android
Old 11-22-2008, 09:49 PM

Help Which Sony Player should I buy?

Looking to get my sister a MP3 player and have settled on a Sony Player, probably the NWZ A729B 16 GB Walkman, it was either the A729B or the 16 GB S739FB. Could someone tell me the advantages of one over the other? I'am leaning towards the A729B as it has a bigger 2.4 screen compared to the 2 inch screen of the S739FB. Reading the specs of each the S739FB seems to be more about the video peformance while the A729B the music. Seems a little strange that the player with the bigger screen has less video peformance.

A729B - Video: Approx. Video Capacity
  • <LI class=listItem>at 384Kbps: 15 hrs
  • at 768Kbps: 8 hrs 30 mins
S739FB - Video: Approx. Video Capacity
  • <LI class=listItem>at 384Kbps: 61 hrs 40 mins
  • at 768Kbps: 35 hrs 10 mins

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 11-23-2008, 01:16 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The A72X series has a 2.5" screen, no fm tuner, no noise cancelling feature. The S73X series has a 2" screen, an FM tuner, and noise canceling (w/the included headphones ONLY). Both come w/a pretty decent pair of IEM's.

Old 11-23-2008, 09:31 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Ignore those music and video "specs", they play exactly the same video and music formats. Heck, bitrate is even a measurement for how much space a second of video will take up, its physically impossible that two players with the same capacity playing video with the same bitrate has different video capacity. Sony is being retarded like usual. See this for more info and youll see my point: http://www.anythingbutipod.com/archi...at-roundup.php

I have both here (or rather a A828 and a S638, same design and ~specs as A729 and S639). I can't live without BT on my A828 so thats simple for me. The S638 is very thin but the buttons are way better on the A820. The screen on the S638 looks better because it the same resolution on a smaller physical screen, but I frankly prefer the bigger screen on the A820. Noice cancellation is utterly useless, I had a S718 (first player with noice cancellation) and the earbuds are so annoying to wear its not worth it - besides you're better off with better isolating IEMs. SensMe on the new S730 and S630 is also useless, it picks songs based on BPM and the result is as random as the shuffle feature. The most useful additions to the new S series is podcast feature which lets you add video and audio podcasts to their own menu and a theming feature 8which i use to get a black bacground, so "useful")

What it really comes down to, usefullness wise, is:
S739: Radio, smaller, podcast function
A729: Bigger screen, better buttons

As I said, I use the A828 for BT. If I didnt care for BT, I'd most likely use the S638 since im a podcast freak and its smaller.

Old 11-23-2008, 11:23 AM
Ultra Senior Member

hmm, missed the podcast thing myself. Is it good w/the video podcasts as well?

Old 11-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Visiting troll from Pocketables

Yeah it works for video podcasts. Now if sony could just release a BT enabled player with that feature...

Old 11-23-2008, 11:42 PM

Just thought I'd comment that I disagree with cptnodegard regarding the s739. I have it as we don't get the s639 in Australia, and I wanted 16g, so it was really the only option other than the much more expensive A729. However I actually think the noise cancelling works really well. certainly works heaps good on the bus and stuff, and I can listen to the player turned right down. Headphones are just as comfy as any normal in-ear headphones in my opinion. However if the s639 was considerably cheaper I would consider loosing this function prehaps.

However I would really miss the Sensme- I find it works really well. With my varied library of about 3200 tracks it works great. I guess it is about 95% correct on average, so maybe one in 20 songs is not really catergorised right. SensMe does more than just looking at the bpm. The lounge option really seems to work, and the upbeat and energentic ones are great for the ride to work. The 'time of the day' one is a nice touch too. I would consider this feature alone is worth it other other models.

I went for this one over the a729 as small and portable was more of a priority than the screen and video viewing, and BT didn't interest me due to the 'alleged' reduced sound quality.

Obviously that's only my opinion, but there you go......

Old 11-29-2008, 05:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback, its been a struggle to find a shop that stores exactly the mp3 player I want. Decided to look at a Creative Zen Mozaic but can't find a 8GB version close to where I live, might get her a IRiver E100 as its cheap and has all the features my sister would like, and at least I can get one in a store thats close. I probably have a E100 next week sometime as a replacement for my X20 which died, so I'll be able to see what there like.

Old 12-15-2008, 04:22 AM

I got her a IRiver E100 as its was available and cheap, but ironically have got myself a Sony S739F as a replacement for my IRiver X20 which died. Can't belive how tiny it is even compared to my old X20. Hopefully it last a bit longer too.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I just hope that when your sis tries the Sony, she doesn't kill you for getting her the crappy sounding player. Between the 2, the iriver e100 gets blown away in the SQ dept. As for the S739, good choice, enjoy the great SQ!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 08:26 AM

Hi!
I don't want to open another thread, so excuse me for asking here:
Is Sony planning a 32 GB version of their S730\S630\A820 models?

I'm into buying one (currently have A816 and I am extremely happy with it, aside from just 4GB), and I am targeting at 16GB+ capacity so it would be nice to know when are they coming out. Can we expect something at the beginning of 2009 ?
Thanks

Old 12-15-2008, 12:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Only player that's rumored to be hitting 32gb is the as of yet unannounced touch screen walkman. Were all waiting for info on that 1, and the current lineup is staying @16gb, AFAIK.

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37448

Last edited by The DarkSide; 12-15-2008 at 12:02 PM. Reason: added info, of course

Old 12-15-2008, 02:38 PM

Thanks for the info, I know about that touch Sony, but I don't even like touch controls. Tried it on a cell phone - and no thanks

Anyway, it looks like I'm gonna get myself a S739F. Does anyone know how good are his NC earbuds? Comparable to EX-082 (S630) in terms of sound quality?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The DarkSide View Post
Only player that's rumored to be hitting 32gb is the as of yet unannounced touch screen walkman. Were all waiting for info on that 1, and the current lineup is staying @16gb, AFAIK.

http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37448

You seem to know quite a bit about what's going on in the world of mp3s and such.

My $1,000,000 question now:

Sony Walkman NWZ-1000?

or

Samsung P3?

What're you reasons?

Old 01-21-2009, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeth006 View Post
You seem to know quite a bit about what's going on in the world of mp3s and such.

My $1,000,000 question now:

Sony Walkman NWZ-1000?

or

Samsung P3?

What're you reasons?
IMHO Sony for me.. since I dont like the Samsung interface.. i trusted walkman and I used walkman so thats the way it is.. I like its solid easy to use interface as off samsung's eyecandy interface... SQ wise I dont know.. but Im pretty sure that both have good SQ.. if the p3 has better SQ i'll get the p3 and have to adjust with the interface.. If the sony has better SQ.... thank god.... for the solid interface and great SQ... I am also taking the S9 as a considereation for my next player