android
Old 12-04-2008, 01:25 AM

Thumb Down Sansa Fuze vs. Creative Zen vs. ???

Hi All,

I just stumbled across this website in the search for my perfect MP3 player, and I've learned an incredible amount just by browsing these fora. Thank you all for making this such a great website!

I've narrowed down my search to the Sansa Fuze and Creative Zen, but if there is something else that missed my radar somehow, please let me know! I'm looking for a player (with a expandible memory slot) that I can just throw music on, make up some playlists on my PC, and queue up a playlist on the go. My music collect is only about 5 GB right now, but I can see it growing in the future.

I find things to like about both the Fuze and the Zen. I like the Zen for its use of SD (rather than microSD) and mini-USB port, the nicer graphical interface, and the DJ features (I love the "rarely heard" feature on my Creative Zen Micro). On the other hand, I HATE Creative's software (MediaSource 5, which came with my Micro, was just plain awful, and I still can't scrub it completely from my computer. Once I updated the firmware to make the player MTP compatible, I never looked back). Couple of questions about the Zen: How easy is it to use one-handed? It looks tricky to hold and push buttons with the thumb, and doubly so if you like to use your left hand. Also, can the Calendar function sync with Google calendar? THat would be a huge plus.

On the Fuze, I LOVE the fact that the SD card integrates with the internal memory so nicely. If I make up a playlist, I assume I can mix tracks from the internal memory and the expansion card, right? If not, it's not a deal breaker-- I might just go with a lower-capacity Fuze (2 or 4 GB) and load up all my music on the expansion card, and save the internal memory for audiobooks and podcasts. I like that it's slightly smaller and its radio recording feature, and I really like the feel of that scroll wheel. (By the way, what does the "class" of an microSD card mean? What "class" do I need to store and play mp3 files?)

My main concern, though, is reliability. I indulge my inner gadget geek very rarely, so I need a player that will last a good, long time. My Creative Zen Micro, despite annoyances with the software, has been quite good to me for three years, but I see worrying signs that the hard drive is near the end of its journey. I've read that the Zen is prone to a "white screen of death", can anyone comment on that?

So, which player is right for me? The Fuze, the Zen, or something else? Right now I'm leaning toward the Fuze. Thanks in advance for all your help!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-04-2008, 05:24 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Instead of going into a very long description of the features of various players I giving you a link to the Compare database. This way you'll be able to see a few players and their specs side-by-side. If there are questions you may have afterwards, feel free to ask.

http://anythingbutipod.com/compare/c...2-vs-sony-a720

Old 12-05-2008, 12:50 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Without an expansion slot, the 8GB models will be too small for my growing collection, and the 16GB Samsung P2 and Sony are a bit too pricey for me. After reading the Zen X-Fi review, I realize that it's not (to me) worth the price increase. I'm no audiofile, I'd probably never notice the difference.

The D2, though.... that's real interesting. Browsing the fora here, I've read very good things about it. On the other hand, a 4GB D2 is about $30 more than an 8gb Fuze, and I don't think I'd ever use the advanced audio settings or even the video player. I still think the Fuze is the one for me.

Perhaps I should take this to the Fuze forum to ask further questions about the Fuze? I'm new here, so I don't want to break any rules about opening too many threads, or anything. Thanks again for the suggestions!

Old 12-05-2008, 01:05 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by forawesome View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. Without an expansion slot, the 8GB models will be too small for my growing collection, and the 16GB Samsung P2 and Sony are a bit too pricey for me. After reading the Zen X-Fi review, I realize that it's not (to me) worth the price increase. I'm no audiofile, I'd probably never notice the difference.

The D2, though.... that's real interesting. Browsing the fora here, I've read very good things about it. On the other hand, a 4GB D2 is about $30 more than an 8gb Fuze, and I don't think I'd ever use the advanced audio settings or even the video player. I still think the Fuze is the one for me.

Perhaps I should take this to the Fuze forum to ask further questions about the Fuze? I'm new here, so I don't want to break any rules about opening too many threads, or anything. Thanks again for the suggestions!
Ask away

Old 12-05-2008, 05:49 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Ask all the questions your heart desires, but just know that quite a few Fuze lovers COVET the D2!!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 10:42 AM
Ultra Senior Member

"On the other hand, a 4GB D2 is about $30 more than an 8gb Fuze,"

More like $50 now. The Fuze is being heavily discounted, while the 4 gig D2 has actually risen in price from its low very recently. i have the Fuze, and am now thinking I should have bought a D2. The thing I dislike about the Fuze most is browsing by tags only. The D2 browses by a choice of folders or tags. Editing and correcting tags is very annoying and time consuming. The much longer battery life on the D2 is also a big factor for some people. The 4,000 or so total song limit on the Fuze is a factor for some, though Sandisk said it will be corrected with a firmware update. The Fuze may be annoying to navigate on though if the amount of storage is large. Some talk about how monotonous it is rotating the wheel so much. While a Fuze may hold up to 24 gigs(16 gig card plus plus 8 gig internal memory), I think of the Fuze as being better suited for a music library of 4-12 gigs or so , and those who want more than 10 gigs or so of songs on a player should favor the D2.

