android
Old 12-08-2008, 09:25 AM

Default Need a new mp3 player

This is not a real original request, but I need some help here. For 3 or so years I have been well served by my Toshiba gigabeat f40 (which kept going strong, only problem was the controls had started to randomly go off lately). Until recently when I was staying in a tent, which flooded, and my gigabeat disappeared, much to my dismay. I am going on an overseas trip in a few weeks, so a new mp3 player is absolutely vital, the only problem is the choice.

I want something that plays music and video (which is radical), but I need more than 35 gb of space to fit my entire music collection on (I am no fan of music swapping). I would also like wireless, but if need be I can drop that, as long as there is some other nifty feature (at least fm radio recording).

The Zune looks good, but is mighty difficult get a hold of in australia, especially for a decent price (as in, cheaper than the ipod). I have also considered the ipod classic, but it seems overpriced for what you get. The X series gigabeat looks nice, but a heap more expensive than a comparable ipod from what I can see.

I don't mind getting a smaller one with expansion slots, as long as I get enough space cheaply enough in the end. I considered the D2, but with a 32gb expansion card it is more expensive than an imported zune over here. So I am stuck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 12-08-2008, 10:28 AM

Welcome to abi GaryGary. I know you can get Creative on the down under side of the world. You could try a Zen or X-fi, the 32gb models may hold enough for your needs and you can always use Sd cards for video. The Archos 5 maybe another option to check out but it is a bit larger.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:20 PM

Thanks, the Zen and Xfi look good, I would be very happy with one of those, the only problem is they end up costing me more than an imported Zune for the 32gb ones, and if i get a smaller one with an SD card it is still too much. I can get players from other countries, as long as they're on amazon. Archos 5 also looks perfect, but again, too expensive. Size is not an issue.

Old 12-08-2008, 09:33 PM

GaryGary, besides the ipod (which you stated) what are the brands that are available there to choose from within your budget?

btw, we have other members from australia that pop in once in a while, hopefully they'll see your thread.

abi >> | Forum Rules | Glossary | Why Rockbox | FLAC or MP3? | irc

Old 12-09-2008, 12:00 AM

Well thats kind of what I was wondering, I can't really find anything around. I can get stuff off Amazon, but with $US10 for shipping more. So basically I am looking at either something that sells for less than $225 US, or less than $365 AU. Toshiba, Samsung, Iriver, Sony, Creative (as mentioned before) all sell in Australia, meaning that I can 'usually' get them cheaper than ones I have to import. I can't find anything in my price range with what I want from those brands though. Archos are also availible, but for heinously inflated prices.

Also, for any Australians that have gone through it before, are their any other costs or dangers I need to factor in apart from shipping when ordering an mp3 player from overseas?

Old 12-09-2008, 01:25 PM

GaryGary dont u have Cowon D2s in australia... We've got D2s here in NZ.. u can buy a 16gb d2 and buy and 16Gb sd card.. ITs not 35Gb but its close enough. OR buy a 32Gb SD card

Edit: Sorry For the late Welcome to abi

Last edited by jjrosaria; 12-11-2008 at 01:03 AM.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:10 PM

I've borrowed the Sony NW 828 for the fourth time from a friend a while ago and I must say if I didn't have my D2 this would be my choice. It has a very decent sound quality, a beautiful interface and a very stable operating system. Try before you buy, but it's a nice player.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:28 PM

Yeah I can get a D2, problem is a 16Gb D2 over here costs the same as a 120 Gb Ipod classic, and if it came down to it I would have to go for the ipod with its extra space, as much as I would hate myself for doing so. The Sony NW 828 looks good, it has all the features I need and is in my price range but it's just not big enough, and without an option to expand it I am stuck. Thanks for the suggestions though.

At the moment it looks like the Ipod is unfortunately the best choice, unless I can find an alternative or get something else for the same price or less.

Old 12-10-2008, 10:46 PM

ok, but IMO if u really want a great player I'll still stick with the d2 and earn some more money and get a 16gb SD card. I was gonna go with the same approach as u before but I'm glad that I didnt. THe ipod Classic just wont cut when u compare them with D2s and walkmans (I got a walkman and I listened to the d2 their both great). Its an invesment so u really have to shell out some money but its a worthwhile invesment and will give u long listening hapiness.

This is just my opinion but if u really plan on sticking to ipods its ur choice

Good luck with ur choice

Last edited by jjrosaria; 12-10-2008 at 11:09 PM.

Old 12-11-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGary View Post
Yeah I can get a D2, problem is a 16Gb D2 over here costs the same as a 120 Gb Ipod classic, and if it came down to it I would have to go for the ipod with its extra space, as much as I would hate myself for doing so...
...At the moment it looks like the Ipod is unfortunately the best choice, unless I can find an alternative or get something else for the same price or less.
Hey, im from Aus, or as no9 says 'the down under side of the world"

I had this exact problem. I managed to nab myself a ZVM, and it sorta won't connect to my computer anymore. Anyway, I wanted a replacement. I know where I live, there was nothing reasonable but ipods. I could by other players, but they were just flash-based stick players, and I needed more. Long story short, I could not find anything that I could afford locally that wasn't Ipod. So I went with the Ipod classic, not the best SQ, but what can you do when you have no choice?

But the point is, I don't think any other players are available in Australia in mass. It really sucks, doesn't it? I wanted an archos, but there were none here or anywhere around here...
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 12-11-2008, 07:00 AM

Lightbulb

I started a user group where hopefully people from the southern hemisphere can get together and help each other out, so that what happened to copeys doesn't have to happen to anyone else Spread the word to your countrymen

Old 12-12-2008, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no9 View Post
I started a user group where hopefully people from the southern hemisphere can get together and help each other out, so that what happened to copeys doesn't have to happen to anyone else Spread the word to your countrymen
I think it's too late... we have all become apart of imania, save youselves!!!

Nice idea though, hopefully in the future you'll be able to redirect people there so they can discuss their (limited) options!
Or this: A glossary for newbies
-Stuart, Twitter

Old 12-12-2008, 06:43 PM

Well thanks for all the help, looks like if I want to get one before I go overseas I am really stuck with the ipod. I think I may just have to just harden up and go without, then order in a Zune when I get back. Even though it costs an extra $40 and is a heap harder to get a hold of, it seems worth it. To anyone who's used both an ipod and a Zune, is a Zune worth the $40 more?

Old 12-12-2008, 11:49 PM

I dont have a zune nor an ipod but.. yeah.. The Zune IMAO is worth it

Old 12-13-2008, 05:52 AM
Ultra Senior Member

Get the Zune, you'll be happy you did!!!

Tags
32gb, australia, large capacity, new player