android
Old 01-27-2009, 06:11 AM

Unhappy Both AAC and MAc compatible?

Hi,
I'm looking to get a new mp3 player, around 8-16gb. I've been using a Mac and iTunes for years, so all my music has been ripped in AAC format. I don't want to convert the files because I'll lose quality, and I don't particularly want to have to re-rip my cd library in a different format.

I used the compare function on here, with the only criteria being size, mac compatibility, and ability to run AAC, and the only non-ipod that came up was the Samsung P2, which in my opinion is too expensive for what it offers.

Are there any other players out there that anyone can recommend? Or am i just going to have to buy an ipod/re-rip my library?

Cheers all

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-27-2009, 06:24 AM

Sony players should work well for AAC and Mac compatibility.

Old 01-27-2009, 06:47 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

The reason the sonys dont show in the compare software is that they dont officially support mac, but if you plug one into a mac it will work - just as UMS not MTP. Archos players can also do AAC, IIRC, but with a plugin that costs moneys

Old 01-27-2009, 07:17 AM

Ah, that's useful to know - i was looking at Sony's because of the AAC, but read they weren't Mac compatible, so stopped. I'll certainly give them another look then
Cheers

Old 01-27-2009, 07:50 AM

If I am not mistaken don't macs have tow modes of operation: a natvie Mac mode and a PC mode? In PC mode don't they look an operate as a native PC? Shouldn't they then be compatible with all MP3 players?

Old 01-27-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
If I am not mistaken don't macs have tow modes of operation: a natvie Mac mode and a PC mode? In PC mode don't they look an operate as a native PC? Shouldn't they then be compatible with all MP3 players?
You can run the Mac as a PC for applications that are mac incompatible, but to honest, it's a pain, and i wouldn't be able to transfer my iTunes over either, so i may as well re-rip without using the parallels.

Re the Sony, I've been reading good things about the S639F, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on this player? Is it better than the 638?

Cheers

Old 01-27-2009, 08:56 AM

They're the same player. S638 = 8GB, S639 = 16GB. All the new Sony players have basically the same features as far as audio/video goes, with only specific differences like noise canceling or Bluetooth. So just get the one that appeals to you.

Old 01-27-2009, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
They're the same player. S638 = 8GB, S639 = 16GB. All the new Sony players have basically the same features as far as audio/video goes, with only specific differences like noise canceling or Bluetooth. So just get the one that appeals to you.
Brilliant.

Thanks for all your help

Tags
aac, mac compatible