android
Old 01-25-2009, 04:53 PM

Page Unofficial Cowon S9 Q and A

Hey guys, this thread is specifically for any questions about anything about the S9. So ask away! Anyone can ask questions, and anyone can answer questions. Everyone is a help in this Q&A. Ask about album art, flash, battery, display, codec, etc, anything!

I owned a 16GB Titanium Cowon S9 for over a year. However, while using it in my truck to listen to music through the truck's stereo, I was in an accident. Not the glass screen itself broke, but underneath that is cracked, so my S9 was K.I.A.

Last edited by Mf1232; 05-22-2011 at 10:04 AM.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-25-2009, 05:24 PM

I can help you with the album Art. You can add album art to any album on your computer using the program Mp3tag v2.42.
-If you have an album on your Cowon that you want album art on, remove it from the device.
-Edit it on your PC using MP3tag.
-Highlight all files you want to add an album art picture to (one album at a time).
-Right click the bottom left of the window and where there appears to be a grey CD and select "add cover".
-Select your Album art picture from wherever you have it on your PC preferably using a JPG image.
-Once your done editing, click; file>save tag (if you do not do this, your changes will not be saved).
-Transfer it back onto your Cowon S9.

That did the trick for me. Hope it does for you.

-Sacramento.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:29 PM

well see, i'm wondering if i should pu it into a different mode before i transfer stuff...cuz im using WMP...so should i change the msc thing?

Old 01-25-2009, 05:40 PM

I'm using MSC mode. So I'd say for emulating my results (all my album art shows up) then you should use that mode too.
Mp3tag will also let you know if there is album art already attached to the files in such a way that the S9 would recognize and show it. For transferring, I normally copy and paste in folders, though once you've edited your files and updated your WMP library it should be fine to use it to transfer them to the S9. Good luck. Ask me more questions if you need to.

-Sacramento

Old 01-25-2009, 05:41 PM

shanks

Old 01-25-2009, 05:43 PM

c'mon guys ask anything!

Old 01-25-2009, 05:43 PM

No bother

-Sacramento

Old 01-25-2009, 05:47 PM

dang, this is going to take a while...i have a ton of albums...and they like all need album art. i assumed WMP would transfer with album art

Old 01-25-2009, 06:05 PM

Unfortunately not.... however, once you do it, you won't need to do it again! I have to say it really adds to the experience when all your songs have album art, such is the clarity and vibrance on the S9 screen.

Note: Despite using the terms "clarity and vibrance" in the same sentence, I can assure you I am straight.

Old 01-25-2009, 06:12 PM

Mf1232 can u show us what it looks like with the invisible shield? does it cover the titanium sides as well?

Old 01-25-2009, 06:53 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Q: When can we expect the next firmware update from Cowon?
Q: When can we expect the Chrome S9 in the U.S.?
Q: What is the screen made of? Glass or what kind of plastic?
Q: CoverFlow in the Music app needs work. Is anyone working on improving it?

Old 01-25-2009, 06:54 PM

Ad 1.) and 2.) - LOL.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:00 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olley View Post
Q: When can we expect the next firmware update from Cowon?
Q: When can we expect the Chrome S9 in the U.S.?
Q: What is the screen made of? Glass or what kind of plastic?
Q: CoverFlow in the Music app needs work. Is anyone working on improving it?
So, do you think the guy works for Cowon? Ask realistic questions about performance, if he's tried the flash skins, etc. Don't ask nonsense when someone is trying to help.

I'll as a question: Can the home screen use custom wallpaper?

Also, for the album art transfer prob, try Media Monkey. Should solve your problems right away. Link is in my sig.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:15 PM

@little buddha, unfortunately my invisible shield has not arrived yet...but i will post pics when it does (next week) patience, and i will have your pics.

@Olley, the darkside is kind of right, i don't work for cowon...and those questions are hard to answer...but lucky for you i do happen to know some of your Q's
1) the next firmware update may be in march, it might get moved to april or later...
2) the chrome in the U.S., sources are iffy, but possibly late spring to summer.
3) screen is made of tempered glass with a light coating on the top which gives it that "plasticky" feel.
4) FW 2.07 made cover a lot better, in my opinion, so that might not get worked into a FW for a while...
don't absolutley hold me to those...like i said, i don't work for cowon, nor do i have friends that do...

