android
Old 01-27-2009, 09:45 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Zune sales down 54%?

This is surprising. Why is Zune losing market share? Perhaps Zune needs to make players with a card slot and have lower pricing to adequately compete against Sandisk? In the US, one can buy an 8 gig Sandisk Fuze plus an 8 gig SDHC memory card for around $100. It also seems like Zune has nothing to compete against the Sandisk Sansa Clip. Perhaps the problem might be that the other player makers(even including Sandisk) are making players too similar to ipods? How about making them as different as possible from ipods to gain market from Apple? How about players that navigate by folders, use a AA or AAA battery, have a card slot, have both AM and FM radio, have variable speed playback from half to double normal speed with automatic pitch correction(similar to what Windows Media Player offers. This is important for podcasts, audiobooks and lectures.)

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...-our-zune.aspx

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-27-2009, 09:53 AM
Off-Topic Moderator

I think for the most part people like to own DAPs to be as simplified as possible, and this is what the iPod does best. ThIs is unfortunate, because there are so many good players on the market.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Why?
- Product range too narrow.
- Too little (was there any?) advertising.
- No "identity" to the Zune crew at Microsoft. No hero to worship.
- No sex appeal to the products.
- More specific, relative names needed for the players:
..... Zune Brick.
..... Zune Pocket.
..... and we need a Zune Caress (touchscreen)
..... and we need a Zune Imp. (small, clip-on, mischevious)
..... and (at least) One More Thing...

Old 01-28-2009, 05:13 PM
ABI Founder

I just got off of a conference call with the Zune team. While i cant discuss most of it, i can tell you that there will be a significant hardware and software release before the holidays. The recent bad Zune news is overhyped- it is not in big trouble as the 54% decrease suggest. Dont worry about Zune discontinuing support- it is here to stay and there are many good things to come.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Thanks for that insight, Enzo. It's clear the sky is not falling, despite the tech world's desire for a story. Could you have the Zune team send me an email? I'd love to see them succeed. So far the firmware and desktop software is on a great track, but the hardware needs a makeover, more personality, and more unique models (pricepoints).

Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 PM

My conjecture is that most new player buyers want flash based rather than hard drive based. I think that there is a place in the market for both.

Old 01-28-2009, 08:10 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good news EnzoTen, thanks!!! Now, I just hope they bring Cesar back!!!

Old 01-29-2009, 01:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

^^ currently imagining the Zune UI updated to work on a 3.5" AMOLED 32gb touchscreen player. The webkit based browser is great, and their clever port of Surface technology dares Apple to try and sue.

Old 01-30-2009, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
^^ currently imagining the Zune UI updated to work on a 3.5" AMOLED 32gb touchscreen player. The webkit based browser is great, and their clever port of Surface technology dares Apple to try and sue.
Enzo, I know that you may not be able to disclose details, but is that even on the horizon? Will MS incorporate a workable wifi browser on the Zune, comparable to Safari or the better Opera (mobile IE is not what I'd call 'user friendly'; on the Samsung Omnia, IE is a hair pulling experience).

Old 01-31-2009, 09:12 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I'm betting Enzo can't reveal any specific details he might know. I just like to guess.