Last edited by JK98; 12-05-2008 at 12:39 PM.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:30 AM

Hmm.. so do you Fuze owners covet the D2 for its interface, or for the features? Like I said, I'm no audiophile, so crystal-clear sound in wasted on me (I'm that guy who's happy enough with the bundled earbuds. ) Likewise, video playback is a non-issue. But, if the interface is several times better than that of the Fuze, that could be a big selling point.

I'll admit that the touch screen intrigues me, but I don't know how annoying it would get to use on a daily basis. I do like that it uses standard SD cards and a miniUSB port. I like to use my players one-handed, is the touch screen easy enough to hold one handed and use the thumb to select items?

About the Fuze, do you mean to tell me that the library will only recognize 4,000 tracks at a time? That would seem to make the expansion card a bit pointless, wouldn't it (if 8GB ~ 4,000 songs)?

Sorting my ID3 tags isn't too bad in my mind, I tend to organize everything by genre... so I can select a genre, then choose the track from that smaller selection, right? Even then, I rarely am looking for a specific track: I tend to use my MP3 player as if it were a bunch of small-capacity players duct-taped together: I make a bunch of playlists according to a mood or activity (driving, exercise, etc.) and just hit "random all" within the playlist.

That said, I can see how the scroll motion can get tiresome. Does the scroll accellerate when going through long lists? I beleive I read that it does not, but I'm not sure. I see there's a new firmware coming soon, maybe we'll see what that does for the Fuze...

In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes open for deals on the D2, but Newegg has the 8GB Fuze for $70 right now...

Thanks!

(PS: since no one has mentioned any reliability problems on either player, is it safe to assume they are both fairly reliable?)

Old 12-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Hmm.. so do you Fuze owners covet the D2 for its interface, or for the features? Like I said, I'm no audiophile, so crystal-clear sound in wasted on me (I'm that guy who's happy enough with the bundled earbuds. ) Likewise, video playback is a non-issue. But, if the interface is several times better than that of the Fuze, that could be a big selling point.
I'll admit that the touch screen intrigues me, but I don't know how annoying it would get to use on a daily basis. I do like that it uses standard SD cards and a miniUSB port. I like to use my players one-handed, is the touch screen easy enough to hold one handed and use the thumb to select items?
About the Fuze, do you mean to tell me that the library will only recognize 4,000 tracks at a time? That would seem to make the expansion card a bit pointless, wouldn't it (if 8GB ~ 4,000 songs)?
Sorting my ID3 tags isn't too bad in my mind, I tend to organize everything by genre... so I can select a genre, then choose the track from that smaller selection, right? Even then, I rarely am looking for a specific track: I tend to use my MP3 player as if it were a bunch of small-capacity players duct-taped together: I make a bunch of playlists according to a mood or activity (driving, exercise, etc.) and just hit "random all" within the playlist.
That said, I can see how the scroll motion can get tiresome. Does the scroll accellerate when going through long lists? I beleive I read that it does not, but I'm not sure. I see there's a new firmware coming soon, maybe we'll see what that does for the Fuze...
In the meantime, I'll keep my eyes open for deals on the D2, but Newegg has the 8GB Fuze for $70 right now...
Thanks!
(PS: since no one has mentioned any reliability problems on either player, is it safe to assume they are both fairly reliable?)
I've never tried one(D2), so I don't know really about the interface, but the sound quality, the sound enhancement options, the bigger SD cards are cheaper at larger capacity than the micros, there's more total capacity available, the battery life is double(or more) the Fuze....and the video I understand to be much better than the Fuze(screen's a little bigger too) .

