android
Old 12-07-2008, 12:59 AM

Cool c250v1 - surprisingly good Rockbox experience!

I just now received one of the super-cheap, free-shipping refurbished/recertified 2GB c250's, with the first plan in my mind being to Rockbox it immediately upon arrival.

I did so and, surprisingly, I'm having a much better time with it than either of my Rockboxed e200 players! (The last time I Rockboxed anything before that was an Archos JBR v2, which should give you an idea how long it's been.) The c250 has very rapid startup (in either firmware) and buttons that are a bit easier to use than the e200 players'. It also responds in an intelligent and very quick way when the USB cable is connected while it's in Rockbox - it quickly switches over to the original firmware so that the USB will actually work.

I haven't tried the photo or video functions yet - the screen is kind of silly and small for that IMHO - and I'm also wondering, did I actually see this player charging in Rockbox when connected to a USB cable and wall adapter? (I know the e200's don't do that because there was some worry about just the right way to charge a Li-poly battery.)

The Rockbox install was fast and painless with the official Rockbox installer in my experience. Next to discovering the Clip's awesome sound quality (again with a cheapy refurb), this is the best time I've had with a Sansa player yet!

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-07-2008, 01:32 AM
Ultra Senior Member

The charging may or may not work, but most likely it will not tho.

Have fun with Rockbox. I like it on my e280.

Old 12-08-2008, 05:58 AM

Yeah, I recall they said they explicitly disallowed it on the e200 series Rockbox (at least initially) because mishandled Li-poly batteries tend to catch fire.

I see there's a patch that enables charging on both the e200 and c200... but since I don't know how to apply Rockbox patches, I'll just wait patiently until 3.1 comes out. It's claimed that that will support charging...

Old 12-08-2008, 06:19 AM
Ultra Senior Member

I have not heard anything like that, but I think someone from Rockbox might know tho. There is a few of the Rockbox Devs and Staff people on this forum too.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:03 AM

Microwiz, nice to hear you’re enjoying the c250, sounds like a fun player. Do both fw’s boot fast or just the rockboxed version? With my e260 the OF boots in 30 seconds fully loaded, but rockbox fully loaded boots very fast and runs great. I still charge and load via OF, but look forward to any upcomming changes.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-09-2008, 09:28 PM

I've been enjoying Rockbox on my c240 for around 3 months now. So much so, I bought 2 more as back ups from Amazon. For under $30 per unit, and the low cost of 8GB micro sd cards from Newegg, it is hard to beat such a great little rig

Old 12-29-2008, 07:03 PM

Smile Yes, you can charge the C200/240 with Rockbox installed

Quote:
Originally Posted by microwiz View Post
I haven't tried the photo or video functions yet - the screen is kind of silly and small for that IMHO - and I'm also wondering, did I actually see this player charging in Rockbox when connected to a USB cable and wall adapter?
I have a home/wall/AC charger for the C240, with the latest update/upgrade of Rockbox on it. I have successfully charged the unit using both the USB-computer cable, and the wall charger, using the following procedure. If Rockbox is active on the unit, turn the unit off. (You can't charge the unit while it's running in the Rockbox OS.) With the unit turned off, plug in the charger (either one), and the Rockbox startup screen will flash, then disappear. The unit's display will then revert to the built-in Sansa OS screen and charging will proceed. If you use the wall charger (not the USB), you can listen to your MP3s/WMAs while the unit is in native (Sansa) mode and charging at the same time. If you plug either type charger in while Rockbox is active, it will look like it's charging, but it won't, even though all other Rockbox functions will work. Also, just today I have watched videos, using the free WinFF (http://winff.software.informer.com/), following the instructions in the well-done guide at http://www.anythingbutipod.com/forum...ad.php?t=27602 . Although the picture is really small, you can still enjoy a video on the C200/240 unit, something I didn't think was possible until today. But then I didn't think Rockbox was possible until just a week ago. HTH Frank D

Tags
c250, fun, rockbox, sansa c250, surprising