android
Old 01-14-2009, 07:05 AM

Help Good reference comparison songs?

Hello all

Yesterday my new Fuze 8gb arrived and I am very happy with it on the whole. The sound seems a bit more 'expansive' than my previous player, a Creative MuVo V200.

I'd like to test the two players together, as much for my own amusement as anything else. Although I have got plenty of music to try, I wonder what people would recommend as a kind of reference test that stresses the full audio spectrum of a player, to give a good idea of how it performs in all areas?

I know it's all totally subjective, but I'd like to listen to something on both players that is generally considered to be a good test so I know I'm not putting them head-to-head with something that any reasonable player would render well.

Any thoughts? It might be nice to have a database/list of recommended 'testing' songs here on ABI which people could use. Once again, I know everything is subjective, and if your own type of music sounds good then that is what matters, but as I said this is just for amusement/interest.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 01-14-2009, 10:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by melat0nin View Post
Hello all

Yesterday my new Fuze 8gb arrived and I am very happy with it on the whole. The sound seems a bit more 'expansive' than my previous player, a Creative MuVo V200.

I'd like to test the two players together, as much for my own amusement as anything else. Although I have got plenty of music to try, I wonder what people would recommend as a kind of reference test that stresses the full audio spectrum of a player, to give a good idea of how it performs in all areas?

I know it's all totally subjective, but I'd like to listen to something on both players that is generally considered to be a good test so I know I'm not putting them head-to-head with something that any reasonable player would render well.

Any thoughts? It might be nice to have a database/list of recommended 'testing' songs here on ABI which people could use. Once again, I know everything is subjective, and if your own type of music sounds good then that is what matters, but as I said this is just for amusement/interest.
Well, I haven't had to compare player vs. player, because mine sound the same.....but my headphone comparison stuff includes classical music, Radiohead, early Metallica, Tori Amos, Led Zeppelin, Wolfmother, Yes, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden.....but as you said, it is indeed totally subjective

Old 01-14-2009, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvin the Martian View Post
Well, I haven't had to compare player vs. player, because mine sound the same.....but my headphone comparison stuff includes classical music, Radiohead, early Metallica, Tori Amos, Led Zeppelin, Wolfmother, Yes, Pink Floyd, Iron Maiden.....but as you said, it is indeed totally subjective
Yeah I have lots of music, that's not really the problem, it's more knowing a specific track which is technically (as opposed to subjectively) a good test. In other words (I suppose), one which tests the highs, mids and lows, has lots of detail and dynamics, plenty of layering and texture (I suppose. I'm not an expert).

In the same way that you can test how good two cameras are by taking a photo of the same scene, even if that scene is not attractive, I wonder if there is an equivalent for audiophiles.

Perhaps it doesn't even have to be music, it could be a particular white/brown noise or something. Just anything that is produced such that it will expose differences between different audio setups.

Tags
compare, quality, songs, sound, spectrum