Right now, the Fuze has a 4,120 file limit, but that depends on your length-of-song and bitrate. With around 20gb total music I'm just barely over 4,000 files. If I seperate the stuff I never listen to, that leaves me with 16GB, 3,297 files(not counting some concert downloads) So this limit hasn't impacted me at all, but it is on their list of firmware corrections...either the imminent one or the next one. You can choose to navigate through artist list, album list, genre list, so as not to have to scroll through 1,000's of songs...a simple work-around, I think. I can't speak much on playlists , 'cause I don't make them, but they can be made. The scrolling doesn't currently accelerate, but as I said, you can work around this.
Reliability-I've had hardly any problems with my Fuze, nothing a soft reset didn't cure. As far as I know, the current firmwares for the D2 have cured early issues with it. Actual D2 owners(as opposed to a wannabe like me) please correct me if necessary on my thoughts on it.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:18 AM

Thanks for the info. While the reasons you give for the D2 certainly make sense, I don't think that, for my needs, they justify the price. I just don't think I would notice the better sound quality or use the video capabilities. Using standard SD cards, and the longer battery life, are nice, but not enough for the higher price tag.

I think I'm gonna get a Fuze after all. I mean, it's not a *bad* player, right?

Thanks again!

Old 12-06-2008, 12:22 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. While the reasons you give for the D2 certainly make sense, I don't think that, for my needs, they justify the price. I just don't think I would notice the better sound quality or use the video capabilities. Using standard SD cards, and the longer battery life, are nice, but not enough for the higher price tag.

I think I'm gonna get a Fuze after all. I mean, it's not a *bad* player, right?
Nope, it's not at all . I love mine, and even when I get a D2
(I will, at some point, even if I gotta rob the Tooth Fairy ) I'll still keep and enjoy my Fuze
Edit- see that avatar pic? watch out Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, etc....lol
Edit much later- there will be no D2 unless I win the lottery. I have decided it would be more prudent to stick with what I have, they provide great sound as it is. Will I get better headphones and an amp? Perhaps....

Last edited by Marvin the Martian; 01-02-2009 at 12:28 PM.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:05 AM

Now, that sounds like a plan. Thanks again for all the help!

Old 01-02-2009, 12:22 PM

Instead of creating another thread I would like to use this one to try to solve my doubts.

Recently I bought a Zen X-FI 8GB because I thought the sound quality would be awesome.
To tell the truth I prefer my old Sony CD Walkman D-NE520 ...

Does any one know if Fuze's sound quality is better then the x-fi's ?

I've got the Sennnheiser cx-300 and the Creative's EP-830 at home, and to be honest I believe the Creative's just suck when comparing them.

The problem is that the cx-300 are completely destroyed (my fault ), and I've got 2 options.

Buying a Fuze 8Gb + Sennheiser cx-300 or cx-400 or stick with the zen x-fi...

The Zen x-fi cost me 149.99 and the Fuze + Sennheiser ear-in phones would cost me the same (I've got some day's to switch them at the store).

Does anyone has any suggestions please?

Thank you very much,
sovesky

Old 01-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sovesky View Post
Instead of creating another thread I would like to use this one to try to solve my doubts.

Recently I bought a Zen X-FI 8GB because I thought the sound quality would be awesome.
To tell the truth I prefer my old Sony CD Walkman D-NE520 ...

Does any one know if Fuze's sound quality is better then the x-fi's ?

I've got the Sennnheiser cx-300 and the Creative's EP-830 at home, and to be honest I believe the Creative's just suck when comparing them.

The problem is that the cx-300 are completely destroyed (my fault ), and I've got 2 options.

Buying a Fuze 8Gb + Sennheiser cx-300 or cx-400 or stick with the zen x-fi...

The Zen x-fi cost me 149.99 and the Fuze + Sennheiser ear-in phones would cost me the same (I've got some day's to switch them at the store).

Does anyone has any suggestions please?

Thank you very much,
sovesky
Go w/the Fuze, it's the better sounding of the 2. And you really cant beat the Fuze + great hp's combo IMO.

Old 01-08-2009, 02:10 PM

I have a Zen...

One handed it can be pretty difficult to navigate about the interface, which is one thing ipod got right IMO.

I've now had the Zen for just under a year now and it has been extremely durable. My only real problem with it is its battery life. I pretty much have been forced to turn the brightness to about 10% in order to conserve.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:56 AM

After much reading/research I opted for the ********
I think the 32GB will be more than enough, certainly for my mp3 collection. This is to be used riding my motorcycle mostly day trips but also a few mult day rides/year. It appears to have good 20+ hour battery life.
I like my Sansa 4GB and Sansa 8GB but didn't trust the Sansa 16GB after reading about poor battery life. I'll continue to use the Sansas as back ups on multi day motorcycle rides but plan to use the new Zen most of the time.
Thanks for all the info at this great site!

Steve

Last edited by The DarkSide; 01-11-2009 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Turned the post into spam.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Steve, if you prefer the opinion of cnet, why even bother asking our opinions? I'm just asking is all.
Now, I'm glad you love the Zen, but please keep the advertisements out of the post. And enjoy the new toy.

Thanks,
tds01

Tags
comparison, fuze, zen