android
Old 05-14-2008, 04:20 PM

Default AAC support? Opinions?

Hi,

I'm just wondering where things stand with the Cowon D2 as far as AAC playback? I believe the review here said that AAC was supported and than dropped. No reason was given. I'm wondering if they have or plan to include this again. I opted a while back to encode my music in AAC. About 1/3 of it I could rerip to another format, but the rest I'd be out of luck. I wouldn't want to re-encode the AAC files as I know that going from one lossy compression to another only compounds the degration of sound quality due to differing algorithms. So whats the latest on this? I'm trying to decide if I should just write the D2 off my list. It would be a shame seeing as it appears to have everything else I need in a player and has it right now. I'm sure the features will arrive in other players but probably not for a while...and I'm tired of waiting.

FYI, I've been debating between a P2 or a D2 and due to the need for extra space I'll most likely be waiting for the 16GB versions of both if I go this route. The D2 really has me interested because of the extra SDHD slot. I have a TON of SDHD cards laying around in my house for my DSLR and adding a 32GB card would be useful for both devices. Although, I've been tempted to just go with a HDD based player (Zune 80) because I need space due to a combination of using higher bitrates and having a rather large collection that just seems to grow to fast. But obviously there are downsides to an HDD player. I almost feel like I'd be doing myself an injustice to buy a HDD player now as I think the flash based players are progressing quickly and what I need might be on the market soon. I'd be very happy with anywhere in the 30-40GB range. The only reason I'm considering the P2 is I've been able to use one and I enjoyed the interface, I think it is dead sexy, the bluetooth feature that ties into your cellphone would actually be something I could use, overall gets great reviews, and seems to be getting great/consistent support from samsung through firmware ungrades (VERY important). The only thing I dislike about it is the storage size. Even with the 16GB version I'll be resorting to carrying only some of my collection. An expansion slot would have made me already buy the P2. The D2 seems to carry many features of the P2 with it's only advantages, but also certain disadvantages such as no bluetooth, not quite as good firmware support (at least it seems that way to me), and I've heard the touch interface isn't quite as refined. The money really isn't the big concern to me. If the touch would have offered a expansion slot I would have bought one of those even if they are overly priced. I guess the whole idea for all these companies is to make you buy a player now and soon enough they will come out with the EXACT same player but this time with 32GB+ internal memory for a similar price point. It's a great way for them to keep the consumers buying, but I have to say I don't appreciate there approach as it takes hard earned dollars out of my hand. And for what? No addition features...just them swapping in a new flash drive which they could have made user accessable in the first place.

OK my rants over.
Feel free to give me your opinions.
I'm no good at making choices myself.

Advertisement [Remove Advertisement]

Old 05-18-2008, 09:29 AM

There doesn't seem to be anything that points towards AAC being readded to the D2, I think it's pretty safe to assume that it's gone forever.
(I'm guessing to save memory for other stuff, or over some kind of legal issue.)

The other player you're looking into, the Samsung P2, doesn't support AAC either, though.

For me, the D2 was an easy pick because of the wide array of supported formats (MP3, Ogg Vorbis, WMA, FLAC, APE, WAV, Audible for audio), together with a good screen for video clips, SDHC support and good battery life.

The P2 does look slicker, and probably has a more refined firmware, but it does have severely limited format support (MP3, WMA for audio).

Old 05-18-2008, 10:54 AM

The D2 and P2 both come in 16gb... If you live in America.

The D2 has superior sound quality and a bigger amp (if you use cans, that's a really good thing)

When I get sad, I stop being sad and be awesome again. True story. -Barney Stinson

Old 05-18-2008, 09:03 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Where did you get a 16gb P2 in the US? AFAIK its still not available in the states (& I've looked me'self!!!).

Old 05-18-2008, 09:15 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Good news!

I just tried an AAC file again on the D2 - firmware 2.55 plays AAC.

Files need to be named *.aac, *.m4a doesn't work. unfortunately, the D2 doesn't read AAC tags - only the file name is displayed. The file I tried was 128 kbps, encoded with MPEG-4 AAC iTunes v4.7.1.30, QuickTime 6.5.2.

Now this is really curious... they certainly ditched AAC support after firmware 2.21, why would it work again in 2.55? And why no word from Cowon about this?

Old 05-22-2008, 10:27 AM

To say I'm EXTREMELY interested in these findings would be an understatement. Perhaps a few more people can try this out and see what happens for them as well.

I'm in the process of trying to replace any music I really want that is in aac to something else. All my CD collection was ripped in at 320kbps aac but that should be a 2-3 day affair of swapping CD's in to change format...I can handle that. But I do have some 128 & 192kbps that I didn't get from CD's that would be nice to have the option of playing.

I really just don't get why, if they can support it, why they wouldn't. Maybe you all disagree, but I've been impressed with aac. No reason to let Apple and DRM ruin a perfectly good lossy format.

Old 05-22-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil penguin View Post
The other player you're looking into, the Samsung P2, doesn't support AAC either, though.
The Samsung P2 most certainly does support AAC.

http://www.anythingbutipod.com/compa...-samsung-yp-p2

For me it doesn't matter how many formats the Cowon supports as much as if it supports the formats I have or plan to use. Due to storage constraints of todays flash memory I don't think I'll be using much lossless formats, and if I do I'll pick one (no need for 3 or 4 lossless formats).

The other things that I'm concerned about with the D2 is this folder/file number limit. I'd be getting a 16GB version and looking at using another 16GB card at the least. I'm mostly concerned with the folder limit...how does this work? If I have an artist folder with 5 albums in it does that count as 6 folders? I'm concerned about this because I tend to have a good deal of 1 artist, 1 album, and 1 song file structures.

Old 12-08-2008, 02:54 PM

Did anyone get anymore info about this? I don't have any aac files to test yet, but does it still work in version 2.57? And what encoder gives the *.aac extention rather than the *.m4a extention?

Old 12-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Ultra Senior Member

2.57 supports AAC. You change the file extension manually, or with a batch script.

I hope you're not going to encode files on purpose to (unsupported) AAC when you have a D2.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:00 PM

I wonder if thats an over looked mistake. I mean do they really expect Grandma to know she has to change a file extension to something specific?

Also someone needs to update thier spec sheet for them.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:01 PM
Ultra Senior Member

It is not supported by Cowon. That's why it's not on their website or anywhere else. It's something not a lot of people know about.

It does play though, so that's good for people who have a few AAC albums, but it will never be supported by Cowon officially.

It's a welcome little bonus, but not an advertised feature.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:05 PM

The A3 as well as the O2 plays them, but additional software is needed to get them to play on a q5w. I always thought it strange that the A3 would play them but the q5w would not.

Old 12-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Ultra Senior Member

Cowon's ways are mysterious...

Old 12-08-2008, 03:27 PM

What about Ape support, Its still listed as TBD, are they still trying to decide?

Tags
aac