android
Old 12-18-2008, 05:25 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Default Slot music player, anyone get one yet?

Was curious if anyone has gotten a slot music player yet, and if so how do they like it, i was thinking of getting one to play around with

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-18-2008, 05:59 PM
ABI Invaluable

Did you read the review here.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-19-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgb52 View Post
Was curious if anyone has gotten a slot music player yet, and if so how do they like it, i was thinking of getting one to play around with
Yep, several weeks ago. I mostly got it to play with, I haven't bought any SlotMusic cards yet; I haven't found one I was interested in.

The sound is decent, although not quite as good as my other players. It plays the songs in folder\filename alphabetical order; there is no shuffle mode. It would make a good gym or work player.

Old 12-19-2008, 08:47 AM

I won't at any price. The slot cards are proprietary format and that's a curse word to me.

Old 12-19-2008, 09:06 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
I won't at any price. The slot cards are proprietary format and that's a curse word to me.
Why do you say that? What evidence do you have?

The post before yours talks about the sound quality of the player but jkj1962 hasn't bought any of the slot music specific cards. Presumably using a standard microSD card.

In another thread, the quality of the music on the cards is mentioned. The cards were played in a Fuze (I think). That means the cards are compatible with other players.

Personally I see absolutely nothing proprietary about the Slot Music player and cards. Except maybe the player covers.

Steve

Old 12-19-2008, 09:18 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc View Post
Proprietary? They're not proprietary......they're microsdhc cards with 320kbps MP3 music on them.....MP3 is the opposite of "proprietary" and there's many devices, including a butt-load of cellphones, that have micro-slots

Old 12-19-2008, 09:21 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeZ5 View Post
Why do you say that? What evidence do you have?

The post before yours talks about the sound quality of the player but jkj1962 hasn't bought any of the slot music specific cards. Presumably using a standard microSD card.

In another thread, the quality of the music on the cards is mentioned. The cards were played in a Fuze (I think). That means the cards are compatible with other players.

Personally I see absolutely nothing proprietary about the Slot Music player and cards. Except maybe the player covers.

Steve
You are correct sir!

Old 12-19-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Proprietary? They're not proprietary......they're microsdhc cards with 320kbps MP3 music on them.....MP3 is the opposite of "proprietary" and there's many devices, including a butt-load of cellphones, that have micro-slots
Not to mention the fact that the cards come with a USB reader that allows the music to be transferred to or played on a PC.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I bought one of these. I wanted a new AAA based player to play podcasts. The sound quality playing music is much worse than the Clip or the Fuze. There seems to be no way to navigate on this besides one file at a time. I hope Sandisk comes out with a premium Slotmusic player that has sound quality equal to the Clip and a basic text display. Even though this player is cheap, it is disappointing. I wanted a AAA based player with a card slot, and didn't see any better choices(I didn't want to get a Shaker). Don't buy this player. Get a Clip or fuze, and if you want a AAA battery based player, get a Sandisk m250 V2, or a Creative Nano, Nano Plus or V100.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:49 PM

I saw a new type of SlotMusic player, one which incorporates an OLED screen. If it is true, though, that the current SM player doesn't have a Shuffle feature, count me out.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewislink View Post
I saw a new type of SlotMusic player, one which incorporates an OLED screen. If it is true, though, that the current SM player doesn't have a Shuffle feature, count me out.
There is no shuffle , which is why I wouldn't consider it either.

Old 01-10-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
There is no shuffle , which is why I wouldn't consider it either.
That's unfortunate and no way to design a music playing device.

That's akin to eating one thing at a time in a multi-course meal. First you eat the meat, then eat the vegetable, then eat the potatoes, then eat the bread, then eat the desert.

Old 01-19-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:

That's akin to eating one thing at a time in a multi-course meal. First you eat the meat, then eat the vegetable, then eat the potatoes, then eat the bread, then eat the desert.
I have put together a little program in vb.net I'm calling 'sLot Shuffle which will allow you to shuffle the songs on your slot music player at the time you load the microsd card (obviously no shuffle on the go, but better than nothing i say!)

only thing is it will still resume where you left off if you have other songs on the card (but if you name your shuffle folder 00shuffle or something it will be the next folder played)

(if there is sufficient interest i would probably open source the code, but my code right now is kind-of crude as im a pretty new programmer) This is kind-of a beta so if you find a bug let me know! (though i have tested it many times on vista 64 i don't know about other systems yet)

anyhoo. enjoy
Attached Files
File Type: zip sLotShuffle1.3.zip (256.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by chromableed; 01-19-2009 at 06:18 PM.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:37 PM

I already have the fuze so there's no point for me to get it. Also I think the clip is a much better player than slotmusic.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:44 PM

That makes sense, I sell alot more of the Clip(and during q4 sales the fuze) but for me this was perfect, i have a cellphone where the headset/headphone jack is going out that used microSD so all my musics already on there.

To each his own i guess. I use an archos 605 for video so no need for a screen for me!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:45 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Just a heads up: Chromableed's shuffle app is virus free, just FYI. I scanned it with 21 different virus scanners.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkt View Post
Chromableed's shuffle app is virus free, just FYI. I scanned it with 21 different virus scanners.
21? I'm assuming you've used web scanners because wouldn't 21 make a computer very slow?

Old 01-19-2009, 06:54 PM
Ultra Senior Member

http://virusscan.jotti.org/

Old 01-19-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:

I'll have you know that's actually the way I eat. One thing at a time, so the tastes don't get mixed in.

Are you saying you don't save the desert for last?

As for the SMP/SRP, they're meant to be simple to operate for people that aren't familiar with digital music players. Those wanting shuffle obviously need something more, and should ignore them.