android
Go Back   abi>>forums > MP3 Players By Brand > Creative > Zen Micro

Old 12-09-2008, 09:58 AM

Default MicroPhoto 8GB - Freeze during file copy - WPDMTP error

Hi.

Iíve got a Zen Creative MicroPhoto, and Iíve ran into problems copying files from it.
I can connect it to my PC and brows the player, both in Windows Explorer, Media player and Creative Organizer.
I can copy files to the player, but _almost_ always when I copy files from the player to the PC it hangs. I can sometimes (maybe 1 in 10) copy a file to the PC, but most of the times even the first file makes the copy process hang.

In the Windows System log I get this error:
-------------------------------
Event Type: Error
Event Source: WPDMTPDriver
Event Category: (48)
Event ID: 15301
Date: 09.12.2008
Time: 15:29:22
User: N/A
Computer: COMPNAME1234
Description:
MTP USB Driver has detected that the device has failed to respond to the operation 0x1009 in 5 minutes, which resulted in an attempt to cancel the operation. Error 0x802a0006.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
-------------------------------
The dialogue box warning me about the error says:
ďError Copying File or FolderĒ
ďThe handle is invalidĒ

Iím running XP Professional SP2.
Iím running WMP 11. I downgraded to WMP 9 and nothing changed. I tired to install WMP 10 but could not (Windos said it was not compatible), so I reinstalled 11.
Iíve installed a WMP 11 patch that addresses some MTP issues - windowsmedia11-kb935552-x86-intl.exe.
Iím running Creative Organizer 5, and have just reinstalled it (Oregenizer - CMS5_PCAPP_LB_5_10_38.exe).
Iíve updated the driver in the device manager.
Iíve uninstalled the driver in the device manager.
Iíve started the player in rescue mode (or whatís the name?) and done all actions on that menu twice, except the formatting (I want some files that is on the player)
Iíve tried the following firmares:
ZENMicroPhoto_PCFW_16_1_30_04.exe
ZENMicroPhoto_PCFW_L16_1_31_01.exe
ZenMicroPhotoP4S_PCFW_LB_1_20_01.exe
Iíve tried setting the powersaving property on the USB hubs in the device manager.

Seems like I have a USB port driver problem, but canít quite seem to find out what I need to do to fix it. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
-Terry

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Welcome TerryTee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryTee View Post
MTP USB Driver has detected that the device has failed to respond to the operation 0x1009 in 5 minutes, which resulted in an attempt to cancel the operation. Error 0x802a0006.
Do you have this problem when using another computer? You need to find out if the problem carries with the Zen or just within this computer.

Make sure you are using the USB ports in the back of the computer (the ports integrated into the motherboard).

Quote:
I downgraded to WMP 9 and nothing changed. I tired to install WMP 10 but could not (Windos said it was not compatible), so I reinstalled 11.
Make sure you also removed the WMP11 runtimes. Follow the directions from the link below on how to completely remove WMP11 and then try installing WMP10.

Microsoft's Knowledge Base article on how to remove WMP11 on XP here.

Zen FAQ

Old 12-12-2008, 12:24 AM

Hi Bobby
Thanks for the welcome and the input.

I’ve removed MWP 11, but nothing changed.

I’m using a laptop, and the same error occurs with all three USB ports. I’ve used this laptop before, so the ports themselves can handle to power needed unless limited by a new driver.

I tried on a desktop that I have not used before, and I got the exact same error as described in my first post, no matter which USB port I used.

I assumed this was a PC-problem, but not it seems to b e a ZMP problem…

So, is reformatting the whole thing pretty much my only option now?

Thanks,
-Terry

Old 12-12-2008, 07:31 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Quote:
Hi Bobby
Thanks for the welcome and the input.
No problem.

Quote:
Iíve removed MWP 11, but nothing changed.
What version did WMP revert back too; WMP9 or WMP10?

Quote:
Iím using a laptop, and the same error occurs with all three USB ports. Iíve used this laptop before, so the ports themselves can handle to power needed unless limited by a new driver.

I tried on a desktop that I have not used before, and I got the exact same error as described in my first post, no matter which USB port I used.
Keep in mind that the OS on these computers need to be MTP compatible or the Zen will not be recognized correctly or have the driver install; which means that WMP10 or WMP11 needs to at least be installed if it is WinXP.

Quote:
I assumed this was a PC-problem, but not it seems to b e a ZMP problemÖ

So, is reformatting the whole thing pretty much my only option now?
So, the other two computers had/did the exact same issue as the first with its driver and the error stated in Event Viewer?

Zen FAQ

Old 12-15-2008, 10:58 AM

I normally use a laptop with XP professional, and all my trial and error has been on that laptop (my first post).
To isolate the error on your recommendation, Bobby, I tried a desktop as well with WMP 11 – and I got the exact same behavior and error messages. I was surprised by that as I assued it was locally on my laptop…

Anyway – WMP reverted back to 9 when I uninstalled 11.

On both computers the device is detected just fine. I can browse it and find music files. Some times I can manage to copy a file or two, but most of the time the copy process freezes just after it has started and hangs for 5 minutes – resulting in the MPDMTP Driver error.

-Terry

Old 12-15-2008, 11:56 AM
Ultra Senior Member

First boot into Recovery Mode and do a Cleanup. This will help ensure that the Zen's database is running correctly and allow for proper enumeration (driver loading).

To boot into Recovery Mode:

1. Remove the battery.
2. Slide and hold the power switch in the ON position.
3. While still holding the power switch in the ON position, insert the battery.
4. Hold the power switch ON until you see the Recovery Mode menu.
5. Select Cleanup from the Menu.

In order for WinXP to be MTP compliant, it needs to have at least WMP10 installed; WMP9 will not work. Since you were having issue with WMP11/MTP, perhaps installing WMP10 now to see if you get a different result.

Zen FAQ

Tags
file copy, freeze, mtp, wpdmtp