android
Old 01-31-2009, 03:40 PM

Default Can't boot into original firmware

I have the e250 and successfully installed Rockbox. Everything was working fine, except I was getting sick of my Sansa not consistently mounting on my Mac when connecting the USB cable.

After some research, I found that downgrading the Sansa firmware to version 1.01.11 will allow the e250 to mount properly every time it's connected. I successfully downgraded, but now Rockbox wouldn't boot anymore.

I reinstalled the Rockbox bootloader and was again able to boot into Rockbox, but now when I attempt to boot into the Sansa firmware, I get an error saying: "can't load from partition bad checksum...etc.".

So now I can boot up into Rockbox, but I can't boot into the original firmware or connect the e250 to my Mac.

I tried booting into recovery mode but the 16mb disk doesn't show up on my Mac. I can see it using DiskUtility, but I can't get it to mount.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-31-2009, 04:46 PM

sounds like you may not have had a good Sansa Firmware install. The steps I would do would be the following....

1. Backup all important media from your player.

2. Reformat (FAT32) your player...NOT the 16MB partition.

3. Flash your player again with the desired firmware.

4. Reinstall Rockbox and the bootloader.

That should hopefully do the trick. I'm a Windows guy not a Mac so if it doesn't work you'll have to ask one of'em.
Sansa e260v1 Rockboxed 8GB microsdhc
Sansa Fuze 8GB 16GB microSDHC

Old 01-31-2009, 06:08 PM

I can't connect my sansa to the computer to access any files because it won't boot into the original firmware and rockbox doesn't have USB.

Old 01-31-2009, 06:12 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

You'll probably need to use this then:

http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/vie...#Recovery_Mode

Old 01-31-2009, 07:31 PM

I tried using the recovery mode, but the 16mb drive doesn't show up on my Mac. I can see it with DiskUtility, but it doesn't give me the option to mount.

Old 01-31-2009, 10:51 PM

It seems strange to me that it shows up, but won't mount. I would say to enter Manufacturing Mode and try to recover that way. saratoga gave the link.

Old 02-01-2009, 07:10 AM

It seems like trying Manufacturing Mode is all that's left to try. From what I was reading though, after loading the bootloader using e200tool, you're supposed to enter recovery mode and access the 16mb drive. Seems like I might be faced with the same problem of the 16mb drive not mounting.

I'm going to try this later, but I really don't know what I'm doing. I'm not familiar with working in the terminal and Darwin. Any advice would be appreciated.

Bill

Old 02-01-2009, 05:24 PM

OK, to follow up:

Good news!
By booting my Mac up in system 9 OS instead of system 10, I was able to get the 16mb recovery mode drive to mount.

Bad News!
Following the instructions from Rockbox Wiki, I tried everything. Loading just the mi4 file and disconnecting, loading the mi4 file and the .rom bootloader file then disconnecting. Loading the mi4 and .rom and a file labeled .fmt then disconnecting. Nothing works.

I can still boot into Rockbox and use the player, but can't get the original firmware installed no matter what I try.

A couple things.
When in recovery mode, there's a locked file that shows up on the 16mb drive called version.txt. Is this normal? When I get info on the 16mb drive, it says there's 11 files using 200k on there. I can only see the one mentioned.

Second thing.
When I boot into recovery mode, the message on my sansa says:
Welcome to Recovery Mode

USB cable connected
Enter USB2.0 MSD mode
LUN0 locked

Is this the normal message I should get, the 'locked' part?

Here's the full error message I get on my sansa when trying to boot into the original firmware:

calculated CRC32: B0000EB6
Can't load from partition
Bad checksum
Trying /system/ OF mi4
Can't load /system/ OF mi4
file not found
trying /system/ OF .bin
Can't load /system/ OF .bin
file not found

then the player shuts down.

Any advice???

--Bill

Last edited by BillMPL; 02-01-2009 at 05:34 PM.

Old 02-01-2009, 09:51 PM

The version.txt should be there. I don't see anything about 11 files on mine, so I would guess that's not normal. The locked message is correct behavior. The final error message you give, sounds familiar from one of the times I bricked mine. I'm not totally sure at which point it happened, but I think I used the manufacturing mode to fix it.

I'll try to explain the process a little more exactly than the Rockbox page.
  1. Download and extract this file. You should now have a folder called SansaRecovery on your desktop.
  2. Power player off, turn ON the lock switch, hold down the center button, and plug in the USB cable. The screen should be black, blue ring should be lit, and something should show up in Disk Utility.
  3. Type the following lines into the Terminal and press enter after each one.
    cd ~/Desktop/SansaRecovery
    chmod +x e200tool
    ./e200tool recover BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom
  4. Once you've entered the last command, start holding the Record button on the player. The recovery partition should mount on your desktop.
  5. Copy the PP5022.mi4, BL_SD_boardSupportSD.rom, and sansa.fmt from the SansaRecovery folder to the recovery partition.
  6. Eject the partition and wait for the player to do it's work. Once done, it should be good as new and ready to be broke again.

Old 02-02-2009, 01:25 PM

I'll try going through the Manufaturing Mode and see if it makes a difference.

I'm a little hesitant, because I don't want to totally brick my unit. Right now I can still use and charge my player in Rockbox mode. I can also add or delete files by using the micro card in a reader. I just won't be able to mount the sansa or upgrade or change firmware.

Bill

Old 02-02-2009, 06:00 PM
Rockbox Developer / Moderator

You could probably update rockbox via the SD card as well. Theres semiworking USB support in rockbox if you compile a build with it enabled, but its really better to fix the OF.

Using manufacturing mode is relatively safe, it doesn't actually change the contents of your flash, just loads the Sansa firmware into RAM and runs it from there, hopefully letting you into disk mode so you can fix the flash. So basically you'd load the OF's recovery mode into RAM from a known good copy, run it, mount the recovery mode 16MB disk on your PC, and then copy a new (working) firmware over to it. Assuming the problem is a corrupted firmware thats preventing the builtin recovery mode code from working, this should work.