happen is just that the firmware won't run when you unplug the fuze. I use the sansa updater for mine anyways so I don't have to worry about accidentally uploading wrong firmware.

Old 01-30-2009, 01:37 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

Unless they're amazingly stupid, the V2 firmware should be rejected on a V1 player as unsupported and no flashing occur. However, if you did manage to flash it (by changing the header), it would almost certainly brick a Fuze.

Old 02-02-2009, 02:21 PM

What is the current versions of Fuze firmware for V1 hardware? And where do you find the current version number?

Old 02-02-2009, 02:26 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
What is the current versions of Fuze firmware for V1 hardware? And where do you find the current version number?
Look back to the 2nd post in this thread.....my response to your original question. Then, click on the second of the 2 links I supplied you there....and there you shall find the answers you seek.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkj1962 View Post
It was stated by "Sansafix" I believe on the Sandisk Community forum that the Clip's harware/firmware revision from 1.xx.xx to 2.xx.xx was because the original didn't support more than 4GB, so it had to be revised for the 8GB version.
I have 2 Fuzes with the 8GB having 1.x firmware and the 4gb having 2.x firmware. This causes me to question the claim mentioned above.

Old 02-03-2009, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fhantazm View Post
I have 2 Fuzes with the 8GB having 1.x firmware and the 4gb having 2.x firmware. This causes me to question the claim mentioned above.
I said that my recollection is that SansaFix on the Sansa Forums said the Clip had to be revised (a different PC board) to be able to support 8GB. He also said that all models of the Clip manufactured after that time would be 2.x, regardless of the capacity, since the revised board would accomodate the 1GB, 2GB and 4GB capacities. (There are still some 1.x models in the supply chain, so they still show up.) I mentioned the Clip's revision for higher capacity as an example of why a revision might be done. The Fuze already supported 8GB, obviously. I was inferring that a Fuze with a higher capacity, greater than 8GB, might be in the works and that might be the reason for 2.x. So far, no one has said why the Fuze was revised, hence my saying, "Whether something similar is the case with the Fuze, they haven't said."