@the darkside, yes you can. but you need to do it with flash editors, which are kind of crappy unless you pay for the full versions...and that's usually over 100 USD.

i will elaborate on ^those^ answers if you guys feel the need.
as for now, it's 9:13pm on a school night for me, and i stayed up to 3am last night...so i'm going to bed lol. Hope i helped.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:49 PM

Hi. I'm new here - I'm ugfrog. I have some questions about the S9, and about Personal Media Players in general. I don't own a PMP yet, but want to get one. I'm interested primarily in Cowon's S9 or the D2 - leaning towards the S9. Here goes:

(1a) What happens when a "wide-screen"-display PMP like the S9 (480 x 272) plays a 4:3 aspect ratio movie file?
(1b) Conversely, what does a video look like if it was originally wide-screen format, but it gets played on a 4:3 aspect ratio (320 x 240 resolution) PMP like the D2?

(2a) I know it depends on various settings used during the conversion process, but for decent-quality video and sound, approximately how big (in GB) would the converted file be (to be used on the S9) for a 1-hour movie, assuming AVI format?
(2b) Same question, but assuming WMV format? (I'm trying to determine how many movies I could put onto an S9 (16GB fixed-memory PMP that doesn't accept SDHC cards).

(3a) How good is the video quality on a TV when a PMP uses TV-out to a 36" or smaller TV, assuming the PMP is an S9 with 480 x 272 resolution?
(3b) Same question, but with a D2 at 320 x 240 resolution?

Thanks for any help you can give me on these questions. I've looked all over the web, and haven't been able to get much info.

Also, I've tried to register with Cowon's forum - but after 4 attempts on different days (and no response), I've given up. Does one have to purchase something from Cowon before they let you participate in their forums?

ugfrog

Old 01-26-2009, 01:45 PM

1, I've tried mp3tag and media monkey to add album art to my files, so far media monkey seems to work better, what I want to know is what is the preffered method to add the cover to all my mp3's.

2. Has anyone had the experience of the g sensor not working after playing a video? Happened to me yesterday. Was watching a video tried to watch the video in wide screen but it wouldn't flip. After a restart everything worked fine again.

3. Is there a way to make a videos start up in widescreen mode, I prefer that over regular mode. You wanted questions, I need answers

Old 01-26-2009, 02:42 PM

@Ugfrog,
1a: it will size it down so that a side of the movie isn't cut off, you can make it fullscreen with various zoom modes
1b: i did say im answering s9 questions, but let me think...with the d2, it should do the same, size it down so nothing is cut off, and then you can make it fill screen.
2a: i don't think a one hour movie would even be a gigabite
2b: well, AVI format would be bigger than WMV...so even less than AVI
3a: well the quality will vary based on your T.V. and what format the video is in. generally, if it is a bigger res. movie (say 800x600) then it should be fine, smaller vids might get "grainy" but it shouldn't be that bad
3b: same answer as 3a

I'm pretty sure you don't have to buy anything to participate in their forums, their entire site has been a bit slow lately, i couldn't even donwload FW 2.06 and 2.07 for a while...

@bxbomber,
1: well, i can't say for sure, because i haven't tried mediamonkey, but i think mp3tags is more time consuming and if mediamonkey can get it done, and a bit faster too, go for mediamonkey
2: yeah that happened to me once before, the s9 is still new, and a bit buggy, so things like that will happen. FW may eventually fix things like that.
3: as for now, there isn't, sorry

Old 01-26-2009, 03:10 PM

You can make videos start in widescreen mode. First, play a video, flip the S9 on its side so the video does the same. Then select the option to lock the screen in widescreen. From now on, all videos should start in widescreen. Worked for me.

Old 01-26-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacramento View Post
You can make videos start in widescreen mode. First, play a video, flip the S9 on its side so the video does the same. Then select the option to lock the screen in widescreen. From now on, all videos should start in widescreen. Worked for me.

Thanks i'll try this out now.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:55 PM

Location: I travel a lot.. mainly between Morocco and Holland.

What kind of processing CPU does the S9 have? How many ddr RAM?

Will it theoretically be able to handle HD video footage that hasnt been converted?

Tags
answers, cowon, s9, trouble